My nipples are stuck.

HE117

LE
@HE117 Graphite or molybdenum?

Then perhaps the 'carrying' agent of those might be mineral based.
Yep.. either would probably do...

You just need something with a bit of "body" in it that will not get burned out or evaporate..

HE117

LE
The problem is that if the bolts have been heat treated in any way during production, they will loose their strenght throuh overheating.
Agree...

do not put heat anywhere near the working parts of a gun unless you really know what you are doing.. strictly speaking any "hot work", even soft soldering, puts a gun out of proof and it needs to be re-tested before being used again!

So OK @flieslikeabeagle explain why you disagree with using copper anti seize or gorilla grease on percussion nipple thread..?

Nipple threads are not that fine and needs something to stop the crud getting in and jamming them.. normal grease is too soft and just gets blown out. You need a loaded grease that leaves a lubricating residue. The flame that comes back from even a black powder chamber is very abrasive and will cut into threads or vents over time. The vents on old percussion guns were often lined with platinum to reduce this wear. You should always take out the nipples and clean them after shooting as some cap residues are quite corrosive (be very careful if you are using old or foreign caps as some still have chlorides in them..).

Nipple wrenches are not that difficult to make if you have access to a lathe. They are basically a tube with a slot cut in them. You need to make sure the prongs are reasonably tough as they need to withstand a fair torque. I make them out out of EN3 and case harden or Silver steel hardened and tempered to blue.. (same as a screwdriver). The Italian wrenches sold by the likes of Krank are often too loose and/or soft to be useful...
I can't see a post by flies like a beagle.

ex_colonial

On ROPS
On ROPs
Damn, this thread was not what I thought it might be :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I can't see a post by flies like a beagle.
Silent comment (dislike) to post #003 by HE117.

In fairness it could be a case of clamjouster fingers.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Bet you won't be silenced.

By the way, update from last night. Now the saga continues ... After a few days soaking came the time to have a go to get them out! I've lost the bloody wrench :-( :roll: @.@ I going to have to buy one from Kranks. I though about just making one but its too much trouble.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Some of Kranks kit is a bit soft, see earlier post.
If you're a serious BP shooter, it's well worth getting quality nipple wrenches in each size you need.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Wise ? I'm thicker than Ghurka's foreskin.

Depending on the metal you may be able to harden it up, but get some advice from someone here who isn't on a swan cse where we can hit the piss each day. :-D

HE117

LE
@Cutaway Agreed, the one I have/had is a Kranks thing I think. So, enlighten me oh wise one, where to get a 'proper' one?
Is is a Uberti New model Army or similar?

I may be able to help! I tend to make T shaped wrenches rather than the proper L shaped ones.. you can't use them with the cylinder in the frame, however they are stronger..

Knowing my luck if I harden it, it will snap :D provided I can find the bloody thing. I've been mainly long arm shooting of late hence the willing to shoot the remmy for a change.

Latest Threads