My recent trip to Dublin, a few thoughts

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Did you fill up with red diesel to save money?
Red diesel in the Republic is green (in colour, not environmentally). Red diesel is only available in Norn Iron (and the rest of the UK).

ETA: Unless smuggled across the border of course, then it is available in the south - but ‘legitimate’ rebated diesel in the Republic is dyed green.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Judging Eire by Dublin seems a bit like judging England by London. Just saying.
Well more like Manchester or Edinburgh and not by size but by the amount of public works taking place
Eta, I was judging Dublin not the country though Stillorgan is almost in the sticks

however their politics of days gone by are 'one sided' On a tour of Kilmainham Jail they only mention executions by the British. Against a wall in the prison (I saw not one bullet strike at that position) where they still have the execution chair situated. No mention of the many Irish citizens executed by their own people at Kilmainham during the Civil war on partition 1921/22. I think the numbers executed on that occasion outnumbered those executed by the British over time. Perhaps Isgt will confirm?
Does HMS Belfast, for example, say how many people they killed on D Day or in Korea? Just saying

Specifically in Kilmainham:
Between 1796 and 1910 - 180
1916 - 14
Irish Civil War - 4

There was a lot of unofficial executions in both the War of Independence and Civil War (elsewhere in the country).

Dredd

LE
Beautiful women almost everywhere apart from the grotty public housing areas around St James Gate where skanky seems to be a prevailing look!
You were doing well up to this comment.

If that was the case you would expect them to have more out-and-about as it were, since Irelands biggest export is it's people. I'm struggling to think of the last bonny trotter I could name, and I can't even name that one.

Are the Nolans still about??

ETA - I just realised - looking at the context of your post it was obvious that it wasn't necessarily home-grown. Some of the Romanian totty can be extremely easy on the eye right enough.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
I really enjoy Dublin, I like the people, the pubs and the singing in the good ones, Restaurants are good, however their politics of days gone by are 'one sided' On a tour of Kilmainham Jail they only mention executions by the British. Against a wall in the prison (I saw not one bullet strike at that position) where they still have the execution chair situated. No mention of the many Irish citizens executed by their own people at Kilmainham during the Civil war on partition 1921/22. I think the numbers executed on that occasion outnumbered those executed by the British over time. Perhaps Isgt will confirm?

The other thing that is apparent is the splendid Georgian buildings, that fact left Dublin a lovely legacy, also the fact that the city has never been bombed from the air, thus many fine buildings remain.
except it was bombed from the air by the Luftwaffe in the Blitz. Some German pilot lost his way and thought he was over a British city. If I recall correctly the bombs fell near to the customs house, but I could be way wrong on that.

Oops just seen DASs entry above.. ignore this

ugly

LE
You were doing well up to this comment.

If that was the case you would expect them to have more out-and-about as it were, since Irelands biggest export is it's people. I'm struggling to think of the last bonny trotter I could name, and I can't even name that one.

Are the Nolans still about??
Stillorgan was full of well dressed milfs

@ugly
no mention of the fact that they needed to be bailed out by the UK and others last time around and that with the drop in Eu revenue coming there will soon be another looming crisis.
loans... repaid with interest and early!

Foreigners, yup I mean those that don't speak either Gaelic or English, why move to a country that has employment issues and not speak passable lingua franca?
The Irish could solve their employment issues by banning English.
Unemployment is at 4.8%
the record low I think was 3.6% around 2001

I was particularly amused to see RTE's morning news magazine show titled "Good Morning Europe!"
Really kissing arse there and lets face it you need to pick a side and stick with it!
You sure you weren’t watching Euronews on RTE?
An European news programme that RTE rebroadcast.

You seen forget Ireland since we joined has had a very strong positive outlook towards the EU

Well more like Manchester or Edinburgh and not by size but by the amount of public works taking place
Eta, I was judging Dublin not the country though Stillorgan is almost in the sticks
No it isn’t

but one of the great things about Dublin is that (with no traffic) your in the countryside within 20-30 mins

No it isn’t

but one of the great things about Dublin is that (with no traffic) your in the countryside within 20-30 mins
One of the quite amazing things is the tunnel from the docks to the north of the city.

DAS

Old-Salt
One of the quite amazing things is the tunnel from the docks to the north of the city.
Dublin Port Tunnel. Used it once to listen to the reverb from the Tiger's exhaust. Not cheap and they now clock your speed through it, so as well as the toll you could have points to go with it!

Ok Blanket stacker! I'm Welsh and will never need you to tell me, or my compatriots what to do, not in any situation!
Firstly my commiserations on your affliction.

Secondly could you keep your worthless opinions to yourself? Your English overlords are talking on this thread and we don't need dirty, sheep-worrying, phlegm spraying, gibberish talking troglodytes distracting us.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Another, minor, point of order. Dublin was bombed on several occasions during WWII, just obviously nowhere near the extent that any British city was. And all by "accident" of course.
When visiting Dublin a few years back the GPO building was carefully noted to have been central in the '16 Uprising, but our guide had a funny accent, certainly not Irish as I would have guessed, but turned out she was a Czech maiden who took employment in ROI to learn & perfect her English as her ticket to employment paradise. In contrast to Quebec where "Henglish" is despised by gov't but definitely acknowledged by the masses.

ugly

LE
No it isn’t

I’ve been over twice with a four year gap, no sooner does a new section of Luas get finished than they start ripping apart the building next to where they were working!
Ive been to Manchester and Edinburgh as much recently and the impressions were similar
The urban strip development seems to be strong on the south side as opposed to the north side of the city but then it’s only what I see from the airport bus

Latest Threads