My land stolem by the local electricity board.

At the back of mygarden is aplot of fenced off land that belongtto the local electricity board.
Their "old" fence used to metmy fence at 90degrees so dboth were attached to the same post.
Theyhave now put a sub station and new fence bu
T the new fence is 1 foot into my property and I cannot get to my old fence to replace it.

CAN I RIP DOWN THEIR FENCE LEGALY..?.

Also if they have used anything to attach their fence to my wall an I pull it down.

At the back of mygarden is aplot of fenced off land that belongtto the local electricity board.
Their "old" fence used to metmy fence at 90degrees so dboth were attached to the same post.
T the new fence is 1 foot into my property and I cannot get to my old fence to replace it.

Also if they have used anything to attach their fence to my wall an I pull it down.
I’d go to the council first, or even contact the electricity board.

Do you have photos/plans/the deeds to the house showing the extent of the garden originally?

Last edited:
They require permission and have to make a payment to build on private land.
Our cricket club leases a square of land for a phone mast.
There are lots of regulations regarding what they can and can't do and payments they must make for wayleave.
You will also need to refer to your deeds which show your site boundaries.

If it really is your land then yes rip it down but then you have a substation at the end of your garden. Might be a wee bit dangerous.

write to them, give them 10 business days to sort it out, if they don´t then send them another letter informing them of the action that you intend to take and what the cost will be to them.

Rip it down, put a new fence up and invoice them.

Chase via small claims court when they fail to pay.

This is a very convoluted area of the law. Firstly if you destroy any of their property it is a criminal offence. Think of it along the lines of the neighbours kid who constantly pisses you off by kicking his ball into your garden. One day enough is enough and you tell him he cannot have his ball back. He may not enter onto your property to retrieve the ball. Likewise you must leave the ball exactly where it landed - to move it into your house, shed, or other part of the garden starts to become a criminal offence on your part - proofs are required but, it all becomes messy, emotional and expensive.

Initially write to the offending party pointing out the error of their employee's - as that is probably what it is, some underpaid Romanian pikey working cash in hand for the pukka contractor who got the job. If you have photographs of how it was dig them out, send one or two over with your initially very reasonable first letter just to show them. Do not send all photo's.

You should be able to map out your plot from the land registry plan/map. However, be warned the scale of the map and the nice thick red line they use makes the boundary something like 5 feet wide if scaled up.

Get a couple of neighbours to write statements backing up your claim too.

Warning: We went through this with the inlaws when a neighbour had a new fence put up. The fencing company effectively moved the boundary over 18 inches for the entire length of the garden. Lots of verbal, they still had original phots from 20 years previous, I did an initial GPS survey to confirm against the land registry plan, paid for an independent surveyor to do a survey that agreed with the inlaws claim and they still ended up in court. The judge found for the neighbour and instructed the inlaws to pay everyones costs (15K) - go figure. They could have appealed but, the brief told them that if they lost again on appeal it would be nearer 30K. As far as, the solicitor, two surveyors, and the barrister mate of the BiL were concerned the ducks were all in a row and the neighbour would be slapped. Seriously, go figure, and be aware of the expensive pitfalls.

Try and be reasonable with them initially and do not go shouting the odd's at them. Keep all correspondence, do not conduct phone calls as there is no direct proof of what was said - letters and emails are better.

Pssst: Also have a check on Google maps, bing maps and some of the other mapping sites to see if they indicate your old boundary.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Burn it with fire! Seriously dont, get in touch and talk wayleave, they will have a customer service manager that deals specifically with this. It will be easy to sort out.

Find your local pikey encampment and tell them that the electricity company have been twunts and put the substation on your land. Tell them that they haven't yet turned on the substation, so all that expensive copper wiring is just sitting there doing nothing.

Get a deck chair and some decent drinks and watch the fireworks of exploding pikey in the middle of the night.

Find your local pikey encampment and tell them that the electricity company have been twunts and put the substation on your land. Tell them that they haven't yet turned on the substation, so all that expensive copper wiring is just sitting there doing nothing.

Get a deck chair and some decent drinks and watch the fireworks of exploding pikey in the middle of the night.
This should be nominated for ARRSE post of the week!.

Twat. Good thing my coffee mug was on the desk.:)

Least of your problems mate - they've also nicked half the letters from your keyboard and your punctuation.

Most mentioned above; Get on google earth, bing maps etc tonight and print off and pdf with password protect and screenshot to show the fence as it was. Take photos & see if you have any old ones. Any damage done? photo's again...even scruffy turf or a gravel border costs money to replace..

