My girlfriend has a few questions

I'm hoping to join the Queens Dragoons (have my selection at the end of next month) and my partner has some questions, i've been trying to ring my recruitment office but its always engaged.
The QDG are based in Germany at the moment and we are planning on getting married before I go so she will be coming out to live with me hopefully.

These are her questions, if anybody can help it would be great..

1. Is the television in german lang?
2. Whats the security like house wise?
3. Whats the area that we might be moving to like?
4. I've been told that there's armed guards on a gate, is this true?
5. I've been told if i cant drive people will come to my house and take me shopping, is this true?
6. If say my mom came to germany to visit how do we go about getting them into the compound?
7. How long will my boyfriend be away for at times? (just a rough est)
8. How long will he be back for at times? (again just a rough est)
9. Will i able to get internet?
10. What kind of stuff do we need to take with us?
11. What kind of stuff is there to do over there?
12. What kind of stuff is there for my 9 month old son to do?
13. What are the houses like?
14. If we're out there long enough for school, what are they like?
15. My passport has ran out and my little boy hasn't got one yet, do we need to sort them out or is there a faster way of doing it?
16. We've been told that we may not stay in the same areas, does that mean that every time he moves we have to pay for me and my son to move to?
17. What do we actually have to pay for over there such as rent, council tax, water, gas, electric?
18. Is there any do's and dont's when living in the compound? If so what are they?

Thanks in advance, Matthew

Miffman said:

ermmmm ......crawl?? Suck lego?? Eat worms???

Seriously though, rearparty is the place to go, you'll get ripped to bits on here

Miffman said:
I'm hoping to join the Queens Dragoons (have my selection at the end of next month) and my partner has some questions, i've been trying to ring my recruitment office but its always engaged.
The QDG are based in Germany at the moment and we are planning on getting married before I go so she will be coming out to live with me hopefully.

1. Is the television in german lang? NO, only the German channels
2. Whats the security like house wise? Pass
3. Whats the area that we might be moving to like? Pass
4. I've been told that there's armed guards on a gate, is this true? Normally
5. I've been told if i cant drive people will come to my house and take me shopping, is this true? No
6. If say my mom came to germany to visit how do we go about getting them into the compound? What compound, if you have a quarter, they are off camp generally
7. How long will my boyfriend be away for at times? (just a rough est)Depends on the units commitments
8. How long will he be back for at times? (again just a rough est)Depends on the units commitments
9. Will i able to get internet? Yes
The usual, just think of it to an extended visit to another country
11. What kind of stuff is there to do over there? Loads, zoos, museums, other towns to visit
12. What kind of stuff is there for my 9 month old son to do? sleep, eat and what ever 9 months old do, there could be nursery places for him when he's older
13. What are the houses like? Depends on the area
14. If we're out there long enough for school, what are they like? Pass
15. My passport has ran out and my little boy hasn't got one yet, do we need to sort them out or is there a faster way of doing it? The unit will sort your blokes pasport out, wives and kids have to provide their own
16. We've been told that we may not stay in the same areas, does that mean that every time he moves we have to pay for me and my son to move to? You'll move if the unit moves or you need a bigger qtr, some of the moves will be at public expense
17. What do we actually have to pay for over there such as rent, council tax, water, gas, electric? In Germany, it all comes out of his wages
18. Is there any do's and dont's when living in the compound? If so what are they?They'll be explained to you in the welcome pack for your qtr

Somebody hit me, I've gorn all sensible :D

Don't they have the broadcasting flagship that was BFBS any more?? Gutted!!!

Oh and qu 14...the forces schools are WAY better than the UK schools in my experience!!

No Offence.... but you aren't even in the Army yet, let alone passed basic and Phase 2 and your asking about welfare. Are you joining for the wrong reasons... i.e. No Job in Civvy street or prospects? If so mate then your joining for the wrong reasons, we need committed people only these days, does wifey know that you might go to Afghan not long after your married and she might be in a new country with few friends if so... Have a long hard think mate, this isn't an easy option to not having a job and getting an easy house!

Miffman said:

BFBS in English or Satalite TV
Same as any house in UK unless it is within the base.
?
For the Camps yes.
5. I've been told if i cant drive people will come to my house and take me shopping, is this true?
Only if your OF is deployed or your in a very remote quater.
6. If say my mom came to germany to visit how do we go about getting them into the compound?
It is not a compound. Most quaters are in German housing areas. Guests have to be sponsored and will be given a pass of some sort.
Impossible to say, ask for a ploy if/when he gets a Unit.
See above
Yes
It is like UK with another language not the moon???
See above
Same sort of thing as UK
All different but most likely you will get a flat.....quite large usually.
Based on the UK system with UK teachers
15. My passport has ran out and my little boy hasn't got one yet, do we need to sort them out or is there a faster way of doing it?
You need to sort them, if you wait until married it might delay your move.... not his!
16. We've been told that we may not stay in the same areas, does that mean that every time he moves we have to pay for me and my son to move to?
He will be paid an allowance when you have to move house.... not the first time.
17. What do we actually have to pay for over there such as rent, council tax, water, gas, electric?
You have to pay F&L = Fuel and Light and CILOCT which comes out of his wage.
18. Is there any do's and dont's when living in the compound? If so what are they?
NOT A COMPOUND! Lots of Do's and dont's, mostly good sense, you will get a guide book. Dont take single soldiers home when he is away is a top starter! Stay away from Royal Engineers as your knickers will melt!

Look on the internet for BFG and most of this and more will be answered for you.

Miffman said:

Not if you have satellite

Front door lock

Full of Germans

Probably, but they won't shoot unless you antagonise them

Yes a taxi

Tell the guards it's your Mam

Depends on opening hours at local bars

Till he has had a shower and a leg over, then off again

Yes

Just overnight bag will do

Drinking, sex, sleeping, same as UK really

Crawl about on a German floor

Jerry Built

Big buildings full of kids

Don't have sex in the garden
Sorry I was unable to answer all the questions, sure someone could complete the ones I missed

You could school her in the little known but well practised Mongol tradition of "gettingherbiffersmashedalloveryourfrontroombyamaraudinggangofwarriorswhileyouarebatteneddowninaroastingAFV40milesaway"

It may also help her to develop subtle shoplifting skills, to take a college course in spreading gossip and untruths and buy her a pit bull to match her leopard skin leggings.

Reni

(advice does not reflect my personal view, but that of Leanne W****s, late of Fallingboestal, Hohne and Munchengladbach, who regaled frightening tales to me over the course of a families day..now no longer with us....the fat sh*t)

reni_77 said:
You could school her in the little known but well practised Mongol tradition of "gettingherbiffersmashedalloveryourfrontroombyamaraudinggangofwarriorswhileyouarebatteneddowninaroastingAFV40milesaway"
Otherwise known as OMO for short!

Alsacien

MIA
Taffnp said:
Miffman said:

Not if you have satellite

Front door lock

Full of Germans

Probably, but they won't shoot unless you antagonise them

Yes a taxi

Depends on opening hours at local bars

Till he has had a shower and a leg over, then off again

Yes

Just overnight bag will do

Drinking, sex, sleeping, same as UK really

Crawl about on a German floor

Jerry Built

Big buildings full of kids

Does your car have a boot?

You will normally be in the same area as your husband, often in the same house.
If you move some big, smelly blokes will turn up, throw everything you own in big boxes and shift it for you for free - but get insurance because everything will arrive broken.

If you live in a house or appartment and use water or gas or electricity, you will have to pay for it [if that is ok with you?]

Don't have sex in the garden but nude sunbathing is acceptable
Sorry I was unable to answer all the questions, sure someone could complete the ones I missed

You know how people say that theres no such thing as a stupid question?
Well congratulations Matthew, you've well and truly dispelled that myth.

Bloody hell, does your girlfriend/ fiance think we germans live in caves?

oooops, forgot ,we do

Sorry if this sounds cruel, but is your GF actually old enough to get married? by English law standards I mean?

They are the questions of a child.

what next, will my BF have to wear a soldiery type clothing thingy?

Your G/F may need some private counselling. She should contact me by PM within 24 hours to make an appointment. I dont charge for my services.

Wrong wrong wrong. She will need to offer a few favours to get past the gates.

Wonk_Mog said:
Wrong wrong wrong. She will need to offer a few favours to get past the gates.
Maybe when they see her, they will just wave her in :)