My new company car - let ARRSE decide (if you can be arrsed)

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Pocoyo, Oct 23, 2007.

1. AUDI A4

2. Lexus IS

3. Mercedes C Class

4. Jaguar S Type

5. Citroen 2cv or something similiar

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here goes,

I'm spoilt for choice and need a steer. I can have the company car of my choice (within certain guidelines) up to a value of approx £30k.

It's a fully maintained deal, 3 years/60,000 miles, ins, tax etc etc.

I am aware of the tax/CO2 implications so no concerns there.

After a little research I am nearing a decision point. I am stuck between 4 choices at the mo but happy to consider others if anyone has any bright ideas.

I have narrowed it down to the following choices;

1. AUDI A4(08) Avant 2.7 TDI SE 5Dr - £27,680
    2. Lexus IS 220d 2.2 SE-L 4Dr - £27,882
    3. Mercedes C220 CDI Sport 4Dr - £26,573
    4. Jaguar S-Type 2.7d V6 XS 4Dr - £30,000

These are in my current order of preference but I can be swayed by reason. The guidelines are very basic, company image, exec status etc.

The following are absolute no-no's, it's a personal thing.

Any BMW
    Any Volvo (the scourge of bikers everywhere)

I've never owned a brand new car before so I could even say I'm nearly excited (but only nearly).

All suggestions welcome.
  2. I had the same problem chosing my last company car. Bedford or Lanny?

F*ck, I was losing sleep on that one.
  3. Bugatti Veyron, duh...

If it was me I'd have either the Jag or the Audi, but more inclined towards the Jag (good old British engineering). Not the lexus because theyre driven by second rate drug dealers, and I just dont like the styling coming from Merc.

So, the Jag.
  4. Do you really want help, or is this a "look at me" thread?
  5. Who cares JAG, JAG, JAG, JAG, JAG, with the sound track of minder playing in the back ground hahahaha
  6. You mean I might be the first person to ever get a company car ? have a word mate, this is the motoring forum.
  7. Jag S type is about to be replaced with a radically different model, so don't touch. Also residual values are bugger all (only a factor depending on how your company buys its vehicles).

While the Audi should be good, have a look at a rice burner if you want something fast for that money. Does it have to be a new car? Could you not buy a 1 year old car with the same finance? That way you could get a serious car. If age is not a problem you could buy a superb Lotus Esprit V8 for 24k or a good Porsche 911. Noble and Marcos models are also available.
  8. company bike then
  9. Was that the Bedford RL and Series 3 L/R biccies :wink:
  10. Not sure about if it has to be new but I'll check. Although I'd love a really sporty car I don't think it would go down too well with the company so I have to think sensible (to some extent) . I drive an AUDI A6 with 200k on the clock now and I'm a bit of a fan, it still drives like new but I don't need the space anymore, hence the lean towards an A4.

I'll be doing a lot of miles too so diesel is the way forward (i think), mainly because I get 40p a mile back for a cost of about 10p a mile so economic sense, obviously this goes down to 20p a mile after 10k.
  11. Why not save a shed load of money & earn brownie points with the fleet manager & plump for a VW Passat ? A very underated car.

12. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I am a bit of a Saab fan. They give a good kick of speed, get mid range accelaration (the aero is faster than porsche 911 between 50 - 90 mph), great fuel economy (my company saab is a diesel and does an average 51.1 mpg) and are comfortable and reliable.

If you want a status symbol, don't get a Saab - but they do the job really well.

If you want one with loads of poke go for the Aero 9-3, if you want loads of space and good economy (that still does 95mph for less than 2600rpm - Autobahn before I get the nudges and winks) go for the 9-3 Vector Sport Wagon 2.2TiD that is what I have and it is just what I need.
  13. Cheers Mysteron, I can't find the 2.2TiD in "What Car" do you know if it has been replaced by the 1.9TiD 180 Aero ?
  14. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Erm, duuno!!!

Mine is a 06 plate 150bhp. But the 1.9TiD 180bhp aero is a good wagon. I am actually going to book a test drive next month in one for next years company car.

By the Way - did you know that Saab give you a 5 day test period if you want. That way you can get the measure of the car if you want to.
  15. If only, it would make life easier.

1 x Ducati 1098
    1 x Ducati engineer on permanent call
    1 x White van to carry broken down Ducati around in!

Might crumple the suit though.