My Mum's pension - cannot open a bank account for her

Serious question here...
Do the Citizens advice bureau do for Scots living abroad...am kind of in the shyte creek at the moment and advive, from any, even if you are a sassenach fud, would be must apprécié
L.P.C.
Ta in advance
Do you have access to the local consulate

Serious question here...
Do the Citizens advice bureau do for Scots living abroad...am kind of in the shyte creek at the moment and advive, from any, even if you are a sassenach fud, would be must apprécié
L.P.C.
Ta in advance

I'd be hugely surprised; the CAB are volunteers with a grounding in your legal rights and responsibilities, but who can also give guidance based upon local circumstance (council rules etc). What nationality you are doesn't really matter if you're living abroad as you are subject to the law of that state.

Does wherever you live have a similar organisation?

I'd be hugely surprised; the CAB are volunteers with a grounding in your legal rights and responsibilities, but who can also give guidance based upon local circumstance (council rules etc). What nationality you are doesn't really matter if you're living abroad as you are subject to the law of that state.

Does wherever you live have a similar organisation?
just a Brit to thèm (go home Johnny style of reply, heard this before...yeah, they have simillar things compared to CAB,...but there is a lot of légal crap i need answers for

Yokel

LE
Speak to the DWP and get the info etc from the horses mouth.
Word of advice, have every bit of info about your mum in front of you if you telephone them, get bits of info wrong and they will not speak to you.

I tried phoning them up, but it was not very useful. I have written to the Pensions Agency instead.

My mother is currently housebound, and I look after her pension money for her. By that I mean I make withdrawals from the Post Office when she tells me to. However, in not so many months HM Government will, as a matter of policy, stop payments to Post Office accounts. I think you can claim and exemption, but I thought the easiest thing to do would be to open a bank account for her. However, they insist on seeing her in person. I tried to explain, hoping that they would say they could come and see her, or use Zoom or similar, but no. Back to square one.

What is the best thing to do? I recall that you can claim an exemption from this change, but I also hoped that Mum might be able to earn a little interest in a bank account?

Any ideas?
Had all this with my Dad. I found the Co Operative Bank to be the easiest. Applied online for a Basic Joint Account. They sent a form for Dad to sign, returned it and had the account open in a few days.
I also suggest you consider obtaining Power of Attorney. It will seem expensive, but well worth it for any future matters relating to her health and financial matters.

Had all this with my Dad. I found the Co Operative Bank to be the easiest. Applied online for a Basic Joint Account. They sent a form for Dad to sign, returned it and had the account open in a few days.
I also suggest you consider obtaining Power of Attorney. It will seem expensive, but well worth it for any future matters relating to her health and financial matters.
LPAs are £82 each: one for finance and wealth and one for health and welfare. The instructions are simple so don't waste money on a solicitor unless you really want to.

I'd have been stuck trying to sort out my late Aunt's finances (and utility bills, NS&I etc) without one.

Having the health one meant I could speak to her GP / hospital doctors etc without any issues.

corby

War Hero
LPAs are £82 each: one for finance and wealth and one for health and welfare. The instructions are simple so don't waste money on a solicitor unless you really want to.

I'd have been stuck trying to sort out my late Aunt's finances (and utility bills, NS&I etc) without one.

Having the health one meant I could speak to her GP / hospital doctors etc without any issues.
Have to agree with the LPA’s, pretty straight forward. My I know someone who paid a solicitor £1500 to organise one. Ridiculous money.

Have to agree with the LPA’s, pretty straight forward. My I know someone who paid a solicitor £1500 to organise one. Ridiculous money.
Due to some complications, we had to use a solicitor to ensure it was all done correctly. I seem to remember a figure of about £700?

Due to some complications, we had to use a solicitor to ensure it was all done correctly. I seem to remember a figure of about £700?
You were had.

corby

War Hero
They are only granted (?) once everything is done correct. It’s not really that complicated and £700 still seems a bit much for the time and effort.

30% of LPAs are returned by the Office of the Public Guardian due to errors.

The alternative to an LPA is to ask the Court of Protection for a Deputyship. This will take at least a year, cost £3-5k and no guarantee of getting what you want.

Solicitors rip people off.

I know people who, as part of a Wills and Trusts package charge £115 and do just as good a job as a Solicitor.

Yokel

LE
I tried phoning them up, but it was not very useful. I have written to the Pensions Agency instead.

The DWP/Pensions Agency replied by phone. Apart from telling me that they could not discuss it with me as the letter was not signed by Mum, I was told simply that they need details of the new account. Back to square one! I have struggled to find a back where she can open an account, as she is currently housebound.

FFS! Do you think that Age UK might be able to help with a list of possible places to open accounts?

Yokel

LE
I recently opened an account with VirginMoney - current account with attached savings account - all completed online. We did have a previous account with them, again opened online.

The M Plus account Current Accounts - Open an Account Online

I have just asked them to call back with a view to arranging an appointment and/or discussing a possible account opening. If they want to speak yo Mum - well I can just pass the phone over.

I also dropped a line to Age UK to se if they have a list of suitable banks.

BlipDriver

War Hero
I have just asked them to call back with a view to arranging an appointment and/or discussing a possible account opening. If they want to speak yo Mum - well I can just pass the phone over.

Good idea with Age UK, if not something they've done, at least something they should consider. They've done work on making banking more aged friendly, but don't know if the actual mechanics have been tested.

Virgin were very helpful on the phone when I had to call them - the joint account opening process could be better explained, that you open one account then add another person, but I digress. The only problem might be the ID - valid passport or photocard driving license if they're anything like HMRC. Perhaps another suggestion for Age UK?

Aphra

Old-Salt
Age UK should also be able to help with advice on setting up an LPA. They can also signpost to other local help and support.

As far as Wills and Trusts etc, I would agree with @Bravo_Bravo up to a point that you don't NEED a solicitor to draw the documents up. I could draft your will, even a complex one, for a couple of hundred quid. I wouldn't, but I'm qualified to. However, if there is properly, real or financial, or more than one beneficiary, then the solicitor's expertise comes into play. The test of the quality of drafting, unfortunately, happens long after the client has ceased to care, being dead, but their beneficiaries and executors will care very much. To me it's like buying a house for hundreds of thousands of pounds, yet choosing the cheapest possible 'survey' for a couple of hundred quid then wondering why it didn't uncover expensive issues.

Don't scrimp on paying professionals for the important stuff if you can help it. The costs, not just financial, of untangling an estate can be higher than a solicitor's fee for a will. Plus, they have professional indemnity insurance if they do mess up. I don't, so don't trust me with your last will and testament.

Yokel

LE

Age UK just offered very general advice. As for Virgin, there have not called back and there is no phone number for dealing with opening an account and those sorts of questions.

Unless I missed the number - but I do not think so.

Age UK just offered very general advice. As for Virgin, there have not called back and there is no phone number for dealing with opening an account and those sorts of questions.

Unless I missed the number - but I do not think so.
If you had listened to the advice you were given you would now have an LPA in your hands and they would all be talking to you.

Latest Threads