My flat is under siege by scum - what can I do?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you say 'Slaaaaaaaagggggggg' a lot?
you have met me then !!
I did post a few images on here back in 2017 of the events, but I have since deleted the files
the old gizzard in the wheelchair fooled everybody, it was just our position and disguise as street furniture allowed us a chance to see the finer detail

I have only just looked at them stunning utterly stunning, almost as if you can see inside a persons soul
you have the eye of Andrea Camilleri for detail, he painted with words the images he took with his eyes
Thank you :)
You can see many more, if you're interested, on my faceache page: PaulCrespelStreetPhotography

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you :)
You can see many more, if you're interested, on my faceache page: PaulCrespelStreetPhotography
I will try and find it, I only use face ache for my bike club and a walking club thingy
its an amazing contrast between the ancient city, its wealth and tourism and the suble undercurrents, that most people never see
as a scruffy old motorcyclist, on a scruffy old Italian motorcycle I have found the barriers between both opened up to me many times
I carry a small compact camera to record images and vignettes to help jog the memory
one day when I am no longer able to travel that way I can look at them and bring the light back into the room

I will try and find it, I only use face ache for my bike club and a walking club thingy
its an amazing contrast between the ancient city, its wealth and tourism and the suble undercurrents, that most people never see
as a scruffy old motorcyclist, on a scruffy old Italian motorcycle I have found the barriers between both opened up to me many times
I carry a small compact camera to record images and vignettes to help jog the memory
one day when I am no longer able to travel that way I can look at them and bring the light back into the room
I remember having a few Italian bikes in the 70s. I remember looking under the bike before starting the engine. If there was no oil puddle on the floor it meant there was no oil left in the engine, but so much more personality than the Jap bikes. My favourites, though, were my '70s Triumphs. They didn't leak quite as much oil as the Italian bikes :D

I only use a small, pocketable, fixed wide angle lens Fuji, and the photos are from all over northern and central Italy over the last 10 years. Milan, Verona, Vicenza, Venice, Bologna, Tuscany etc.

Many decades ago it was my trade, then I gave up in the mid 90s, only to take it up again about 10 years ago as a bit of a hobby. I don't crop, straighten or edit my street photos, and none of them are posed. Most of my victims never even realise they've been shot ;)

Green_Homer

War Hero
Big issue we notice is- people are more keen to make their name on facebook as a victim and stick whatever footage they have on there first-then inform the police. Local Facebook groups being the main culprit where everyone turns into Sherlock holmes. Then someone will comment “police aren’t doing enough”...and it won’t have even been reported to police.
Neighbourhood watch groups also-not a bad thing until...someone, after having spoken to the visiting police inspector at a meeting, Inspector invariably has said at some point "of course you can contact me". Mrs COUNCILLOR Muriel Smith or whoever then thinks she's best mates with and has a hotline to the inspector-so she goes on to inform her group to report everything to her and she'll be the point of contact for the police. Results in reports being sometimes days old before they are actually seen.

I dealt with something a month or so ago-bloke had spotted something pretty serious and had he called 999 it would have got an emergency (possibly armed) response.

He posted it to Twitter - and informed police by email over 6 hours after, after someone on twitter pointed out to him it might be a good idea.

My local HO force recently had to put up posts on their official Facebook accounts as a result of a flood of posts complaining of dog theft / attempt theft. Virtually all slating the police for doing nothing etc..

If you believed the posts on FB then the whole county was full of people waiting to snatch dogs from you in broad daylight - the stats... a whopping 2 reports of ATTEMPT theft for pretty much the East of the county in a year (I didn't read the non local posts)!

The posts were all updated by the various local neighbourhood skippers and refreshingly honest, saying that if events were happening then people were not reporting them and therefore how can they be investigated?

99.99'% of the posts were, "Yea but innit what about the one that I read about on FB?" and "useless plod dont do nuffing" rather than direct accounts. Skippers reiterated that whilst they are not saying people are lying they can only say that the stats say otherwise and if people say otherwise then please report it. Met with the same response, rinse and repeat...

Then there were the ones almost hysterical that they, (or the hypothetical elderly person that they didn't know) were too scared to walk their dogs and anyone who tried to stroke it was attempting to steal it.. Did they report this because they were so scared..? What do you think.. nope FB is the best place to put it whilst complaining that "plod don't do nuffing".

A comment on a random facebook post seems to be accepted by a significant part of the public as a police report and lots, despite clear messages to the contrary, believe it is live monitored 24hrs a day with immediate response!

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi Gentleman,

Thought I would post this here as there are actually some knowledgeable people on this board that might be able to provide some decent advice.

About six weeks ago I split from my GF and moved back into my own flat.

