My Mum's pension - cannot open a bank account for her

Yokel

LE
My mother is currently housebound, and I look after her pension money for her. By that I mean I make withdrawals from the Post Office when she tells me to. However, in not so many months HM Government will, as a matter of policy, stop payments to Post Office accounts. I think you can claim and exemption, but I thought the easiest thing to do would be to open a bank account for her. However, they insist on seeing her in person. I tried to explain, hoping that they would say they could come and see her, or use Zoom or similar, but no. Back to square one.

What is the best thing to do? I recall that you can claim an exemption from this change, but I also hoped that Mum might be able to earn a little interest in a bank account?

Any ideas?

Interest % is not worth writing home about and will not be ever again....unless % rates gazzump to over 10/12%.
As for a bank, why not ask to open a joint account and see if a "mandated" 2nd named person ( Mum) will suffice. All she'd have to do is (perhaps) sign consent forms.
And if you do a bank account online with an existing provider...frankly who is to know anyhow.
But will HMRC consent to paying into your name?
There's a rub.

The new breed of digital banks are more accommodating. Starling are very good.

Yokel

LE
The Post Office page is here: Important changes to your Post Officer card account

As far as I know, Mum has not received a letter from the Government (DWP?) about the changes. I have followed the questions and it now says:

The government will write to you with more information regarding the POca replacement service – called the Payment Exceptions Service. Wait until your benefit or pension payments have moved to this service.

I do worry that the letter might have gone missing or got lost somewhere. After all my Log book from DVLA did.

Scunner

Old-Salt
I've had a Santander account for a while. Opened it on line, can do pay-ins and withdrawals from the Post Office, which was a major plus point for me, living in the sticks with no shops other than the PO for 10 miles or so.

Set up a lasting power of attorney for finance. Job jobbed.

And forget any interest, that's the price you pay for 'free' banking.

Last edited:

BlipDriver

War Hero
I've had a Santander account for a while. Opened it on line, can do pay-ins and withdrawals from the Post Office, which was a major plus point for me, living in the sticks with no shops other than the PO for 10 miles or so.
Virgin & Starling also let you pay in at Post Offices.

My mother is currently housebound, and I look after her pension money for her. By that I mean I make withdrawals from the Post Office when she tells me to. However, in not so many months HM Government will, as a matter of policy, stop payments to Post Office accounts. I think you can claim and exemption, but I thought the easiest thing to do would be to open a bank account for her. However, they insist on seeing her in person. I tried to explain, hoping that they would say they could come and see her, or use Zoom or similar, but no. Back to square one.

What is the best thing to do? I recall that you can claim an exemption from this change, but I also hoped that Mum might be able to earn a little interest in a bank account?

Any ideas?
Quick google search, "open uk bank account online" lots of banks offer this facility.

Yokel

LE
Do I actually need to do anything if the Payments Exception Service continues to pay it into the Post Office account? To my simple mind that is the question.

Do I actually need to do anything if the Payments Exception Service continues to pay it into the Post Office account? To my simple mind that is the question.
Speak to the DWP and get the info etc from the horses mouth.
Word of advice, have every bit of info about your mum in front of you if you telephone them, get bits of info wrong and they will not speak to you.

4(T)

LE
If in doubt, open an account in your name - and make her a joint account holder.

This gives her full deposit and drawing rights, yet lets you do all the admin and have oversight without the embuggerance of a LPoA.

Hopefully not relevant here, but a joint account survives the death of a party, which an LPoA does not.

@Yokel
With all of the stuff you have going on with your Mum, it might be worth arranging an hour consultation with the Citizen's Advice Bureau, they are absolute gold dust for stuff like this.

Also, did you mention on another thread that your Dad was ex-RN? If so (apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick) then the Royal Naval Association might be able to help, or the RN & RM Charity. Failing that, the Royal British Legion. They have teams of welfare and other experts who might be able to give more grounded and accurate advice than people on an anonymous military forum.

Any ideas?
I would strongly recommend contacting age concern or CAB.

I doubt you’re the only one in this situation and they’ve probably got a very slick response in place for all of those who need advice.

it’s getting incredibly harder to open up various types of bank accounts. Grand parents have am had a bugger opening one up for grand kids.

Insense that due to money laundering issues, which I don’t think most people understand how big an issue it is, that at some point in the future they’ll be wanting everybody doing electronic pavements for everything in the future.

a bit old, but gives you and understanding.

I doubt you’re the only one in this situation and they’ve probably got a very slick response in place for all of those who need advice.

it’s getting incredibly harder to open up various types of bank accounts. Grand parents have am had a bugger opening one up for grand kids.

Insense that due to money laundering issues, which I don’t think most people understand how big an issue it is, that at some point in the future they’ll be wanting everybody doing electronic pavements for everything in the future.

Age Concern - good call Andy, I hadn't thought of them.

If in doubt, open an account in your name - and make her a joint account holder.

This gives her full deposit and drawing rights, yet lets you do all the admin and have oversight without the embuggerance of a LPoA.

Hopefully not relevant here, but a joint account survives the death of a party, which an LPoA does not.
An LPA is not an embuggerance, it's a few pages of easy to follow documentation and £82.

Plus Yokel can use it for dealing with everything financial: utility bills, banks, building societies, NS&I etc

Yokel

LE
@Yokel
With all of the stuff you have going on with your Mum, it might be worth arranging an hour consultation with the Citizen's Advice Bureau, they are absolute gold dust for stuff like this.

Also, did you mention on another thread that your Dad was ex-RN? If so (apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick) then the Royal Naval Association might be able to help, or the RN & RM Charity. Failing that, the Royal British Legion. They have teams of welfare and other experts who might be able to give more grounded and accurate advice than people on an anonymous military forum.

No you are quite correct, the old man is ex RN and we have been helped by SSAFA. I am not sure if this is their part of ship though. I suppose I could try the White Ensign Association, but the DWP might be able to answer. The current arrangement works.

I do think CAB might be able to help with something - thanks.

As ever, the massively dishonest are insufficiently punished, and the rest of us have to pay.

Any ideas?
Starling are brilliant, if she has a smartphone. I've been with them for a couple of years.

Serious question here...
Do the Citizens advice bureau do for Scots living abroad...am kind of in the shyte creek at the moment and advive, from any, even if you are a sassenach fud, would be must apprécié
L.P.C.
Ta in advance

BlipDriver

War Hero
Doesn't look like they use an account, they issue a card & you use that at a PayPoint outlet.

Latest Threads