• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

my polish is cracking!help!

i spent ages bulling my shoes to practice for when i start basic training but then the polish cracked when i moved the leather. how do i prevent this?

robot said:
i spent ages bulling my shoes to practice for when i start basic training but then the polish cracked when i moved the leather. how do i prevent this?
To be honest, you can only really bull that part of a shoe/boot that doesn't 'move' as it cracks, hence the toecap area and heels get the real shine. Try getting a really good brush shine on the non-toe cap/heel areas and just work on the toes and heels with the bull. If you can produce a bull, you don't need to practices it, you'll get plenty of time during basic for that, get yourself out running and upper body fitness instead, a far better investment of you time me old bean!

Good luck :D

robot said:
the_butler said:
THE BUTLERS GUIDE TO SHINY FOOTWEAR.

Equipment:
Selvyt. (Polishing cloth.) (Follow link) http://www.militarykit.com/products/raven_system/selvyt_polishing_cloth.htm
Tights ladies gs non-folding.(no fishnets or other patterns)
2x tins of polish. one must be kiwi as it contains natural beeswax.
2x good bristled boot brushes labelled on and off 
Forget the beeswax I have been waxing boots and belts for over 25 years and believe me it is not a task to be taken lightly.

Preparation:
Use the selvyt on your brasses for a bit then scrub it give it a good rinse, this reduces the nap of the material to a decent level for bulling your boots.
Always work with a damp diddley.(selvyt)
Fill your tin lid with clean cold water.
When finished, be sure to dry the lid thoroughly. It will sweat and rust if you don't and the last thing you want in the polish is rust particles. :wink:
Never use the same polish to brush polish and bob as it gets grit in it.
Always brush polish your boots first. It feeds the leather and helps to remove grit and polish flakes and helps you build up your layering.
Whatever boots you are bobbing(bulling,) either combat ammo or even plimmies (old sod) you must break them in first let them attain their natural creases as this will help reduce flaking when you walk.

Execution:
Remove excess dirt from your boots if necessary then apply a good quantity of polish from your brush polishing tin using your on brush.
Remember to pay attention to the welts removing all dirt.
If your eyelets are a bit worn and brass is showing use a black marker on them.
Using your off brush polish the shoe vigorously till a nice shine appears
Using your tights, rolled in a ball rub over the boots as this gives a very good shiny finish that goes down a treat on first parades down the tank park.
Tie a piece of string to one corner of your damp diddley.
Arrange your hand in the style of a boy scout salute, ie three fingered.
Wrap the diddley around your three fingers making sure the writing is on the outside
Use the string to secure it around your wrist.
Dip your diddley (please don’t snigger) in your water get it nice and wet and then dip it in your bobbing polish.
Apply to one section of your boot at a time rubbing in circles this is to build up the polish layers on your boots.
Keep applying polish and water and soon you will begin to see a dull shine.
As your polish builds up on the leather it will start to shine that is when you start to reduce the amount of polish you apply, just dab your fingers in the kiwi lighter and lighter enlarging the polishing circles. A lot of people have problems finishing of and can ave a smeary or even scrarced appearance. If tis happens to you then try finishing using the water bobbing method
Water bobbing.
Equipment is cotton wool balls and cold rung water.
Take your boots into the bogs ad use a sink.
Run the cold water and put a cotton wool ball under it.
Rub the wool ball on your boots in a circle and a shinier finish will start to appear. Keep rinsing and changing cotton as it will pick up polish flakes that will scratch your boots.
When you are happy with the finish make sure you remove all water from your boots as it dries and leaves white marks if you don’t.
You can if you wish bob over this finish with your diddley and try an even deeper shine.
When you are happy with your boots the next bit is a real cringer.
Wear them!! Put them on lace them up and do a quick stroll round the block.
Why you mad bugger I hear you ask
Your boots will crack along your natural creases if you go on parade with them like that you will impress no one.
When you have the natural crease cracks formed do the following:
Brush them hard with the off brush.
Brush polish them with the on brush.
Brush them vigorously with the off brush.
Rub them with your tights.
Then bob them up again this time the creases will have less polish in them and the rest of your boot won’t crack as much.

