My last topic....lets start again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hard_worker, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly, i'd like to apologise for the topic i started last night.
    Ive not been on this forum before and thought it would be a good idea to get the general feeling from the guys on here. I jumped straight in with a question that obviously you all feel quite passionate about.
    Im currently on CLM, and ive been set a defence project and asked should the 3 services amalgamate and form 1 single force. (This isnt my own opinion)
    Ive done my research into it, and i'm now a bit stuck, i think ive said everything i need to about pay, tradition, uniforms, training, joint operations, exercise, medical etc and thought i'd look at it another way and get a general opinion from the lads.

I didnt want to give too much away before, i obviously didnt know how this forum is run, journalists etc.

So please accept my apology again, and any PM's would be appreciated with helpful books that i may not have come across.
    Also, anything i use from here, will be referenced in my assignment.
    Many thanks

2. Well it has not been a gret success in Canada has it.

They were shafted for petty political reasons by someone who hated the military and thought he could have an instant USMC, by destroying the very ethos of each service. Convieniently forgetting that the US Marines are the smallest of the US forces and that the USA, USN and USAF also exist.

3. You certainly got a bit of flak with your last post.

I’m not sure why, as it has been a topic of discussion for a number of years – at least dating back to when Canada re-arranged its Armed Forces. Maybe you touched a nerve given the recent history of UK Defence cuts and the embattled position in which HM Forces now find themselves.

I don’t know the details of the Canadian experience but from the few of their servicemen I have met, I got the impression it ended up being largely cosmetic – similar uniforms.

So I suggest research into Canada could be a good start.

4. Didn't see the first topic, but it would appear a reasonable discussion to have given the current inability to operate jointly with all 3 services.

Also, recent op experience would suggest that its easier to operate with the US than it is with the RAF or NAVY from an Army perspective so perhaps it is worth looking at why.

5. Anyone know where to find the origonal topic?

6. The Arrsehole

7. HERE

8. An interesting question. It would be easy to take the areas you have highlighted and then systematically destoy any argument for taking such a step. It might be judged that you were then less than objective.

It may be better to look at the proposal from the point of view of why and who would want to do such a thing? If you drill down into the why/who aspect you may start getting some surprising answers. Some case studies from history and around the world might support your arguments.

It is just a thought and remember - you don't have to believe what you present, but it is useful to challenge the percieved view.

(Of course it is a crap idea, but so was getting rid of the majority of infantry line regiments)

9. You have to take the military industrial complex into account. There is a great deal of business being done.

An amalgamation would mean alot less money going to arms manufacturers. BAE etc. Hence it will never ever happen.

IMO The marine corps exists as is because they wanted to spend more money on guns and planes and ships, not less.

10. Many thanks for all your input, views, reasons, links etc. The canada and china info was useful.
    I'll let you know how i get on, and anything i use will be recognised.
    Cheers

11. As the Government seems very unsympathetic to HM Forces maybe we have the same situation in the UK.

So those who have opinions could do worse than give them here.

Personally, I believe this is a solution in search of a problem.

There would still be three “departments” each with its own ethos and operational, equipment and manning requirements.

12. Sure, investigate why that is the case but amalgamating the three Services into one isn’t going to solve the problem – see my comments above.

13. Not sure I follow that argument.

Each of the three Services has its own particular equipment requirements regardless of whether or not they are amalgamated.

14. I work in a joint unit, and even at this level everyone seems to want to pull in their own direction.

Pretty fustrating really.