It was quickly noticeable to me that the environs surrounding the flat had completely declined since I had last lived there.

Firstly, we have an alley way that runs past the flats that runs from the street to a very large park area. I see people stood at the entrance of this alleyway daily - I have never seen drugs actually change hands but it is quite obvious what they are up to. This alley provides excellent routes in and out, including into a large park where they could easily lose any police attention.

The street itself is terribly lit and is quite intimidating during the hours of darkness. I asked the management company that manages our building why the lights weren't on at the entrance to the building.
They were quite surprised because apparently they had fixed the lights only a couple of months ago. It turns out someone has removed the lightbulbs. These lights help to illuminate the alleyway, and without them it is in total darkness. It is certainly a combat indicator of skullduggery going on.

On the other side of the building my flat overlooks a green that backs onto a bridge with a dual carriageway. The bushes at the back of this green are used nightly for drug taking and drug dealing by a group of between 6-12 people. At night time I can see torches and lighters being lit in the bushes constantly. My balcony overlooks all of this so I can sit watching their activities to my hearts content. They are on mobile phones often and often have very loud shouting matches. I imagine they are very intimidating to walk past.

The general ambience of the area screams 'shithole' now. At night there all sorts of unsavoury characters lurking, often in groups.

Because the area is next to the town centre it has always had its fair share of druggies and homeless passing through but this is something else.

I have made a report to the police via their website and although they acknowledged receiving it I haven't heard anything about it.

As much as I want to channel my inner Punisher and start shooting them with a crossbow from my balcony, what are my options?
Is there any way I can get the police to bother to do anything?

We hada simelar problem in north london once "its our culture to sit in bushes late at nite in the rain" anyway a few folks reported the drugs dealing etc and nothing happened for six moths........until the big raid the gun find lots of our culture's in the back of lots of police vans and the local community centre who were hosting these gits was locked down whilst the court case was held on two of the council centre workers. just because it doesnt look like something isnt being done dont mean it isnt. your camera video files might assist .

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
ps honestly last week here on my English village facebook site someone posted a missing dog in Eire ,just in case .

SmilingKnight

Old-Salt
UPDATE

Plod have turned up. Blue lights blazing!

Only caught half the goings on out of the window, but they certainly had a good look around the area and picked some items off the floor.
One of them had a lot to write into his notebook.

I saw him heading towards a house that faced towards the area (across the street from us). Hopefully that was someone else with the gumption to report it. Good for them.

Good news

...because the stolen dogs are ending up in the UK and vice versa. Ask the dog pound operators. Just like the tools stolen in the UK by the "Caravan Club" end up over here.

UPDATE

Plod have turned up. Blue lights blazing!

Only caught half the goings on out of the window, but they certainly had a good look around the area and picked some items off the floor.
One of them had a lot to write into his notebook.

I saw him heading towards a house that faced towards the area (across the street from us). Hopefully that was someone else with the gumption to report it. Good for them.

Good news
You should get some feedback from NPT on what their strategy is to sort this out. Chances are you won't though. If that is the case then next time you make a report, state on it you'd be grateful for some interraction with NPT. Don't do what many people do and assume the position of "bombard them with reports then something will get done". Another common trick is-husband and wife will both make identical report at same time-thinking it will equate to 2 separate reports and will then be given higher priority. It doesnt work quite like that.

There are people who send the same report via email, at the same time everyday, regardless. The wording never changes. Those will still get logged but- its common for them to be closed down straight away on the basis of "last 3 times same report was made-officers attended and nothing was ongoing". And dont suffix every report, regardless of what it is with "And no sign of social distancing or facemasks during national lockdown".

Make every report count.

#Of all the CCTV footage that gets sent in-the ones with best footage leading to identification tend to come from the Amazon ring doorbell type ones-where people report someone trying their door / car doors etc at 02:30.
I wouild also advise people to be wary of what they post on their local facebook groups regarding progress in investigating crimes reported. Many of the most active on my local facebook group are actually parents of / friends with many of the local scrotes. People think theyre being helpful / having their 15 minutes of fame by updating "police came round today and they think it might be..." etc. Essentially-its just giving people heads up on what alibi to form.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember having a few Italian bikes in the 70s. I remember looking under the bike before starting the engine. If there was no oil puddle on the floor it meant there was no oil left in the engine, but so much more personality than the Jap bikes. My favourites, though, were my '70s Triumphs. They didn't leak quite as much oil as the Italian bikes :D

I only use a small, pocketable, fixed wide angle lens Fuji, and the photos are from all over northern and central Italy over the last 10 years. Milan, Verona, Vicenza, Venice, Bologna, Tuscany etc.

