My Mum's chicken curry.

Now I realise that means nothing to you lot.However you may still be able to help. She's dead now so asking her is tricky.Never wrote a recipe down, just remembered everything.
It was never too hot, but had chicken, curry powder, apples, sultans, onion, spices etc. Now at some point I'm sure milk was added and this transformed the dry ingredients into a lovely dark yellowy creamy consistency.
I've tried to repeat the recipe several times, but it's just not right. The chicken goes stringy, the 'sauce' splits... It's edible, but just not them same.
Any thoughts?

Go into any local corner shop, or high street curry restaurant, and ask, 1. the Indian blokes wife behind the counter. "2.The head chef..... sorted............ 3. Google.

Now I realise that means nothing to you lot.However you may still be able to help. She's dead now so asking her is tricky.Never wrote a recipe down, just remembered everything.
It was never too hot, but had chicken, curry powder, apples, sultans, onion, spices etc. Now at some point I'm sure milk was added and this transformed the dry ingredients into a lovely dark yellowy creamy consistency.
I've tried to repeat the recipe several times, but it's just not right. The chicken goes stringy, the 'sauce' splits... It's edible, but just not them same.
Any thoughts?
Chicken going stringy is typically because it's cooked too long. Brown it off and cook it through in a separate pan, with whatever spice you want, and then set it aside while the curry sauce boils down or whatever you're doing with it. Put the chicken back in 5-10 minutes before serving to warm through and pick up the sauce.

Sounds like the 'fruity chicken curry' they serve at the Angry Friar pub in Gibraltar. Pop over there and try it, they might give you the recipie.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmm, if memory from the 60’s serves, I think you are talking Swan Vesta, sorry there the matches, I meant Vesta curry.
Perhaps the milk memory is you having a glass when your poor mum was slaving away.

Any thoughts?
Cocunut milk?

Vesta curry powder and coconut milk.

Brown the chicken off first to stop it going stringy. Reduce the curry sauce to how you want it then chuck the chicken in.

Coconut milk/cream is wonderful for curries. Put in some really hot chillies and it takes away the immediate bite but still allows the heat to gently kick in and build. Big in Ceylon and Goan dishes.

Hmm, if memory from the 60’s serves, I think you are talking Swan Vesta, sorry there the matches, I meant Vesta curry.
Perhaps the milk memory is you having a glass when your poor mum was slaving away.
Doesnt sound like any Vesta curry I ever had. The pieces of chicken were small and plasticky, much like the "meat" in pot noodles. The sauce and meat was boiled in a bag IIRC and served on the rice.
All real curries start with a marsala of one sort or another (crackle the spices, blend them, add chopped garlic and onion, then add the curry spices and water.
After that, its the meat.

Any thoughts?
Sure it wasn't cream or Carnation?

Try slicing a couple of bananas into the sauce to thicken it as it simmers instead of the milk. Tin of chopped tomato instead of water. Spoon of sugar as well to cut the acidity of the tomato.

[neddie seagoon voice] Mmmmraisins! [/neddie seagoon voice]

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Milk has absolutely no place in any curry.

Coconut milk, yoghurt or cream always.

And if in doubt add more ginger and garlic.

As others have said, chicken goes stringy when overcooked. You can brown it off first then remove while you make the sauce. Adding again at the end. But I just don’t cook it for very long.

I generally follow these basic steps when doing a curry:

Fry lots of garlic, very finely chopped onion and ginger on a low heat. The type of oil or fat depends on the type of curry. Butter and / or veg oil for Indian type curries, sesame oil for oriental type curries.

Add additional spices depending on flavour / heat requirements. Curry powder, curry paste, chillis, cumin, lemongrass, lime, lemon, coriander, turmeric are all firm favourites depending on what you’re going for. Fish sauce and light soy are important if you’re doing a Thai or Chinese curry.

Now add your meat, veg or fish and brown it off in the spices and other ingredients.

Add your coconut milk and / or yoghurt / cream / tinned tomatoes. Heat through until meat, veg, fish is fully cooked.

You don’t need to **** about with those 4 hour slow cooked things. Just get the meat cooked and that’s it. Do you think your curry from the takeaway gets cooked for hours? Does it ****, they have premade sauces that fresh meat just gets chucked into.

Garnish with fresh coriander, natural yoghurt crushed almonds or cashew nuts.

Last edited:
This is the OP trying to recreate her mum's curry, not an authentic Brick Lane special or similar.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Koschei The NAAFI Bar 6
phil245 Miscellaneous Jokes 0
phil245 Miscellaneous Jokes 0