MY LIST FOR BASIC

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I start at Pirbright in 5 weeks and my joining instructions state NOT TO BRING a Ironing Board.

Should i really not take one? Or would it not harm by taking one.

I dont want to rock up with it and be reamed for not Reading Basic Instructions.
As Mech.sldr says, follow the joining instructions.
Alternatively you could take an inflatable ironing board that can be rolled up and stowed away in your personal kit.

Xerath

Swinger
Lads what sort of ziplock bags did you get? It says I need at least 10 in a variety of sizes. I'm assuming it's to keep your kit dry in your bergan?

And there's no mention of phys kit either, so we don't need to bring shorts, etc. for the first few sessions before we get issued all our kit?

Last edited:

dawz

Swinger
Can someone do a favor and write out the full kit list they have received for ITC catterick or send a screenshot of it. Want to know what to expect as the older ones put me off because they are from ages ago. Cheers

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Shaving kit
Wash kit
Keen attitude
Sense of humour

Rick Wakeman

Old-Salt
If you are given an instruction not to do something, in writing, it is probably a good idea to get used to following the instruction.....
Otherwise you should take several ironing boards so you can sell them to the other Recruits who have not taken one......

Hey guys, start on the 9th and have pretty much all my kit and a bit more. Can someone tell me which items go on display in your locker so I can make sure I have enough for both Display and use?

Rizzoli

Clanker
Hey guys, start on the 9th and have pretty much all my kit and a bit more. Can someone tell me which items go on display in your locker so I can make sure I have enough for both Display and use?
I'm at Pirbright, we have to show out shower gel (or soap if that's what you use), toothbrush and toothpaste.
With my training team you can't have a display only set. They want to see that you're showering and brushing your teeth.

I'm at Pirbright, we have to show out shower gel (or soap if that's what you use), toothbrush and toothpaste.
With my training team you can't have a display only set. They want to see that you're showering and brushing your teeth.
Thanks for reply mate, so I can't have both a set to use and a set on display?

Rizzoli

Clanker
Thanks for reply mate, so I can't have both a set to use and a set on display?
Well it'll depend on your training team. They all like to do certain things a little bit differently and in their own way, so I can't say for sure what yours will want from you.
I have two on the go at once. One in my civi locker and the other on display, when the one in the civi locker has gone down a bit I switch it out with the display one, then repeat. Ease of access but they can still see I'm using it.

Thats spooky, like having a set of used mess tins to eat, and a set of newly issued mess tins for locker inspection.

Get yourself a good set of ex-British Army issue boots that actually fit with a medium sock with new insoles in and wear them for about 2 weeks continuously..

The Government will buy the cheapest boot, not the best,... learn to look after your feet.

Last edited:

NialF

Old-Salt
Thats spooky, like having a set of used mess tins to eat, and a set of newly issued mess tins for locker inspection.

Get yourself a good set of ex-British Army issue boots that actually fit with a medium sock with new insoles in and wear them for about 2 weeks continuously..

The Government will buy the cheapest boot, not the best,... learn to look after your feet.
You're issued 3 boots on arrival at phase 1. 2 Haix and 1 Alt bergs. Winter, all weather, and like some all weather patrol boots from alt bergs. Your alt-bergs are the go-to boots, if you're going to buy some "used" worn ones, make sure they're the right ones. You wont get away with wearing anything other than 1 of those 3 issued boots, and make sure your staff dont find out.

Having 2 pairs of mess tins is a bad idea, you have to make them shiny every morning on exercise anyway... so your mess tins are ALWAYS clean... so there's no point really.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
D

Deleted 20555

You're issued 3 boots on arrival at phase 1. 2 Haix and 1 Alt bergs. Winter, all weather, and like some all weather patrol boots from alt bergs. Your alt-bergs are the go-to boots, if you're going to buy some "used" worn ones, make sure they're the right ones. You wont get away with wearing anything other than 1 of those 3 issued boots, and make sure your staff dont find out.

Having 2 pairs of mess tins is a bad idea, you have to make them shiny every morning on exercise anyway... so your mess tins are ALWAYS clean... so there's no point really.
Simply cover your mess tins in a clear plastic bag, use them to eat if you are not using boil in the bag, dispose of bag after use, mess tins stay clean, no washing up, no wasting water. - if you're in a frigging semi desert as I was.

NialF

Old-Salt
Simply cover your mess tins in a clear plastic bag, use them to eat if you are not using boil in the bag, dispose of bag after use, mess tins stay clean, no washing up, no wasting water. - if you're in a frigging semi desert as I was.
All rations are boil in the bag... The training staff, especially in winter, will not let you eat the food without cooking it.

Mess tins are easy as hell to clean, just use a scouring pad for 30 seconds with a smidge of water and they'll be gleaming

Latest Threads