My Mum's pension - cannot open a bank account for her

Yokel

LE
The new breed of digital banks are more accommodating. Starling are very good.

Will give them a bell, if I hear nothing from Virgin - the attraction of them is still being able to access funds via the Post Office. Starling seems to offer the same, and they do have a customer service number I could try.

We do not want an LPA - in case anyone asks.

Yokel

LE
Will give them a bell, if I hear nothing from Virgin - the attraction of them is still being able to access funds via the Post Office. Starling seems to offer the same, and they do have a customer service number I could try.

We do not want an LPA - in case anyone asks.

The showstopper is that they want to see either her Driving Licence (she had never driven), or her Passport (not sure when it expired but I suspect it was more than three months ago). The girl also mentioned an alternative - a Residency Permit. What exactly is that, and can Mum get on pretty sharpish?

That's why you have an LPA: you go in and show yours. Job jobbed.

Yokel

LE
That's why you have an LPA: you go in and show yours. Job jobbed.

Oh err - I am not sure that an LPA is appropriate. She is still capable of keeping tracks of things, arranging appointments, giving people grief over the phone....

Anyway - for some reason I thought the Passports expired after five years. Mum's is still in date - phew. Still need my mobile phone for set up, so hopefully that will be back early next week.

I am think I am cracking up. Too many things going on, and I managed to run out of antidepressants. Wibble!

Oh err - I am not sure that an LPA is appropriate. She is still capable of keeping tracks of things, arranging appointments, giving people grief over the phone....
I (and my brother) have LPA over our patents. They're both still fully functioning and have no signs of deterioration.

Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it.

I (and my brother) have LPA over our patents. They're both still fully functioning and have no signs of deterioration.

Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it.
This ^ my Brother has LPA over me , not used it ( to my knowledge ) yet, but its in place in case I loose my
faculty's .

Anyway - for some reason I thought the Passports expired after five years. Mum's is still in date - phew. Still need my mobile phone for set up, so hopefully that will be back early next week.

I am think I am cracking up. Too many things going on, and I managed to run out of antidepressants. Wibble!
Do you want to solve the problem (for £82) or spend the rest of her life wibbling about it on here?

Get it set up while she has mental capacity. Once she loses that you have the devil's own job to get one sorted.

Aphra

Old-Salt
The whole point of an LPA is so that if the person becomes incapable of managing their own finances or making decisions about their health, their nominee can immediately step in. Without an LPA, should the person become incapable, the only recourse is the Office of Public Guardianship and that is hugely expensive.

You can't set an LPA up after the fact. It's like insurance, you hope never to have to use it but it's still something a prudent person has in place.

@Yokel I don't know if you have tried Co Op bank. You can do most things online and at the Post Office, including withdrawing and paying in, although for the latter you need a supply of special envelopes which the bank will send you on request.

Do you want to solve the problem (for £82) or spend the rest of her life wibbling about it on here?
I think he wants the latter. I remember on another thread of his (minging teeth or something), he was given advice/information repeatedly by a practising dentist.

He seemed to ignore it.

I think he has just got it in his head that he is one of life's perma-victims, and then disregards anything that could potentially assist him.

Last edited:

Robme

LE
My mother is currently housebound, and I look after her pension money for her. By that I mean I make withdrawals from the Post Office when she tells me to. However, in not so many months HM Government will, as a matter of policy, stop payments to Post Office accounts. I think you can claim and exemption, but I thought the easiest thing to do would be to open a bank account for her. However, they insist on seeing her in person. I tried to explain, hoping that they would say they could come and see her, or use Zoom or similar, but no. Back to square one.

What is the best thing to do? I recall that you can claim an exemption from this change, but I also hoped that Mum might be able to earn a little interest in a bank account?

Any ideas?
What you,need is a Lasting Power of Attorney which can be downloaded and registered these days on-line. This will allow you to act on behalf of your mum.

Yokel

LE
I think he wants the latter. I remember on another thread of his (minging teeth or something), he was given advice/information repeatedly by a practising dentist.

He seemed to ignore it.

