My names Carrots and Im a fat b*stard!

#1
Right, I'm up to my neck in the annual search for the best mince pie available on the high street. So far, I've come across (I know, it's not that exciting!) a few good 'uns, but I've been disappointed by the large empty space under their crusts. What's happened to standards?

Anyway, what's the consensus? Who makes the best mince pies? Do you go for quantity over quality?
 

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#2
Marks and Spencers...
 
#3
Without a doubt, it has to be Greggs. Light pastry; deep, spicy filling and at six for a quid..damned good value.
 
#4
rockape623 said:
Without a doubt, it has to be Greggs. Light pastry; deep, spicy filling and at six for a quid..damned good value.
Agree with you there. Lovely with a bit of fresh cream on top.
 
#5
Should be banned. Bloody horrible things. If you're talking sausage rolls - now defo got to be reeves the baker. Yum Yum. I could live on them forever. May become a fat b**tard, but who cares - at least i'll be happy!!
 

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
#6
rockape623 said:
Without a doubt, it has to be Greggs. Light pastry; deep, spicy filling and at six for a quid..damned good value.
I think he is referring to the sickly fruit filled confection much favoured by ladies and homosexuals, rather than the piping hot gravy dribbling mince pies Greggs sell.

And Dicksons pork shop up Shields Road knocks spots off of the Greggs variety.
 
#7
You are correct Duke, though how you knew I`m a Hom astounds me!

Spot on about Dicksons as well.
 

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
#8
rockape623 said:
Spot on about Dicksons as well.
I'd wax lyrical about the joys of a savloy dip with everything on, but lets not confuse the poor Southern shandy drinkers?
 
#9
Jesus it feels like im home allready
 
#10
dingdangdoforme said:
Should be banned. Bloody horrible things.
Agreed!! It's Stollen cake you want, and wee sherry. Followed by 10 pints of Guinness.
 
#11
Heartbreaklane said:
dingdangdoforme said:
Should be banned. Bloody horrible things.
Agreed!! It's Stollen cake you want, and wee sherry. Followed by 10 pints of Guinness.
I would agree with the Stollen but draw the line at sherry made from wee. :p
 
#12
rockape623 said:
Without a doubt, it has to be Greggs. Light pastry; deep, spicy filling and at six for a quid..damned good value.
Never have felt the same about Greggs after a flatmates bout of Jaundice, eventually tracked down to one of the nice ladies who merrily spread it to 10s of folks in Brunsfield, Edinburgh from the branch there. Shop was ripped for v poor hygeine.

:puker:
 
#13
Heartbreaklane said:
dingdangdoforme said:
Should be banned. Bloody horrible things.
Agreed!! It's Stollen cake you want, and wee sherry. Followed by 10 pints of Guinness.
OH FFS. I'm off to the German PX this afto - I'm dribbling more than I usually do :twisted:

Its not Hom to eat Stollen is it?
 
#14
ricksahw - dont worry about the dribble. It is a perfectly natural phenomenon for men to dribble at this time of year. Bloody GF/herindoors/shag pal/bitch or what ever put too much pressure on us. They want the world i tell you and expect us to drop every thing (including the pron) and help. They excpect bloody miracles. BOLLOCKS TO THEM. Dribble away my friend.
 
#15
MIRACLES - help. they are only miracles to us men.
 
#16
dingdangdoforme said:
ricksahw - dont worry about the dribble. It is a perfectly natural phenomenon for men to dribble at this time of year. Bloody GF/herindoors/shag pal/bitch or what ever put too much pressure on us. They want the world i tell you and expect us to drop every thing (including the pron) and help. They excpect bloody miracles. balls TO THEM. Dribble away my friend.
You're right but I forgot her birthday yesterday so I'll be self-induced dribbling 'til the New Year. :D
 
#17
rickshaw - you are well and truly fcuked mate. Just make sure you have plenty of man size dribble absorbing tissues handy.
 

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
#18
Anybody ever come across Lardy Cake? From Lancashire or somewhere down south? Its like Stollen for men.
 
#19
rickshaw-major said:
You're right but I forgot her birthday yesterday so I'll be self-induced dribbling 'til the New Year. :D
Why do they get so upset about that? It's not as if we do it on purpose.

This tea-break I 'as been mostly eatin' M&S Connisseur mince-pies. Not bad, chock full of brandy but a bit light on filling.

The search continues.
 
#20
TheIronDuke said:
Anybody ever come across Lardy Cake? From Lancashire or somewhere down south? Its like Stollen for men.
West Country speciality isn't it?
Raisins and lard folded into teacake dough and cooked.
Southern equiv of the Eccles cake I think.
Both are nice dunked in tea.
:)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Flyingrockdj RAC 5
Bad CO Aviation 12
leeanne The Intelligence Cell 15

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top