My new PC - any comments before the order is dispatched

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Mr Happy, Dec 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

1 Stück
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4 GHz, 2x4MB, inkl. CRYSIS Retail
    CHF 369.-

1 Stück
    Asus P5N32-E SLI, nForce 680i SLI
    CHF 271.-

1 Stück
    OCZ Platinum-Series 4x1GB Kit, DDR2-800, CL4-5-4-18
    CHF 209.-

2 Stück
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, 7200rpm, 32MB, 1TB, SATA-II
    CHF 408.-

2 Stück
    XpertVision GeForce 8600GTS, PCI-E, 256MB GDDR3
    CHF 195.-

1 Stück
    Toshiba SD-H802A, HD-DVD-ROM, Black, bulk
    CHF 137.-

1 Stück
    Plextor PX-810SA, 18x DVD-ReWriter, SATA, Retail, black
    CHF 97.-

1 Stück
    Zalman Reserator I V2, Lüfterlose Wasserkühlung
    CHF 315.-

1 Stück
    Yesico FL-550, 550W, FANLESS, Thermal Management TMS2
    CHF 284.-

1 Stück
    Modding IDE Kabel blau, gerundet, 90 cm, 2 Anschlüsse
    CHF 17.-

1 Stück
    Zalman ZM-STG1 Wärmeleitpaste, 3.5g
    CHF 11.-

1 Stück
    Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, mit Carl Zeiss Optik
    CHF 119.-

1 Stück
    Harman/Kardon SoundSticks II, 2.1 System
    CHF 245.-

1 Stück
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, EN, DSP, DVD
    CHF 240.-

1 Stück
    Sharkoon Media Reader 2, 30-in-1 Cardreader intern
    CHF 29.-

1 Stück
    Zalman ZM-GWB3, CPU Water Block zu Reserator Modelle
    CHF 33.-

1 Stück
    Thermaltake Soprano DX VE7000BWS, Black Metal, Window
    CHF 119.-
  2. Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, EN, DSP, DVD????????????????

Are you mad???
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

go on, I'll bite - why?
  4. Whats with all the foreign sh1te?
  5. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

fish lips
  6. It's a load of pony! Why would you pay for an operating system that doesn't work well with other applications? That uses more system resources then necessary and has more security holes then HMRC!

Try this!

It's free - saving a massive £250 odd quid - will allow your hardware to soar like an eagle and is more secure then secure thing from secure-ville.
  7. Yes but does it play crysis, BF2142, WOW and a myriad of other games that this system will be built for?
  8. PS3 and 360s are for gamming! Call of Duty 4 is proof indeed, especially across the interweb!
  9. So it doesn't?
    Unless he is video editing or some such, I presume he is buying it for gaming........or he could just get a desktop for around £150 and use that for email and browsing.......The PC is the best gaming machine ever and these pretenders will never catch up.
  10. Ignoring the PC versus Console argument. Looks a very nice machine, my comments are purely my personal fine tuning points, nothing wrong with your choices.

The 1TB drive: When I brough my machine 6 weeks ago, the cost of 2 x 500Gb drives was vastly less than a single 1Tb drive, so I might have gone that route.

With the cost saving above, go for the 8800 rather than the 8600, the ultra if you can stretch to it, the GTX if not.

See if you can get 2 x 2GB sticks of memory, when I brought mine, the cost was the same, although 4GB seems huge, you can never tell :D

And lastly just in case you were not aware, 32bit OS's cannot address all 4GB memory, but they will still address over 3Gb of it usually (depending on other system factors) so its still worth getting, and the future is 64 bit anyway.... eventually :D
  11. You want to use the internet and read email? (sharp intake of breath) Ooh, you'll need a top of the line machine! :D
  12. It always amuses me why Linux users and Apple users always come across as the "Football holigans" of the IT world..... "WIndows, feckin W@nk mate!!! Load of old b@llocks, you must be a c@nt if you using Microsoft"

Each to there own I say. If your machine does what you want it to do "be happy". Apparently, technically speaking, betamax was a far superior format to VHS. Bet they had this sort of argument in those days as well. (All be it slower as they must have hand written all the abuse :D )
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Don't buy Vista - if you do and end up swearing at the new computer while it makes humming noises with a blank screen don't come crying to us!!
  14. Vista works fine for me
  15. msr

msr LE

Be careful which version of Vista you get, as the business orientated ones don't have the picture / video editing / burning included.