My girlfriends started at the gym..

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by conure, Aug 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Basically to spend more time with me before I start basic, and also to work towards the womans ultimate aim in life - to lose weight..

Anyway, her mum told her not to go too often as she'll do herself some damage, on the other hand the gym instructers (they are good, got me fit very quickly) say come down as often as possible and push yourself very hard, so the question is, how hard is it to damage your heart (she is 18) by over exercising, its basically to put her mind at rest because I keep going until I physically can't go any further and its never done me any harm..

2. Amaze me , is her mum incredibly fit and healthy or a fag toting hefty momma

no offence to your prospective mother in law intended

3. Hmm, well shes not thin + fit, said going to the gym is boring..but spends a fair amount of time outdoors..I'd say average to look at, not fat..slightly overweight maybe, whys that?

4. Bad idea mate, she will start to love the gym and when you are away on basic training, she will be starting her own basic training with all those gym studs/posers :wink:

5. Bad idea mate, she will start to love the gym and when you are away on basic training, she will be starting her own basic training with all those gym studs/posers
    hahaha! good luck to her mate!

6. Most "oh the gym will damage your back / running will screw your knees" people are fat and lazy and have never done either

7. how about the heart, can loads of running damage the heart of an 18 year old (with no heart condition..)

8. haha! I just sent this to her in a text...'Most "oh the gym will damage your back / running will screw your knees" people are fat and lazy and have never done either '

She replied with 'ah right, cheers..I'll remember not to make any comments on it in the future..thanks a lot'

9. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Just send the fat cow round to me and I'll burn a few calories off her...................................with a blowtorch. Then and only then, will I stick a screwdriver in her liver.

10. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Just send the fat cow round to me and I'll burn a few calories off her...................................with a blowtorch. Then and only then, will I stick a screwdriver in her liver.

If you did that I'd be forced to bite your throat out and wnak in the hole

(even if it did make me laugh)

11. I'm so glad you mention later in the thread that she's 18, because in the first post it says 1....creepy.

Anyway, going to the gym and exercising will strengthen the heart....sitting at home watching Trisha and the like will weaken the heart (and probably make her fat to the point where, one day, she is a subject on said Trisha programme).

As I understand it, the heart, being a muscular organ will strengthen when repeatedly exercised....the only time I can think of when exercise could weaken the heart is if you have an infection as this is known to cause damage to the heart muscle.

If she's worried about it then go to the gym 3 times a week and replace any extra gym sessions with 30-60 minutes in the pool. Swimming is the best all round exercise as it not only improves cardiovascular fitness, but is also great for toning and strengthening. Even if you don't reduce the amount of times you are going to the gym I would still recommend swimming as often as you can.

12. IF shes fat why bother ?dump her and get a thin chick , when shes lost the kilos of flab then re evaluate the situation, maybe shed be motivated to loose it fast!!!

13. This is true but there's another way it weakens the heart - when you don't eat enough to go with the exercise and your muscles start eating themselves.......yummy. Happened to me last year, liver starting doing a cannabalism thingy on me coz too underweight and training my ass off in the gym. It's taken me this long just to get the fecking thing back to normal strength. Your heart, being a muscle, will shrink too if you overdo exercise/underdo eating (not enough nutrients, body eats itself, etc.) Bit icky. Better warn her about that too.

14. There is a lesson in there somewhere dear...

Ge the grub down yer neck and stop being a twat! :wink:

15. Are you saying all us 'ex', ... come to that still serving, on here with knacked knees, backs and ankles are fat lazy f*cks... 8O or daft b*stards that beasted ourselves running in boots, attacked the bridge build with vigour and enthusiasim etc.....

Just wondered thats all :roll: