My flat is under siege by scum - what can I do?

I've spent much time over the last four years photographing drug addicts, pushers and prostitutes, up-close and very personal.

I know nearly all of them in my city in northern Italy. I can go places even the police are wary to go, and I have total freedom to photograph anything. A very small selection of those photos can be seen on my website link

In the time I've spent photographing them, I've seen them chase away the police a number of times (6 armed officers ran away from them on one occasion) and also several raids by the military (the armed soldiers ran away from them too).

Many of them live rough and haven't washed for years. They smell revolting, and many have lice. They sh1t on the grass right next to where they smoke or inject, so I can't see any of the above suggestions about using smelly substances working.

They don't seem to care about surveillance cameras, not even the official police cameras, and the police here, as I imagine in many other cities and countries have just given up trying. Even during Covid they don't use masks and they don't respect the curfew or any other regulations. They are a law unto themselves.

Stabbings here are frequent, which confirms advice given earlier in this thread, don't approach them. They will also threaten to stab with used syringe needles.

Tomorrow (Monday) I'll go and ask them if there is anything that would put them off frequenting an area. If I get any useful suggestions I'll come back and post them tomorrow evening.
Wow you can get lost in there! Some interesting and poignant stuff thanks

Have you thought of taking advice from an expert?

tony-martin-farmer-norfolk.jpg

He has a very pragmatic approach to things.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Ignoring the dumb posts on here that take away from the subject, do you have any links you could let us have or do you have time to list some recommendations from your time observing the need to increase home security ?
I did make a thread a few years ago in the Bikes/cars/afvs section about bike security and sheds etc

Motorcycle security advice.​

I there is a demand I could either expand it or create a new one where people could contribute sensible and legal advice and guidance for us all to look through and digest. Legal being the a main point as I wouldnt want anyone getting prosecuted for simply trying to protect themselves and loved ones.

I was thinking about chucking one of these up but it was going to take a bit of time due to my intention to do a practical guide on home, vehicle, gardens and scam alerts that you really need to drill into your elderly relatives as the bastards do target old people....plus while im thinking about it, I will probally add a section about what kids get targetted for as well.

Dial 999

Tell them that you are trans wo/man and somebody just called you a sissy. Complain that it is a hate crime.

That should get you an instant response.

Caltrops. Spend a day or two in a workshop sharpening and bending two inch lengths of hard wire, then weld together.

Probably able to seed an area from your balcony once you clock them or just wander through scattering as you go.

Like someone suggested before, Makrel oil sprayed all down the alley.

Also, do your jobbies in a bag and drop them covertly in the alley akin to the Great Escape, have flaps on the bottom of your trousers and voila.

Having an alley that stinks of fish, standing in shit in the dark and keep calling the police they'll move.

well observed trig!

You'd be surprised at the number of times you're dealing with a complaint which and the conversation goes:
'I've reported it to the police!'
' Excellent. Do you have a crime Ref so we can coordinate with the Police?'
'No they didn't give me one'

...and surprise surprise the NPT are oblivious.

SmilingKnight

Old-Salt
Any victory would be short lived against a multitude of criminal types and it’s more likely to be you with a criminal record so don’t waste your time simply find a new place to live where you can enjoy peace and quiet.
As your mother would say “their not worth it”

So what you are saying I that I should sell my flat, 3 minutes from the amenities of town and less than ten minutes from the beach, with all the stress that a house move entails - especially in a chain?

All because some scum have decided to use the neigbourhood as a drug den

Wouldn't it be more productive to get these people moved on?

Where I live is not a council estate or slum.

My flat and the flats I describe are not in a tower block like Grenfel,l like I think some of you are imagining. They are a 3 story block with ten flats, a mix of owners and renters. Although there have been some problem tenants over the years the majority are decent law abiding people.
The area is a mix of working class people and young professionals.

I don't think this is a terminal problem for the street. It might become one if no action is taken.

UPDATE FROM POST #170

This morning I spoke to about 20 users and dealers.

As I expected they found the situation highly amusing, and were unanimous in their thoughts that whatever you do will be taken as a challenge, and they'll just get worse, calling in reinforcements if necessary.

I suggested ideas like creating smells, putting up fences or gates etc., but they just confirmed what I have seen here for years, that it will make no difference. Fences get torn down, and gates get forced open or even removed.

They see any space they occupy as their territory, and will defend it enthusiastically.

Remember, for them any interference in their activities is a welcome distraction from boredom. It gives them something to do, and they enjoy it in a rather perverse way.

For the property owners infested with this problem it's a different matter; they quite rightly take it very seriously, and eventually it wears them down, and starts to affect their quality of life and their mental health.

Unfortunately drug addicts and dealers, and the crime and prostitution that goes to fund that lifestyle, is so widespread now that even if the authorites succeed in moving them on, they only move them to another space where they remain problematic. Unless the authorities banish them all to some lonely and inaccessable island, they will just continue to kick the can down the road.

Based on this morning's conversations with addicts and dealers, and four years of documenting the problem, my advice is just move house or just learn to ignore them. You're dealing with people who don't give a flying fück about you or the Law, and who won't get stressed about any problems you cause them. They simply self-medicate, and will start to treat you as a problem to be solved, and it will become a war of attrition that you will lose, because you'll get more and more fixated and stressed, and they won't.

Tomorrow (Monday) I'll go and ask them if there is anything that would put them off frequenting an area. If I get any useful suggestions I'll come back and post them tomorrow evening.
Sorting mental health and addiction issues, sorting health issues, getting some education, landing a job. All the dull usual crap the vast majority of the rest of us manage reasonably successfully....

I believe one not-to-be-advised solution is when it is very cold, make sure they are soaked with water.

As the weather is warming, the not-to-be-advised solution must therefore be, set them on fire.

I've spent much time over the last four years photographing drug addicts, pushers and prostitutes, up-close and very personal.

I know nearly all of them in my city in northern Italy. I can go places even the police are wary to go, and I have total freedom to photograph anything. A very small selection of those photos can be seen on my website link

In the time I've spent photographing them, I've seen them chase away the police a number of times (6 armed officers ran away from them on one occasion) and also several raids by the military (the armed soldiers ran away from them too).

Many of them live rough and haven't washed for years. They smell revolting, and many have lice. They sh1t on the grass right next to where they smoke or inject, so I can't see any of the above suggestions about using smelly substances working.

They don't seem to care about surveillance cameras, not even the official police cameras, and the police here, as I imagine in many other cities and countries have just given up trying. Even during Covid they don't use masks and they don't respect the curfew or any other regulations. They are a law unto themselves.

Stabbings here are frequent, which confirms advice given earlier in this thread, don't approach them. They will also threaten to stab with used syringe needles.

Some beautiful imagery on your website - Henri Cartier-Bresson would be proud of you.

Some beautiful imagery on your website - Henri Cartier-Bresson would be proud of you.
Thank you :)
There's a lot more on my faceache page, possibly around 300 + photos, if you're interested.
FB: PaulCrespelStreetPhotography