Zalman ZM-GWB3, CPU Water Block zu Reserator Modelle
CHF 33.-

1 Stück
Thermaltake Soprano DX VE7000BWS, Black Metal, Window
CHF 119.-

Whats with all the foreign sh1te?

Mr Happy said:
go on, I'll bite - why?
It's a load of pony! Why would you pay for an operating system that doesn't work well with other applications? That uses more system resources then necessary and has more security holes then HMRC!

Try this! www.debian.org

It's free - saving a massive £250 odd quid - will allow your hardware to soar like an eagle and is more secure then secure thing from secure-ville.

Bravo2nothing said:
Mr Happy said:
go on, I'll bite - why?
It's a load of pony! Why would you pay for an operating system that doesn't work well with other applications? That uses more system resources then necessary and has more security holes then HMRC!

Try this! www.debian.org

It's free - saving a massive £250 odd quid - will allow your hardware to soar like an eagle and is more secure then secure thing from secure-ville.
Yes but does it play crysis, BF2142, WOW and a myriad of other games that this system will be built for?

EX_REME said:
Bravo2nothing said:
Mr Happy said:
go on, I'll bite - why?

Try this! www.debian.org

Yes but does it play crysis, BF2142, WOW and a myriad of other games that this system will be built for?
PS3 and 360s are for gamming! Call of Duty 4 is proof indeed, especially across the interweb!

Bravo2nothing said:
EX_REME said:
Bravo2nothing said:
Mr Happy said:
go on, I'll bite - why?

Try this! www.debian.org

PS3 and 360s are for gamming! Call of Duty 4 is proof indeed, especially across the interweb!
So it doesn't?
Unless he is video editing or some such, I presume he is buying it for gaming........or he could just get a desktop for around £150 and use that for email and browsing.......The PC is the best gaming machine ever and these pretenders will never catch up.

Ignoring the PC versus Console argument. Looks a very nice machine, my comments are purely my personal fine tuning points, nothing wrong with your choices.

The 1TB drive: When I brough my machine 6 weeks ago, the cost of 2 x 500Gb drives was vastly less than a single 1Tb drive, so I might have gone that route.

With the cost saving above, go for the 8800 rather than the 8600, the ultra if you can stretch to it, the GTX if not.

See if you can get 2 x 2GB sticks of memory, when I brought mine, the cost was the same, although 4GB seems huge, you can never tell :D

And lastly just in case you were not aware, 32bit OS's cannot address all 4GB memory, but they will still address over 3Gb of it usually (depending on other system factors) so its still worth getting, and the future is 64 bit anyway.... eventually :D

You want to use the internet and read email? (sharp intake of breath) Ooh, you'll need a top of the line machine! :D

Bravo2nothing said:
Mr Happy said:
go on, I'll bite - why?

Try this! www.debian.org

It always amuses me why Linux users and Apple users always come across as the "Football holigans" of the IT world..... "WIndows, feckin W@nk mate!!! Load of old b@llocks, you must be a c@nt if you using Microsoft"

Each to there own I say. If your machine does what you want it to do "be happy". Apparently, technically speaking, betamax was a far superior format to VHS. Bet they had this sort of argument in those days as well. (All be it slower as they must have hand written all the abuse :D )

D

Deleted 20555

Don't buy Vista - if you do and end up swearing at the new computer while it makes humming noises with a blank screen don't come crying to us!!

Be careful which version of Vista you get, as the business orientated ones don't have the picture / video editing / burning included.

msr

I'm about to order a near-identical system, except

- going for an 8800GTS

- sticking with about 500GB hard disk (2x 250) which is a ten times more than I use on any of my other PCs

- going to go with Vista Ultimate, because i live in Russia and want to have route to get around all the language-coding problems (although some say you can only convert english vista to foreign, not foreign to english...)

Without wanting to hijack the thread, I do want to ask two questions that might also be useful to Mr Happy:

1. why are some core 2 duo chips more expensive than core 2 quads - which is the best future-proof (ie 3-5 years) choice?

2. if my new PC is going to have the above lifespan - with upgrades - do I need Vista 64?

In some respects the Duo versus Quad debate is similar to the SLI/Crossfire versus single card debate.

Although I own a Quad (Q6600) it is not twice as fast as a Duo, as most systems dont cope with duo core yet never mind Quad. However Quad core is great for multiple tasks at once, and I am banking on it taking off and more and more apps being coded for it. Using the Graphics card analogy, consider a Cheap Quad core as being a Crossfire ATI 1950 set up versus a dual core, 8800 ultra setup. So an expensive Dual Core chip may well outperform your Quad Core chip in most things today, but the Quad Core may have the edge the more apps you run and as newer apps come out.

With regard to the 64 bit OS, I would love to believe that it will happen soon, but I dont actually think it will, The key driver will be the market. As it stands now the PC explosion has happened under 32 bit, so there are millions of people out there who wont throw away what they have just yet, and so 64 bit I dont think will take off for another 3 - 5 years anyway (by take off, I mean become mainstream)

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
From experience - DO NOT go for a 1Tb drive, when 2 x 500Gig are similar price. Cutting-edge disk-squeezing like that is risky. It won't be in a year, but it is now, and you'll be running a 'test bed' hard disk with your vital data on it.

4(T) said:
I'm about to order a near-identical system, except

- going for an 8800GTS

- sticking with about 500GB hard disk (2x 250) which is a ten times more than I use on any of my other PCs

- going to go with Vista Ultimate, because i live in Russia and want to have route to get around all the language-coding problems (although some say you can only convert english vista to foreign, not foreign to english...)

Without wanting to hijack the thread, I do want to ask two questions that might also be useful to Mr Happy:

1. why are some core 2 duo chips more expensive than core 2 quads - which is the best future-proof (ie 3-5 years) choice?

2. if my new PC is going to have the above lifespan - with upgrades - do I need Vista 64?
Size of the level 2 cache and Front side bus speed.

As for question 2, the jury is still out on 64 bit processing and applications. There should be a marked inprovement of performance. However untill demand has risen considerably, software developers are reluctant to write 64bit code, so at the moment the extra cost is not worth paying.