My Mum's chicken curry.

Try slicing a couple of bananas...
Attaboy! Apples, raisins with side dishes of chopped onion, flaked almonds and dessicated coconut to garnish.

A proper '60 English curry (or a fruit chutney if you stick it in jam jars.) made with Bolst's curry powder and very probably the suggested recipe printed on the side of the tin.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Doesnt sound like any Vesta curry I ever had. The pieces of chicken were small and plasticky, much like the "meat" in pot noodles. The sauce and meat was boiled in a bag IIRC and served on the rice.
All real curries start with a marsala of one sort or another (crackle the spices, blend them, add chopped garlic and onion, then add the curry spices and water.
After that, its the meat.
‘‘Twas tongue in cheek, it was the sultanas that did it, oh the 60’s the height of culinary delight.

In actual fact, we can take the piss out of home made 60s curries, but in my opinion 'authentic' Indian cuisine in the high street has taken a nosedive over the past fifteen or twenty years. Thin, light-coloured sauces, the main flavour of which is cloying sweetness or, if going upmarket, faux 'eclectic' or 'fusion' bistro-style nonsense.

Oh, how I miss old fashioned high street curries.

In actual fact, we can take the piss out of home made 60s curries, but in my opinion 'authentic' Indian cuisine in the high street has taken a nosedive over the past fifteen or twenty years. Thin, light-coloured sauces, the main flavour of which is cloying sweetness or, if going upmarket, faux 'eclectic' or 'fusion' bistro-style nonsense.

Oh, how I miss old fashioned high street curries.
Aye but that's got **** all to do with vanmans ma's curries, unless of course she was moonlighting as a restaurateur.

Get a packet of Young’s Chinese Curry mix, (Morrison’s sell it) knock it up as per the instructions and add all your other ingredients. Trust me, it’s as close as you’ll get to the traditional ‘English’ curry that your mom used to make. Ignore the fact it’s labelled as Chinese, it’s irrelevant.

0B147F29-EC90-47BB-A2A7-13D61AD100B8.jpeg

Get a packet of Young’s Chinese Curry mix, (Morrison’s sell it) knock it up as per the instructions and add all your other ingredients. Trust me, it’s as close as you’ll get to the traditional ‘English’ curry that your mom used to make. Ignore the fact it’s labelled as Chinese, it’s irrelevant.

View attachment 382843
So you were privvy to one of vanmans mothers curries then?

Aye but that's got **** all to do with vanmans ma's curries, unless of course she was moonlighting as a restaurateur.
Not strictly, but the point I was trying to make was that we can sneer at Zena Skinner-style 60s home made curries, but the current iteration of 'authentic' Indian cuisine is nothing to crow about IMHO. English curries weren't at all bad if you took them for what they were.

Pfft! I sneer at your scotch bonnets. Getting your wedding vegetables nuked with pepper spray while wazzing on a mate's tyre is for the uber het.

Not strictly, but the point I was trying to make was that we can sneer at Zena Skinner-style 60s home made curries, but the current iteration of 'authentic' Indian cuisine is nothing to crow about IMHO. English curries weren't at all bad if you took them for what they were.
I love a sitty down and a takeaway. I find that if you stick to the same one, eventually the standard goes down, I always try different ones, not everyone's cup of tea, but makes the process a bit more exciting.

View attachment 382843
Strangely enough I was in Wing Yip's in Cricklewood this afternoon. As well as the usual raw ingredients, they also have a fine selection of ready made curry sauces; Chinese, Indian, Viet, Malaysian, Japanese etc. Not particularly cheap though, even for their own brand stuff.

Strangely enough I was in Wing Yip's in Cricklewood this afternoon. As well as the usual raw ingredients, they also have a fine selection of ready made curry sauces; Chinese, Indian, Viet, Malaysian, Japanese etc. Not particularly cheap though, even for their own brand stuff.
On my rare visits to Brum I sometimes drop into Wing Yip’s for that red powder you rub into pork for the authentic Chinese roast pork, works on chicken as well. As you say, a lot of stuffs expensive although the large bottles of Chinese branded soy sauce are excellent compared to many you get in the supermarket.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Koschei The NAAFI Bar 6
phil245 Miscellaneous Jokes 0
phil245 Miscellaneous Jokes 0