Then get the land registry/property details from your deeds, mortgage etc. You could always sue the solicitor/conveyancer ;)

Get estimates from quality landscapers to remove & refit fence at original location, even cost it yourself
. If the fence was old, phone some posh architectural salvage places & get estimates for 'vintage fencing'. Even if they have some, it'll probably ne more expensive than new - another bargaining point. Was the old fence painted or treated? is the new one? Did it have hooks on it or coping? you wanrto be restored as it was, , even a few crappy hooks cost money, take time and increase the PITA factor for their estimators and/or legal team. which side are the fenceposts/piers on, for example, that could be a few square inches of encroachment right there.

Don't forget to factor in your time , including reading this thread [business/pleasure/social use, say 50%]

After the map stuff and land registry at the start, you can slowtime the rest, assuming they haven't just claimed back a bit of land that they 'gave' you to start with.. Even so, get a goodwill payment or free paint to match the old fence. If it's mote than ? 12 years, do you get 'squatters rights'?
Didn't Sweden or somewhere do a study on electromagnetic radiation afew [maybe 20!] years back? I thought living under a pylon wasn't great, substations, dunno. I would expect you could be stressed and depressed and scared of an increased risk. Certainlly, you've had stress already...

The above partially-reliable advice is free, though if you find yourself with a spare garden gnome at the end of it....

EDit: have two figures in mind: one is they actually have stolen your land, the other not. Round up, add a bit & call them both 'go away' money. If they don't cough up, argue each point separately to increase the PITA factor. It's easy, just add a new point at the end of a previous letter (if you're feeling nice) or in the middle somewhere (if you're not). Don't bother keeping the formattimng , font the same, never number paragraphs, they hate that :)

Last edited:
Most mentioned above; Get on google earth, bing maps etc tonight and print off and pdf with password protect and screenshot to show the fence as it was. Take photos & see if you have any old ones. Any damage done? photo's again...even scruffy turf or a gravel border costs money to replace..

Then get the land registry/property details from your deeds, mortgage etc. You could always sue the solicitor/conveyancer ;)

Get estimates from quality landscapers to remove & refit fence at original location, even cost it yourself
. If the fence was old, phone some posh architectural salvage places & get estimates for 'vintage fencing'. Even if they have some, it'll probably ne more expensive than new - another bargaining point. Was the old fence painted or treated? is the new one? Did it have hooks on it or coping? you wanrto be restored as it was, , even a few crappy hooks cost money, take time and increase the PITA factor for their estimators and/or legal team.

Don't forget to factor in your time , including reading this thread [business/pleasure/social use, say 50%]

After the map stuff and land registry at the start, you can slowtime the rest, assuming they haven't just claimed back a bit of land that they 'gave' you to start with.. Even so, get a goodwill payment or free paint to match the old fence. If it's mote than ? 12 years, do you get 'squatters rights'?
Didn't Sweden or somewhere do a study on electromagnetic radiation afew [maybe 20!] years back? I thought living under a pylon wasn't great, substations, dunno. I would expect you could be stressed and depressed and scared of an increased risk. Certainlly, you've had stress already...

The above partially-reliable advice is free, though if you find yourself with a spare garden gnome at the end of it....
Was your previous username offendi? Because if it wasn’t, well done for providing the most shit advice this side of the Magna Carta.

. If the fence was old, phone some posh architectural salvage places & get estimates for 'vintage fencing'. Even if they have some, it'll probably ne more expensive than new - another bargaining point. Was the old fence painted or treated? is the new one? Did it have hooks on it or coping? you wanrto be restored as it was, , even a few crappy hooks cost money, take time and increase the PITA factor for their estimators and/or legal team. which side are the fenceposts/piers on, for example, that could be a few square inches of encroachment right there.

EDit: have two figures in mind: one is they actually have stolen your land, the other not. Round up, add a bit & call them both 'go away' money. If they don't cough up, argue each point separately to increase the PITA factor. It's easy, just add a new point at the end of a previous letter (if you're feeling nice) or in the middle somewhere (if you're not). Don't bother keeping the formattimng , font the same, never number paragraphs, they hate that :)
You've cornered the market in BS, well done :)

Was your previous username offendi? Because if it wasn’t, well done for providing the most shit advice this side of the Magna Carta.
Fair enough, I have no proper legal experience, it's just what I'd feel like doing if I was annoyed about my garden being mucked about with.

If you can stand to, a critique would be interesting, honestly. Edit: Anglo too
Ta in advance

You could just ask them if they have enclosed your fence within their fence for a specific reason before going all Rambo or Rumpole on them.

You never know... they might just say oops, leave it with us sir and we'll get it sorted.

You could just ask them if they have enclosed your fence within their fence for a specific reason before going all Rambo or Rumpole on them.

You never know... they might just say oops, leave it with us sir and we'll get it sorted.
Being reasonable? On ARRSE? Are you mad?

Latest Threads