My old reg rank & the TA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by FreddyF, Nov 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I served with the Reg for 10 years and left a Cpl in 2004.

If I join the TA now, after being out for so long, will I have to start back at the beginning as a day 1 Pte? Or can I attend refresher courses to keep my old rank?
  2. Speak to the unit.

One thing that might happen is that you end up with a crow regimental number.

I don't think they will make you suck an egg, and to phase 1 again, as it's less than ten years, but like I said, check with the unit to be sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Over 6 years equals re-do basic and all previously held qualifications expired. You will have to start again, but a sensible unit will acknowledge your previous experience (assuming it is relevant to the unit you join) and push you towards regaining rank as fast as possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I thought I might have to do Basic again (least it wont be like the first time around!)

Dont fancy losing my number much though! I always assumed you kept your number?
  5. Nope I got a new one. It was my belief it was 3 years, not 6.
  6. Best way to progress is to be a regular attender for proper training weekends (not just the range days or piss ups) and a good example to other privates when you are there.
    It's like any other job the rewards come to those willing to take personal responsibility for things and who can be relied upon to see a job though.

But don't expect to be popular while you do it. You will have to put up with the cliques and people's gripes about it being buggins turn before you get there.
    If you are lucky you won't have to succomb to the SQMS's carnal desires first, though it certainly seemed to help get that first stripe in my last Yeomanry unit.

The one thing TA don't like is ex Regulars that think they have an entitlement to rank simply because they were Regulars. Most units value good ex Regulars, be daft not to.
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The introduction of JPA (new admin computer system) means that those serving at the time of data migration kept their number, rejoiners get issued a new one.
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

3 for rank and quals, 6 to redo basic.
  9. I'm not an expert on this mate so don't take it as gospel, but I know re-joins in the regs that have been given a crow number thanks to JPA.

You can't imagine how happy they were...
  10. What do numbers start with these days? mine was 2503 (I know that still makes me a crow in a lot of peoples eyes!)
  11. 300 or 301 now! :D
  12. You sure it's 6? I was sent back to do basic in Jan 2003 I left full time in Oct 99. I applied to join in 2002 as well. As for Rank depends if you are going back into old capbage and trade I lost mine
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

brettarider, it has changed quite a bit, mainly because there was little in the way of fixed policy. Different units/Bdes treated the issue differently.

At one stage I could bring someone back on strength on the basis of a pen picture being signed off by a Bde SO2 subject to MATTs passes within 12 months. It is now more formally structured, and (from memory) the 3 years relates to rank and quals to allow for skill fade, but you can rejoin as a Pte without redoing basic up to the 6 year point.
  14. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

If you were on JPA when you left then you should regain your old number, if you weren't then you will get a new one, can't remember when JPA formally kicked in.

15. I left 01st April 2004... looks like JPA rolled out in 2006... Yet another pants system the MOD pump loads of money into!

I remember TA soldiers use to turn up on tour with old 'dead mans number' -yet a living soldier cant keep hold of his!!