My new favourite rifle is....

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Norwegian M/1894 Krag-Jørgensen long rifle from 1901! I'm really looking forward to taking it to the range.

Attached Files:

2. great looking rifle mate, keep on enjoying the range ! Sorry to say some on here seem to think range shooting and the use of bolt action rifles is sad ! B*****ks to the lot i say !

3. Thanks! I'll be booking some range time this week if all goes well, as I have a couple of new purchases to try out.

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick with regard to people's attitudes here though.

4. Interesting looking piece of kit. Do tell us how the shooting goes, it would be interesting to know what kind of groups you can get with it.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No thats a proper rifle, never been neutered. It was also adopted by the Yanks to replace the 45.70 and that and the krag both served in the Spanish wars in Cuba etc. Nice piece of History there. I wonder what replaced it?

6. 1903 Springfield

7. in Norweigan Service wouldnt that have been the Kar98k and Garand post 1945?

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks I was thinking Norway, it didnt soldier on until 1945 surely?

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bloody hell it did, that 6.5 is a damn fine round so if the rifle works then why not;
    Norway

Type Calibre Service
    Kammerlader Breech-loading Minié ball 1842-1870
    Remington M1867 Rolling block 12.17x44mm 1867-1908
    Jarmann M1884 Bolt action 10.15x61mmR 1884-1900
    Krag-Jørgensen M1894 Bolt-action 6.5x55mm 1894-1945
    Lee-Enfield No 4 Bolt-action .303 British 1940-1945
    Mauser M98 Bolt-action 7.92x57mm Mauser (Navy) .30-06 Springfield (Army, Airforce, Police) 1945-1968
    Selvladegevær M1 Semi-Automatic .30-06 Springfield 1950-Present (limited use for drill/display)
    AG-3 Selective fire 7.62x51mm NATO 1964-Present
    Heckler & Koch HK416 Selective fire 5.56x45mm NATO 2008-Present
    Heckler & Koch HK417 Selective fire 7.62x51mm NATO 2008-Present

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

To 6.5 x 55. Lots of life in the old horse yet and this rifle is soooooo nice. Built for a job, knocking down deer and doing it with one shot.

Attached Files:

11. tight group--what was range....25m? ;-)

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ah well its better than normal, its at 50 yards and I always seem to have a 3rd or 4th round flier of the bench unsupported. Its a nice rifle and most were apparently imported into the US being in long action calibres such as 06 and 270.
    I'll not pretend to be a marksman but I'm not a bad stalker even if I say so myself.

13. Nice rifle, never shot one yet. My favourites are my "neutered" M14/M1A and my AR15; I have quite a few others but they don't get out much these days.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Straight pull seems such a balls ache, I tried a Ruger Mini 14, an AR and an AK and didnt really like any of them. I have had a malfunctioning slr which meant I had to finish the APWT final phase single shot cocking each one, that really put me off neutered gats for life.

15. Wow Great, a chance to practise your IA drills!!

'Neutered' straight-pull or no shooting, I made the choice. I must admit it does take a bit of getting used to after the semi-autos.
    I also like pissing off some of the old boy target shooters by using them in club competitions, old prejudices are hard to shake for some folks. Some can not believe that a military looking rifle can shoot so accurately.
    Strange how one can be (semi) trusted with an automatic weapon when serving but not when you hang up your boots. The law's an ass, we all know that but barring a revolution, what can we do. I'll continue to piss with the cock I've got as long as I can piss.