My legacy.

Awol

LE
Chaps and chappettes,

In about a week my first born reaches 21. On Christmas Day, as is my custom, I sent her a long message even though I knew she wouldn’t reply.

I’m pretty damned sure that I’m not going to be around for much longer, but I want to leave her (and her brother) a few hundred quid each. I don’t care if they spend it on socks, secret lovers or charity, I just want them to have it.

Now I know the usual route would be a will and a solicitor, but I begrudge throwing loads of money at them, so I was wondering if it was possible to open a savings account in each kids name, with some sort of alert/notification that there is a puddle of money waiting for them when I croak.

Before anyone says the obvious ‘ask your bank’i would like to point out the fact that my local HSBC has been automated for the past six months, as have all the other banks in town.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
Might I suggest rather than going down the money route, which will leave a paper trail, and gets messy at probate... buy a few hundred quids worth of sovereigns/krugerrands etc.
They can keep them as a momento, or they are easily converted into cash.

Might I suggest rather than going down the money route, which will leave a paper trail, and gets messy at probate... buy a few hundred quids worth of sovereigns/krugerrands etc.

I have a few gold and silver coins put aside for my kids when I shuffle off this mortal coil. Hopefully they will add to the stash and hand it down to the next generation.

Sentimental items are also worth considering. My dad's snuff box and cufflinks are worth more than money to me.

As for wills, good idea to get one sorted out. You can do one your self and also write letters of intent.

I am honestly not taking the piss - a lot of charities like Help The Aged do wills & help with wills. You don't have to bung them cash.
I don't know if they act as an executor as well.

Don't see why you can't set up savings accounts with a card & pin you keep safe?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you don't fancy doing the will yourself, plenty of charities offer a free service via a local solicitor. you don't have to donate, that's up to you.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
As well as making a will, you need to decide who the executor will be, it's their job to ensure that it's complied with. Unfortunately, there will be some legal fees involved in getting probate granted.

why not just bung a cheque in the post?

If you only have a few hundred quid buy Sovereigns as suggested, put them in a jiffy bag with the beneficiaries names and addresses on and leave them on the mantle piece.

Chaps and chappettes,

I’m pretty damned sure that I’m not going to be around for much longer,

I've checked the Flounce list and I'm not sure which type you're referring to

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Stop being a silly cuunt!

Your wriggly octopus guts will keep going for a few years yet.
I would come down and give you a kick up the Arrse, but I'm poorly bad with Kung Flu.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bonds. Bit different to cash. I've got some bonds and some gold and silver for my Jnrs. If you don't have much cash, then you'll struggle for the gold but silver coins are very affordable and can be used for a wedding ring etc.

Of course, if they turn out to be dicks, I'll just instruct that I'm buried with it all. **** 'em. :D

If you do this you might have to give them now otherwise if in your possession they become part of your estate when you die, so there has to be a will saying who should get them.

AWOL is right , you need to speak with your kids about your estate

we had a visit from my daughter when she was up here on Rep business two years ago, we had a chinky and her , my son , Doris and me sat down for a while after and talked about what was happening after our demise , which won't be long now as we are bothn shaking 70
Basically , he gets the house , she gets the cash and the trinkets, or they can sell up split the house money and the cash and trinkets if the house is valued at more than the trinkets and cash , he has to pay her half the difference

we showed them the fireproof box with all the relevent documents , wills solicitors phone numbers etc , and Doris showed daughter the trinket box

not an awful lot to leave behind , but they should get about 250 k each ........ unless they piss us off , then they can sell the new camper I will buy, after spunking evrything

strangely , their attitudes towards us have softened recently

Sovereigns, watch out for greedy Arrse daughters trying to steal them...

AWOL is right , you need to speak with your kids about your estate

we had a visit from my daughter when she was up here on Rep business two years ago, we had a chinky and her , my son , Doris and me sat down for a while after and talked about what was happening after our demise , which won't be long now as we are bothn shaking 70
Basically , he gets the house , she gets the cash and the trinkets, or they can sell up split the house money and the cash and trinkets if the house is valued at more than the trinkets and cash , he has to pay her half the difference

we showed them the fireproof box with all the relevent documents , wills solicitors phone numbers etc , and Doris showed daughter the trinket box

not an awful lot to leave behind , but they should get about 250 k each ........ unless they piss us off , then they can sell the new camper I will buy, after spunking evrything

strangely , their attitudes towards us have softened recently

Just get the new camper, yours had a leak didn't it?
They wouldn't want you getting sick now would they! XD

ste14w

MIA
Alternatively, you could stay around for a lot longer, get yourself together, get back into work and who knows, maybe get back on the property ladder.
That's assuming your medical condition isn't moving into untreatable territory?
A will is the only way to ensure that what you leave goes to the right people, so unfortunately money is going to have to be spent. People have already suggested charities, so it probably won't cost you much.
I know that this time of year must be a b*****d for you, but you've seen recently how easily things can turn around, stick with it mate, the more you make, the more you can leave them.

Just get the new camper, yours had a leak didn't it?
They wouldn't want you getting sick now would they! XD
I'd have to sell it at a loss , or trade it and get ripped off by the dealer again

Latest Threads