My Grandfather's medals

Yokel

LE
I (or rather my part of the family) has recently taken possession of my Grandfathers medals from his naval service during the Second World War. Can you help me identify them?

20210615_103525.jpg

Left to Right...

Unknown

1939 - 1945 Star

Atlantic Star with France and Germany Clasp - Normandy campaign?

Pacific Star

Italy Star

Unknown

Unknown

To be added: Arctic Star

Once the Arctic Star goes on, that'll be a stunning group.

NGSM w/c 'PALESTINE' (or it should be - can't make out the wording)

39-45 Star
Atlantic Star (yes, the clasp would probably be for service off the Normandy coast).
Pacific Star
Italy Star
War Medal
Royal Fleet Reserve LSGC.

Have a look and see what that clasp on the NGSM tells us, please.

The reason I ask is that the script seems to long for the correct clasp: a pre-war 'PALESTINE' clasp, though mounted on an Army/RAF GSM:

1623758654016.png

here, an NGSM for post-war clasp:

1623758568542.png

I suspect it might be post-war and he couldn't be asked to have them remounted.

Union Jack

Old-Salt
Once the Arctic Star goes on, that'll be a stunning group.

NGSM w/c 'PALESTINE' (or it should be - can't make out the wording)

39-45 Star
Atlantic Star (yes, the clasp would probably be for service off the Normandy coast).
Pacific Star
Italy Star
War Medal
Royal Fleet Reserve LSGC.

Have a look and see what that clasp on the NGSM tells us, please.
Agree with FourZeroCharlie, both regarding this outstanding group and "Palestine", the only campaign that seems to fit timewise, especial during KGVI's reign. This could be checked if the family have obtained the awardee's SDs. I also seem able to pick out the letters "...TIN..." in the photo.

Jack

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
He served in the RN before the war, came out, and was then recalled. He served until after VE Day - I do not know what his date of discharge was.

He served in the RN before the war, came out, and was then recalled. He served until after VE Day - I do not know what his date of discharge was.
if you'd care to mail me his full name, number and (if you have it) a DOB, I'll see if I can find anything about him.

Caution though: as a 'modern' group, there's not going to be much that's open source.

huscarl

Old-Salt
ISTR the Andrew would give a chap a new number when posted to a new division, so medals may have different numbers/description/rank stuff.
( Slight sidebar off main topic), Prior to 1920 or 21 the British Army was the same, each Regiment issuing a soldiers "Regimental Number" if a soldier was transferred to a different Regiment he was given a new Regimental number. Officers prior to the above date did not have a service number at all.

Yokel

LE
if you'd care to mail me his full name, number and (if you have it) a DOB, I'll see if I can find anything about him.

Caution though: as a 'modern' group, there's not going to be much that's open source.

Mum's birth certificate has got his service number from a few months before D Day, when he was serving in HMS Belfast.

Would I be right in thinking that there was no star or medal for the Mediterranean, and people would have got a star for either Italy or North Africa? There was considerable naval involvement in the landings on Sicily and the Italian mainland.

Mum's birth certificate has got his service number from a few months before D Day, when he was serving in HMS Belfast.

Would I be right in thinking that there was no star or medal for the Mediterranean, and people would have got a star for either Italy or North Africa? There was considerable naval involvement in the landings on Sicily and the Italian mainland.

The criteria for WWII medals and stars quite convoluted and probably more so for RN (and associated Army personnel who found themselves afloat: DEMS gunners, those who served wholly on troopships and hospital ships, etc).

Depending on the key words such as 'in the area of' and 'in support of' would impact on the award of both the Africa Star (and any clasp to that star) and the Italy Star.

For confirmation, you will need sight of his Service Record, as anything else would simply be a SWAG.

. . . anyway, a little light reading for you: https://www.defence.gov.au/medals/_Master/docs/Imperial/WWII/WWII-Summary-of-Conditions.pdf

Though it's from the Oz Defence Dept site, it is a copy of the initial award criteria from 1948.