My Mum's chicken curry.

I quite liked home made 'British' curries (made with Bolst's or Vencat curry powder in our case). They could be quite tasty. I suppose it depended on the cook. The mistake is to compare the two styles. They weren't really the same thing at all. I could enjoy both. I don't think that a lot of curry restaurant curries can claim much more authenticity than 'Mum's' curries. Probably less so now than ever before.

As for Ken Hom, it seems that some of his lessons could usefully be learned by the majority of Chinese 'cooks' operating on our high streets. Much of it is ready-made stuff purchased in bulk from Chinese cash & carries and thrown around in a wok for a few minutes. Not at all good.
Most Indian restaurants used to do “three pot” cooking. Had big pots of chicken, lamb and vegetable stews and just ladled a dollop into a bowl and stirred some spices in.

The ghastliest example of this I ever saw was a takeaway in Exeter town centre back in the late seventies, much favoured by students after a night on the piss. Three big stewpots and three choices of hot, medium or mild curry. The hot just had three teaspoons of chilli powder stirred into it. Medium had two and mild one.

Nasty.

That's the way to do it.
By way of variation, the juice of a Lime ( Roll it on a hard surface to loosen it all up, before you cut it in half and squeeze it in) then turn the heat down and stir in half a pot of Greek Honey Yoghurt.

You can bless me after you've tasted it
100% with the lime (or lemon). I'll give the yoghurt a go instead of coconut milk next time I superheat one - a side dish of cucumber raita works too.

I think most countries have a similar take on their favourite foreign food - never eat Chinese in India or Italian in Japan.
I'll have to disagree:
  1. The best French Onion Soup I've tasted was at a Lebanese Restaurant in Sheffield.
    1. 'Otto's Restaurant' if anyone's interested, reasonably priced, and everything they serve is very, very good.
  2. I had what was likely the world's finest pizza in Berlin.
  3. I've enjoyed a truly jaw-dropping Thai meal in Dubai. But then again, at a shade under £1,100 for the the three of us - it would have to have been absolutely excellent.
  4. A couple of years ago, I had a truly inspired Currywurst avec Pommes in Manchester's Chinatown.

100% with the lime (or lemon). I'll give the yoghurt a go instead of coconut milk next time I superheat one - a side dish of cucumber raita works too.
Obviously its a bit acidic and sweet, (use the Lime instead of Vinegar ) but it'll work well with something slightly on the bitter side, like a Dahl or Bombay potatoes done with a Madras type mix?

In the Arrse menu screen

'NEW POSTS'

'My Mum's Chicken Curry' Latest: lecky -
Cookery

'Woman takes squirtiest poo ever seen' Latest: Ecosse -
The NAAFI Bar

Is there some connection, do you think?

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Probably because I clicked on one of the videos posted on this forum YT recommended this to me just now...not chicken, but beef.

The RM should have hit him with a roll mat

I'll have to disagree:
  1. The best French Onion Soup I've tasted was at a Lebanese Restaurant in Sheffield.
    1. 'Otto's Restaurant' if anyone's interested, reasonably priced, and everything they serve is very, very good.
  2. I had what was likely the world's finest pizza in Berlin.
  3. I've enjoyed a truly jaw-dropping Thai meal in Dubai. But then again, at a shade under £1,100 for the the three of us - it would have to have been absolutely excellent.
  4. A couple of years ago, I had a truly inspired Currywurst avec Pommes in Manchester's Chinatown.
Best curry I ever had was in Beira, Mozambique.

Best Lamb Vindaloo is still being served at Zam Zams Collyers Quay Singapore,the old man has passed on ,but Mahmut the eldest still runs his dads business, Many of you old and bold sappers will remember Ali the Gillman Charwallah, who followed 59 and 54 sqn to Thailand

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Best curry I ever had was in Beira, Mozambique.
Worst curry I ever had was in New Dehli. I suspect it was the pickled onions in it. Certainly a surprise.

Most suspicious curry was Nepal, a curry of tubes. Various sizes. Like meaty macaroni.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Koschei The NAAFI Bar 6
phil245 Miscellaneous Jokes 0
phil245 Miscellaneous Jokes 0