My recent trip to Dublin, a few thoughts

ugly

LE
Having just returned from a week in Dublin there are a few things that stick in my mind.
I imagine that The South is to a Northerner what the US is to Canada, everything looks familiar but different enough to give thought.
The current election, Irish TV (RT) is fairly busy with this yet unlike in GB there are no political posters on private property, they all seem to be on lamp posts.
Its almost as if honest folk are to embarrassed/ashamed to be seen to support any of them. The PR is obvious when you see Votail #1 and then in small print continue to support me by selecting the following (3 or 4 names would appear).
The hotel I stayed in was a business one, it had selections of the weekly business journals all puffing Bust to Boom, no mention of the fact that they needed to be bailed out by the UK and others last time around and that with the drop in Eu revenue coming there will soon be another looming crisis.
Foreigners, yup I mean those that don't speak either Gaelic or English, why move to a country that has employment issues and not speak passable lingua franca?
The Irish could solve their employment issues by banning English.
Beautiful women almost everywhere apart from the grotty public housing areas around St James Gate where skanky seems to be a prevailing look!
I was particularly amused to see RTE's morning news magazine show titled "Good Morning Europe!"
Really kissing arse there and lets face it you need to pick a side and stick with it!

Having just returned from a week in Dublin there are a few things that stick in my mind.
I imagine that The South is to a Northerner what the US is to Canada, everything looks familiar but different enough to give thought.
The current election, Irish TV (RT) is fairly busy with this yet unlike in GB there are no political posters on private property, they all seem to be on lamp posts.
Its almost as if honest folk are to embarrassed/ashamed to be seen to support any of them. The PR is obvious when you see Votail #1 and then in small print continue to support me by selecting the following (3 or 4 names would appear).
The hotel I stayed in was a business one, it had selections of the weekly business journals all puffing Bust to Boom, no mention of the fact that they needed to be bailed out by the UK and others last time around and that with the drop in Eu revenue coming there will soon be another looming crisis.
Foreigners, yup I mean those that don't speak either Gaelic or English, why move to a country that has employment issues and not speak passable lingua franca?
Beautiful women almost everywhere apart from the grotty public housing areas around St James Gate where skanky seems to be a prevailing look!
I was particularly amused to see RTE's morning news magazine show titled "Good Morning Europe!"
Really kissing arse there and lets face it you need to pick a side and stick with it!
I reckon most of the boggies want to join the UK but are too embarrassed to admit it. Like the Welsh and the Scottish, they prefer the English to tell them what to do.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Did you fill up with red diesel to save money?
Garda love out of town folk doing it, not!

ugly

LE
@irlsgt care to explain, it is an outside view looking in
Or is it only funny to point out the nuances of the uk parliament?

Judging Eire by Dublin seems a bit like judging England by London. Just saying.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I reckon most of the boggies want to join the UK but are too embarrassed to admit it. Like the Welsh and the Scottish, they prefer the English to tell them what to do.
Ok Blanket stacker! I'm Welsh and will never need you to tell me, or my compatriots what to do, not in any situation!

DAS

Old-Salt
There's actually rules about placing and removing election posters here. Bear in mind this is a single transferable vote system with generally 3 to 5 seats in each constituency. The whole vote me 1 and xyz 2 etc is attempted vote management to maximise seats. As a student of politics when I did my A levels - one of which was Government & Politics it's actually quite a riveting watch, and in-depth reviews, especially by say Ivan Yeats are real eye openers and usually accurate.
I like Dublin but being a small compact city you have the shite shows in close proximity to the nice parts, not dissimilar to many a city anywhere else. That's "humanity" for you.

DAS

Old-Salt
Post of order Sur!

Its the Gardai that are often in on it so it is
I bow to your superior knowledge. Not heard it myself and certainly not mentioned in any of the number of recent whistleblower issues. Penalty points and Breathalyser tests being the two biggies here recently that have pretty much accounted for two Garda commissioners and one Justice minister.

I bow to your superior knowledge. Not heard it myself and certainly not mentioned in any of the number of recent whistleblower issues. Penalty points and Breathalyser tests being the two biggies here recently that have pretty much accounted for two Garda commissioners and one Justice minister.
They make themselves scarce when any significant shipping is being carried on along the border… its all coincidence mind.

They are without a doubt the most corrupt Police north of sub Saharan Africa

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I really enjoy Dublin, I like the people, the pubs and the singing in the good ones, Restaurants are good, however their politics of days gone by are 'one sided' On a tour of Kilmainham Jail they only mention executions by the British. Against a wall in the prison (I saw not one bullet strike at that position) where they still have the execution chair situated. No mention of the many Irish citizens executed by their own people at Kilmainham during the Civil war on partition 1921/22. I think the numbers executed on that occasion outnumbered those executed by the British over time. Perhaps Isgt will confirm?

The other thing that is apparent is the splendid Georgian buildings, that fact left Dublin a lovely legacy, also the fact that the city has never been bombed from the air, thus many fine buildings remain.

DAS

Old-Salt
I really enjoy Dublin, I like the people, the pubs and the singing in the good ones, Restaurants are good, however their politics of days gone by are 'one sided' On a tour of Kilmainham Jail they only mention executions by the British. Against a wall in the prison (I saw not one bullet strike at that position) where they still have the execution chair situated. No mention of the many Irish citizens executed by their own people at Kilmainham during the Civil war on partition 1921/22. I think the numbers executed on that occasion outnumbered those executed by the British over time. Perhaps Isgt will confirm?

The other thing that is apparent is the splendid Georgian buildings, that fact left Dublin a lovely legacy, also the fact that the city has never been bombed from the air, thus many fine buildings remain.
Another, minor, point of order. Dublin was bombed on several occasions during WWII, just obviously nowhere near the extent that any British city was. And all by "accident" of course.

Latest Threads