My Mum's pension - cannot open a bank account for her

The showstopper is that they want to see either her Driving Licence (she had never driven), or her Passport (not sure when it expired but I suspect it was more than three months ago). The girl also mentioned an alternative - a Residency Permit. What exactly is that, and can Mum get on pretty sharpish?

And there's the kicker. When my Dad died and the bank account was only in his name, trying to get my Mum to take over the account was horrendous. As you've said, no driving licence, passport expired years ago, they wouldn't take the post office account, where she had her pension paid into, as proof.

Probate had given her all the assets but she couldn't touch them or draw money out. Thank goodness for the post office account.

Finally, the bank manager said if she knew someone with an account at the same bank who could sign to say they knew who she was they would accept that. Luckily enough, my sister in law had an account at the same branch and had to sign a statement saying she personally knew my Mum.

Everything else (utility bills all in my Dad's name) seemed to elicit the response "computer says no", even letters from the council weren't accepted as they weren't on the approved list.

Nightmare. Best of luck in getting it sorted.

Yokel

LE
And there's the kicker. When my Dad died and the bank account was only in his name, trying to get my Mum to take over the account was horrendous. As you've said, no driving licence, passport expired years ago, they wouldn't take the post office account, where she had her pension paid into, as proof.

Probate had given her all the assets but she couldn't touch them or draw money out. Thank goodness for the post office account.

Finally, the bank manager said if she knew someone with an account at the same bank who could sign to say they knew who she was they would accept that. Luckily enough, my sister in law had an account at the same branch and had to sign a statement saying she personally knew my Mum.

Everything else (utility bills all in my Dad's name) seemed to elicit the response "computer says no", even letters from the council weren't accepted as they weren't on the approved list.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I am the named person to get money out of Mum's Post Office account, but as it is her money, and she worked hard for decades for it, so I am not keen to have it placed into my account. For years I have begged her not to let in accumulate but to put it in a bank account where it can earn a little interest.

Do you think I get listened to?

D

Deleted 181499

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I am the named person to get money out of Mum's Post Office account, but as it is her money, and she worked hard for decades for it, so I am not keen to have it placed into my account. For years I have begged her not to let in accumulate but to put it in a bank account where it can earn a little interest.

Do you think I get listened to?
probably not, number of a number, keep trying,

BlipDriver

War Hero
Age UK just offered very general advice. As for Virgin, there have not called back and there is no phone number for dealing with opening an account and those sorts of questions.

Unless I missed the number - but I do not think so.
It is very well hidden, took me a while to find again: can be found at Current Account Questions
"Opening a new account"
"How can I apply for an M Plus account"

The account can be opened online, in Store or call us on 0800 121 7365.
As part of the application we need to verify your name and address. We’ll try to check this digitally first and can verify most applicants this way.
If not, we’ll post you an authentication code to your home address, to confirm this is where you live, and you can use this when you send us images of your ID online. There’s a list of the ID we can accept here.

You should have used the probate to transfer the balance to her account rather than take over his.

I could suggest an LPA here, but I'll save the electrons...

Yokel

LE
What a carry on! I seem to have spent hours setting up and account, going through the frustrating process of a 'liveness' check via mobile phone and and having umpteen rejections of passport pictures, getting a customer number, but then getting locked out as the system did not send me a password.

Customer services has told me the department who can help stop working at 1700.

Grrrr! Like herding cats...

Yokel

LE
Last edited:
She would still have needed an account to be set up. I would feel very uncomfortable with having her pension money paid into my account, and I am pretty certain that should would also be less than happy.

Just need to finish it off and write to the Pensions people.
You're wrong again. It would be her account. The LPA lets you act in her name.

Plus you're going to need one for her sooner or later. I can strongly recommend sooner, while she has mental capacity.

If only to save us all from another dull thread of Yokel woe.

Yokel

LE
All set up - in the end she/I went with the Virgin M Plus account. Setting up the security and identity checks was a right royal pain, be we got there in the end with out too much swearing. A pleasant Scottish woman finalised setting up the sort code and account number this morning, and I have just set up mobile banking.

Which is funny in a way, as I have not yet install the app for my bank on the replacement phone.

Letter sent to Pensions Agency with new account details via recorded delivery. Just need conformation from them, and wait for the card and paperwork to come in the post.

Yokel

LE
Confirmation of change of details received from Pensions Agency last week. Today I logged on to her new account and can see the first payment. It works!

Next question, is there an easy way to transfer money from a Post Office account? I suppose I should phone them up, but am I missing something obvious.

Confirmation of change of details received from Pensions Agency last week. Today I logged on to her new account and can see the first payment. It works!

Next question, is there an easy way to transfer money from a Post Office account? I suppose I should phone them up, but am I missing something obvious.

Take the cash out of the PO account and deposit it in the Virgin account at the same counter. If there are limits or restrictions, ask them what is the procedure to get £X from PO acct to Virgin acct.