I think he has just got it in his head that he is one of life's perma-victims, and then disregards anything that could potentially assist him.

No - I just wanted (and still want) to open a bank account, with the person in whose name it will exist not having to attend a bank. That is all. I have probably got that sussed.

As for my tooth that neds a complex extraction, it did not really matter what was said as I was (and still am) waiting for referral, the issue was pain management.

What you,need is a Lasting Power of Attorney which can be downloaded and registered these days on-line. This will allow you to act on behalf of your mum.

That might be a idea - but I would seek advice from the like of CAB first. It would not solve the problem that in November the DWP will stop paying her pension into her existing Post Office account.

D

Deleted 181499

Speak to the DWP and get the info etc from the horses mouth.
Word of advice, have every bit of info about your mum in front of you if you telephone them, get bits of info wrong and they will not speak to you.
Very wise bout the info bit, dwp woudnt even recognise me when my missus applied for carers allowance due my health, for yoinks had got my surname right, but as it can be one letter different someone entered it that way!! i didnt exist, in the end had to send very old, tattered birth cert to convince em, good luck, n hope you're mum stays well.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
On the LPoA front, my wife and I intend to set them up for each other in the near future. No pressing medical need, but who knows what is coming round the corner...

That might be a idea - but I would seek advice from the like of CAB first. It would not solve the problem that in November the DWP will stop paying her pension into her existing Post Office account.

I have pile of trees in my yard. I need to burn them. I can’t burn them without a burn permit.

If I obtain a burn permit, it doesn’t solve the problem that I have a pile of trees in my yard.

However, if I obtained the burn permit, I could then burn the trees.

Problem solved.

So, the LPA doesn’t solve the actual problem that the pension won’t be paid into a PO account from November. But it lets you open an account that it can be paid into, which does solve the problem.

FFS, I’m 4000 miles away and have LPA for my parents’ affairs. Do you think that when the time comes, I’ll be popping into my local branch of Yorkshire Bank or the Nationwide?

Blogg

LE
If in doubt, open an account in your name - and make her a joint account holder.

This gives her full deposit and drawing rights, yet lets you do all the admin and have oversight without the embuggerance of a LPoA.

Hopefully not relevant here, but a joint account survives the death of a party, which an LPoA does not.

This.

Online joint account. Did this with my mother.

Saved so much bother, especially as overwhelmed by the event I
forgot to notify said bank that one of the account holders had sadly passed.

Didn't remember until everything was sorted and there was 28p left in account

my sister has both types for my mum and she is still there mentally doing it when they are not off their rocker saves hassle when they do go batshit

This.

Online joint account. Did this with my mother.

Saved so much bother, especially as overwhelmed by the event I
forgot to notify said bank that one of the account holders had sadly passed.

Didn't remember until everything was sorted and there was 28p left in account
This solves the immediate problem. An LPA will solve this and all future financial problems. I am so glad I had one for my late aunt as it meant I could talk to her financial advisor AS HER and also all the banks / building societies / NS&I / Council Tax / Gas / Electric / Phone and everything else. One was for 13p.

And yes, Mrs JPY has both finance and health and welfare LPAs for me. I am sorting out hers for me. Really hope neither are necessary but they are there if required.

D

Deleted 181499

i agree with "just plain you" get it sorted soonest, stress off you n ur mum, my mum had vascular dementia, very rapid decline, very soon into a care home, me and sis had to do the LPoA bit, just as well as unfortunately she passed soon after and we had the house n car n mortgage equity Repayments to sort.

D

Deleted 181499

believe Residency Permits are if you or whomever is not a British National

Yokel

LE
believe Residency Permits are if you or whomever is not a British National

So I discovered - fortunately Mum's Passport is still in date. I fail to see why I cannot put the App on her Tablet, as it has full internet access and is not unlike a big mobile phone. It is not just for her to watch YouTube videos - mostly of male singers. As soon as I can I will get the new account squared away and details sent to the Pensions Agency.

As for the LPA - I will try to seek some advice 'just in case'.

Latest Threads