MY LIST FOR BASIC

D

Deleted 20555

It's not cooking - it's warming it up - if it's already in a frigging bag don't waste time using or for that matter even carrying a mess tin.

NialF

Old-Salt
It's not cooking - it's warming it up - if it's already in a frigging bag don't waste time using or for that matter even carrying a mess tin.
What are on about? You are required to carry, use and clean your 2 mess tins for every Ex in training. (As part of the fieldcraft test on Ex Halfway and First Nights)

You put the rations(inside their bag) inside the mess tin, with some water surrounding it, and place it on top of your cooker...

This creates black shit all over the bottom of the mess tin, which scrubs off very easily. It also creates hot water, useful for cleaning, shaving and drinking.

The_Duke

LE
MOD COMMENT:

We now have a gobbing off session between two know-nothings. One has no experience of British Army recruit training, syllabus, training requirements etc and is telling yet more tales of his time having his country taken from him by people he despised. The other has spent just enough time in training to get some scuff marks on his first tin of boot polish and is doling out advice left right and centre.

Knock it off.

Twiztd

Swinger
Current kit list for ATC Pirbright says not to bring an iron. Yet at ADSC Pirbright we were told to invest in a fairly decent one by the C/O. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Current kit list for ATC Pirbright says not to bring an iron. Yet at ADSC Pirbright we were told to invest in a fairly decent one by the C/O. Any thoughts?

A good iron, which has not been spunked in nor melted some chav's tracksuit, is a good idea. Up to you really but if they specifically say 'don't bring one' then don't. If it is just not on the kit list then I would take one along.

Twiztd

Swinger
A good iron, which has not been spunked in nor melted some chav's tracksuit, is a good idea. Up to you really but if they specifically say 'don't bring one' then don't. If it is just not on the kit list then I would take one along.
Seems a little strange they would say not to bring the 1 piece of kit that will be used most. My CSM said that they were fixing the official website so I will see what they say. Thank you for getting back to me

Take an iron! The ones they give you are shit and don't do anything. Don't need spend crazy money on one and they say if it's a high wattage it can trip the electric in the room so you have to use it in the corridor of your block but most of us haven't had a problem!

Thats spooky, like having a set of used mess tins to eat, and a set of newly issued mess tins for locker inspection.

Get yourself a good set of ex-British Army issue boots that actually fit with a medium sock with new insoles in and wear them for about 2 weeks continuously..

The Government will buy the cheapest boot, not the best,... learn to look after your feet.
The Government will buy the cheapest boot that meets the MOD's own specification. If you don't like 'em speak to your trials team.

Sorry... didn't know I had non-MOD feet.... in 74 the fact you a pair, mirror matching with all toes was a good step towards being recruited!

Last edited:
Just asking if any other old and bold remember lists for joining?

I turned up after getting on a train with a warrant to go to Harrogate, had 3 pairs of socks , 3 pairs of skiddies, the clothes I was wearing and 5 quid from me Mum. Oh and a comb.

Was sent to Sutton Coalfield in 74, was so efficiently processed over the 3 days that the first 10 minutes of Kubricks "Full Metal Jacket" is Disney for the kids. (Check the last 2 mins of the film).

Last edited:

Harry24

Crow
Hi guys!!

Just wondering if I should get a Bergan liner for phase one and if so what litre should it be?

Thanks in advance.

Long shot as this thread doesn't seem as active anymore... My kit list says 4 passport photos... I have 3 left over from a year ago when I had my passport... Would that be enough, I've seen posts saying they only used 2.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Long shot as this thread doesn't seem as active anymore... My kit list says 4 passport photos... I have 3 left over from a year ago when I had my passport... Would that be enough, I've seen posts saying they only used 2.
Yeah three will be fine, if they need more you can either cut one in half or tell them to get a grip.

Bit late to this but....part of the learning experience of basic is following instructions so a good start to that is "You said bring four so I brought three." Can I watch that conversation and can I watch you running around the block all night?

Honestly, if you are seriously posting that question please reconsider your application or the mates who told you that you don't need to follow the list.

Passport photos get used tons in P1 to my experience. Driving licence application (if not held), Troop office board (mug shot parade for the DS to put names to faces), Passport application (if not held), Forces Rail Card (get it, costs you £14, worth it!), Medical File (frequently they dont bother with this any more), Spare for if you **** something up and if you get moved in to a different Troop/Rehab. Later in P2 you might need them again for much the same reasons.

Dont be that guy who week one, day one stands out for being a mong for not reading the instructions. Let some one else take that role.

Boof

Old-Salt
Yes the uniform is provided, you will have an evening getting sized up so basically trying various bits of kit on.

Latest Threads