Many decades ago it was my trade, then I gave up in the mid 90s, only to take it up again about 10 years ago as a bit of a hobby. I don't crop, straighten or edit my street photos, and none of them are posed. Most of my victims never even realise they've been shot ;)
I carried an Olympus trip 35 for 25 years, nevere let me down, Last year I gave it to a young chap interested in photography
now I bounce around with my Faithful G12, it has all sorts of settings and stuff, none of which I ever use
point and squirt
and because it is just a compact camera in a tatty old case it has not been stolen yet

One problem I faced, working for a friend fitting out his property we noticed lots of dealing going on, some unsavoury characters, and dodgy motors coming and going, and vehicles being inspected, we cycled to work and parked inside, tools and kit delivered early doors
we photographed them all and kept records, eventually we gave the various characters nicknames, and knew exactly what time the re supply drop was likely, where it would be parked and what sort of car
sent all of this along to the Police, but heard nothing back, now bearing in mind its 3 months into a 5 month contract, I would at least have expected a visit and a chat, or a phone call

anyway one day we see two dodgy looking geezers in a tatty car, and as mni Osama jigs past they grip him and pat him down,we sus they is the five oh, this time he has nothing on him, and gives it large about just going to see a mate innit, they drive off and he waits for them to vanish, changes course, runs around the bloke and comes back to the flat where they are dealing to warn Osama.
of course the peelers pop back a little later, so I walk outside, and as they go past me in a narrow lane, drop my business card into the window and carry on walking ( lots of flats overlooking the area, and several of them have known clients living in them)

a little while later the phone rings and we give them the password for the electronic doors
they come in have a cuppa, and we explain that we have been sending the cop shop images and statements weekly, one chap is the sarge on the drug squad, he has had no info about it, and said its likely that a senior officer decided it wsa not worth bothering about and put them in his file for a power point pressy
A mate who is a retired cop said they only ever get 10 percent of intelligence directly !
upshot, he gives us a phone no that we put in the phone with a blind name ( in case the phone is nicked)
and we email him all the info
they had nicked mini osama, it seems that they had been given intel via a neighbour, but she had not spotted his cousin, 10 years younger and 5 stone smaller
so blew the chance of a good tug
Osama was spooked, as it was a case of cuckooing, and he was replaced by bad bad leroy brown, who brought a whole new Jivass style to the dealings, with a tidy stride and a much smarter dress sense
this time they arrived en masse
nabbed Leroy
and nabbed the druggie deliveroo as they turned up
we also caught some old gizzard in a wheelchair transporting drugs, turns out he could walk and run when the peelers went after him !!
We get lots of reports that go directly to intel-as opposed to it being logged and sent to response. If you report someone trying your car doors at 02:00 and you spot it on CCTV 2 days later etc.

If someone reports a drug deal and they say a blue Skoda VRN:AB07ABC was involved, that will get submitted to intel and, on our local systems, that registration will have an intel marker placed on it- with corresponding information.
First thing I check if someone reports something and has a car registration number is PNC and local systems to see what is known about it.

I dont know exactly what happens with the intel that is submitted, behind the scenes, I only know from a call-taker perspective. Perhaps the serving cops on here will know.

Regarding PNC- can't remember if Ive mentioned before but- I always used to envisage it as some super fancy computer program, as depicted in films where they show someone hacking something. Its front end actually looks like a very basic Commodore 64 type affair- no mouse clicking etc...purely keyboard and defined inputs.
It works though. Every interraction is audited though. To complete a 'transaction' /search I have to first enter my force ID number followed by my collar number. I cant just search for the car thats parked outside my house taking up my space etc-well I could but-Its audited and I could be asked to justify why I searched for that etc. Same with local systems also. I could quite easily check out all my neighbours and see whos a bit 'dodgy' etc. I wont though because-I need to have a real policing reason for searching something and it would be a job losing scenario were I to do something silly like that.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Change your wifi router name to "CID surveillance - drug dealing Case ZR42 end game"
There is a house I work in, and my mobile phones pings up GCHQ remote suervelliance or something like that as a wi fi address
oddly many of the neighbours work there, but its not them
its a chap who is a complete fruitcake and conspiraloon, would be fun if I was clever to send him a message

So what you are saying I that I should sell my flat, 3 minutes from the amenities of town and less than ten minutes from the beach, with all the stress that a house move entails - especially in a chain?

All because some scum have decided to use the neigbourhood as a drug den

Wouldn't it be more productive to get these people moved on?

Where I live is not a council estate or slum.

My flat and the flats I describe are not in a tower block like Grenfel,l like I think some of you are imagining. They are a 3 story block with ten flats, a mix of owners and renters. Although there have been some problem tenants over the years the majority are decent law abiding people.
The area is a mix of working class people and young professionals.

I don't think this is a terminal problem for the street. It might become one if no action is taken.
Yes I am saying just that ‘move’ gambling your mental and physical health, maybe even your clean record and general well being over an apartment is a ridiculous stance. Why risk making your live a misery over nothing whilst you rage against these characters you are simply pouring hot coals on your own head.
I find ny neighbors tedious they used to bother with a myriad of pointless complaints and general pointless interactions after a while they built a large fence on their property in addition to the existing fence so now I don’t see them at all.
You on the other hand seem incapable of tuning the other cheek

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
#Of all the CCTV footage that gets sent in-the ones with best footage leading to identification tend to come from the Amazon ring doorbell type ones.
One of them is proving handy in our case against one of our neighbours at the moment. Young black girl from upstairs ranting and raving at the wife a couple of months ago, all caught on the doorbell video, especially the racist abuse sent in our direction. She has been sent 4 invites to an interview and not turned up for any of them, Plod have now issued an arrest warrant, seems she's moved out of Mum's upstairs and they are looking for her. She just thinks that it's an interview without realising that there is damning video evidence that could/will lead to court and possible fuck up of any career she might want with a criminal record around her neck.

...there is damning video evidence that could/will lead to court and possible fuck up of any career she might want with a criminal record around her neck.

Hardly. I predict a sob story, lies and a light rap on the knuckles before she's sent on her way.

You, on the other hand, will likely suffer vandalism by persons unknown and other abuse in retribution.

Cynical? Moi...?

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
Its front end actually looks like a very basic Commodore 64 type affair- no mouse clicking etc...purely keyboard and defined inputs.
It works though.
Reminds me of the old Prison Service Inmate Information System, all blocky green text, black background and tab button to navigate. Interesting that some of these (mainframe?) type of systems are still going strong.

As an aside, am I right in thinking (if it's not too confidential) that the PNC only records indictable offences and not necessarily all convictions? One financial services company I worked for used to have to do a separate check on candidates to check if they had non-arrestable convictions (like that type of fare evasion stuff I mentioned on another thread).

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
One of them is proving handy in our case against one of our neighbours at the moment. Young black girl from upstairs ranting and raving at the wife a couple of months ago, all caught on the doorbell video, especially the racist abuse sent in our direction. She has been sent 4 invites to an interview and not turned up for any of them, Plod have now issued an arrest warrant, seems she's moved out of Mum's upstairs and they are looking for her. She just thinks that it's an interview without realising that there is damning video evidence that could/will lead to court and possible fuck up of any career she might want with a criminal record around her neck.
Sadly, some of these troublemakers exist on a treadmill of benefits, council accommodation and (at best) intermittent periods of low-level employment.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
We get lots of reports that go directly to intel-as opposed to it being logged and sent to response. If you report someone trying your car doors at 02:00 and you spot it on CCTV 2 days later etc.

If someone reports a drug deal and they say a blue Skoda VRN:AB07ABC was involved, that will get submitted to intel and, on our local systems, that registration will have an intel marker placed on it- with corresponding information.
First thing I check if someone reports something and has a car registration number is PNC and local systems to see what is known about it.

I dont know exactly what happens with the intel that is submitted, behind the scenes, I only know from a call-taker perspective. Perhaps the serving cops on here will know.

Regarding PNC- can't remember if Ive mentioned before but- I always used to envisage it as some super fancy computer program, as depicted in films where they show someone hacking something. Its front end actually looks like a very basic Commodore 64 type affair- no mouse clicking etc...purely keyboard and defined inputs.
It works though. Every interraction is audited though. To complete a 'transaction' /search I have to first enter my force ID number followed by my collar number. I cant just search for the car thats parked outside my house taking up my space etc-well I could but-Its audited and I could be asked to justify why I searched for that etc. Same with local systems also. I could quite easily check out all my neighbours and see whos a bit 'dodgy' etc. I wont though because-I need to have a real policing reason for searching something and it would be a job losing scenario were I to do something silly like that.
If responding to a job on the rare occurence of having a full vehicle description and VRN, the dispatcher will put out basic details if that vehicle has been flashed up before " This vehicle is known to CAD 4 times " .... anything interesting?...... " Vehicle was stopped 5 months ago and person arrested for PWITS " Then you get more detail, the driver, insurance, registered. Essentially the information is not immediate unless it has flashes on it for violence/drugs/weapons.....or you have a good dispatcher who is not rushed off their feet and knows what info you need or you mactually ask for it.

But if a vehicle is being reported a lot, then its gaining interest with the police. I would certainly put a stop in,and at least have a chat if I see a vehicle late at night in another part of London from where it was registered, near an area known for drugs or burglary that comes up as known to PNC. Or maybe just follow him around for a while and see.

Last edited:

Latest Threads