Don’t do’s.
Clear floor polish Even a cadet instructor will spot that bluff
Set fire to your polish. Never understood that one it depletes the natural oils and wax
Gloss paint. Oh yes I’ve seen it done looks great ends in tears.
Morello a German shoe product actually very good but I’ve seen toecaps fall off on parade. Works well on welts and heels.
Pledge. I’ve seen this widely used by kings troop RHA as a finishing method.

Note: In the cavalry we use our whole hands once proficient at bobbing and you get a feel for when it is right to reduce your polish and water quantities. I am telling you this method because it easier for a beginner to start off with three fingers and I Know any cavalrymen reading this will laugh but you got to start somewhere. I first learned when I was an 11 year old army cadet with a yellow duster and one finger. My basic at Bovington did not teach me any different and it was not until I became officers orderly that the other more experienced orderlies taught me the proper way to bob boots with a diddley.
As you get better at it you will develop your own style of what works for you. This is only a rough guide to get you started.

quoting myself again

nuts

robot said:
the polish cracked when i moved the leather. how do i prevent this?
Glue your shoes/boots to a sheet of 3/4" marine ply using a two-part epoxy resin. Once the glue has dried, simply cut around your boots with a jigsaw, paint the plywood black to blend in with the original soles and voila, your footwear will be totally inflexible and no longer liable to crack.

Hope this helps.

thanku. in reply i have been out running etc today and was bored so i thought id try and make my shoes shiny. i have a sad and un fulfilled life!thanku for your tips they are sure to help.

If you're that bored, you could take some pictures of your funbags and growler and send them to me/post them in the Gallery?

Bull boots? Arent there more important things to learn in Basic than that crap?? FFS any unit except guards shoulds have no need to spend aimless time bulling boots!!!

Fuchs66 said:
I read the title and thought you were bigging it about your language skills. :D
genius, eh :?: :?: :?: :?:

Ronnie8781 said:
Bull boots? Arent there more important things to learn in Basic than that crap?? FFS any unit except guards shoulds have no need to spend aimless time bulling boots!!!
So only the guards should have standards? Yeah good drills!

No but there is more important things to do than bull feckin boots, highly polished is fine, why spend precious hours doing that when you could be learning some valuable lessons of real soldiering!!

It teaches people to take a pride in their appearance. So let's chuck drill away too, after we could just walk smartly about the place.

In fact, since we spend most of our operational time in deserts lets just were those nice comfy boots all day.

As for dress uniforms they're just silly.

Hmmm you're not in the RAF by any chance?

fish-head said:
It teaches people to take a pride in their appearance. So let's chuck drill away too, after we could just walk smartly about the place.

In fact, since we spend most of our operational time in deserts lets just were those nice comfy boots all day.

No Royal Engineers actually, I think you are taking thingas a bit too far!! There is highly polished boots then there is bulling lets waste loads of time boots? Surely in todays world getting on with learning how to soldier is more important bulling boots.

Now let me have an un-educated guess, you are in a regiment/unit that has far too much bullshit? Such as Houshold Cav? RHA? Guards?

Drill is a nescessary lesson for every member of the forces, I do think that if you are issued only 2 pairs of boots in Basic Training and then reduce it down to one pair of working boots and one pair of best boots is not the way forward. A cheap pair of patent boots with studs to aide grip and balance would be the way to go.

Ronnie8781 said:
fish-head said:

No Royal Engineers actually, I think you are taking thingas a bit too far!! There is highly polished boots then there is bulling lets waste loads of time boots? Surely in todays world getting on with learning how to soldier than to bull boots.

Now let me have an un-educated guess, you are in a regiment/unit that has far too much bullshit? Such as Houshold Cav? RHA? Guards?
At least one RHA Regiment doesn't do bullshit as a matter of course. Not after we got to Aldershot anyway.