Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MY LIST FOR BASIC

Compiling kit list (junior intake) and says 20 sturdy jacket hangers & 5 sturdy trouser hangers. By trouser hangers do they mean the clip ones or just normal hangers that you can fold trousers over on? Sorry ive looked through all forums and cant find answer to this one? Thanks.

LongStride

Swinger
Compiling kit list (junior intake) and says 20 sturdy jacket hangers & 5 sturdy trouser hangers. By trouser hangers do they mean the clip ones or just normal hangers that you can fold trousers over on? Sorry ive looked through all forums and cant find answer to this one? Thanks.
Cant say for sure but I’d hazard a guess that the clip ones would be the best bet. No creases in the middle out the trousers. Best off ringing the recruitment office seen as though no one has replied yet.

ryan_c

Swinger
Does anyone know whether you’ll be allowed to wear a watch during basic training? Thinking of investing in one should we be allowed.

LCwits

Swinger
Does anyone know whether you’ll be allowed to wear a watch during basic training? Thinking of investing in one should we be allowed.

You will, but dont buy an expensive one. The cheap casio ones will do fine and take the battery. It's what I'll be taking personally.

ryan_c

Swinger
You will, but dont buy an expensive one. The cheap casio ones will do fine and take the battery. It's what I'll be taking personally.
I actually have one of them, but I’m not sure if it’s going to make it through basic training. Thinking of buying a G-shock as they’re quite tough.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is it okay taking a Double Edge Safety Razor, instead of a disposable/cartridge type? Face doesn't take kindly to the latter.
No wuckers.
Some of the Staff will have had the same problem.
An open razor is better if you need a quick Saturday night kill.

Kaytemonn

Clanker
Is it common to bring your own ironing board? Don't want to be the only one rocking up with one if it's not needed!
Also are you allowed to take insoles for your boots?
Sorry if either have been answered I couldn't see anything

Is it common to bring your own ironing board? Don't want to be the only one rocking up with one if it's not needed!
Also are you allowed to take insoles for your boots?
Sorry if either have been answered I couldn't see anything

Ironing board, hmmmm.............

It is custom and practice to throw a blanket onto a table and use that as an ironing board, unless things have gone all snowflakey and there is more than one ironing board per accommodation building.

I would take insoles as a good pair of sports type insoles makes most issued footwear more wearable. However, if presenting the boots for inspection take out your insoles, put in the ones that came with the boots and tuck yours away somewhere safe out of sight.

Kaytemonn

Clanker
Ironing board, hmmmm.............

It is custom and practice to throw a blanket onto a table and use that as an ironing board, unless things have gone all snowflakey and there is more than one ironing board per accommodation building.

I would take insoles as a good pair of sports type insoles makes most issued footwear more wearable. However, if presenting the boots for inspection take out your insoles, put in the ones that came with the boots and tuck yours away somewhere safe out of sight.

Thanks for the response, one more question how many clothes hangers do you recommend?

I actually have one of them, but I’m not sure if it’s going to make it through basic training. Thinking of buying a G-shock as they’re quite tough.

Don’t waste you money, as said the Casio cheap one , was 5 quid when I was in and I left 14 years ago.

Casio Collection Unisex Adults Watch F-91W

Served me from Bosnia , Afghan and Iraq. Dived down to 50 M (says 30 on the tin) climbed up mountains and jumped out of airplanes with it.

Worst thing was the strap broke so I got a green Velcro replacement, back then I did a lot of running , so the strap got wet with sweat and my god it stank.

Buy one for basic and get a good one after.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response, one more question how many clothes hangers do you recommend?

If you get along to 1kea or somewhere similar they sell 5 packs of wooden hangers - I would suggest 3 or 4 packs. They will last and you will not have to buy any for a long time.

Think on this and remember it when you arrive: Your locker gets inspected "for hygiene". The less stuff you have in your locker the better becasue you are not jamming things in and pushing stuff into corners where it will be found by one of the inspecting Corporals who will then have a field day with you. We twigged onto this pretty quickly and relegated our civvy clothes to our suitcases in the suitcase storage room. Uniform items were hung up in a neat military manner, two token hangers of civvy clothing were on display as was one pair of civvy trainers, and shoes along with civvy socks and underpants. Less hassle to keep orderly, less on display, less likelihood of being picked up on an inspection. The staff twigged onto our little scheme and we caught wind of a suticase room inspection so we moved our civvy stuff to our cars in the car park.

Good luck.

If you get along to 1kea or somewhere similar they sell 5 packs of wooden hangers - I would suggest 3 or 4 packs. They will last and you will not have to buy any for a long time.

Think on this and remember it when you arrive: Your locker gets inspected "for hygiene". The less stuff you have in your locker the better becasue you are not jamming things in and pushing stuff into corners where it will be found by one of the inspecting Corporals who will then have a field day with you. We twigged onto this pretty quickly and relegated our civvy clothes to our suitcases in the suitcase storage room. Uniform items were hung up in a neat military manner, two token hangers of civvy clothing were on display as was one pair of civvy trainers, and shoes along with civvy socks and underpants. Less hassle to keep orderly, less on display, less likelihood of being picked up on an inspection. The staff twigged onto our little scheme and we caught wind of a suticase room inspection so we moved our civvy stuff to our cars in the car park.

Good luck.

Take a look here.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer