My flat is under siege by scum - what can I do?

SmilingKnight

Old-Salt
Hi Gentleman,

Thought I would post this here as there are actually some knowledgeable people on this board that might be able to provide some decent advice.

About six weeks ago I split from my GF and moved back into my own flat.

It was quickly noticeable to me that the environs surrounding the flat had completely declined since I had last lived there.

Firstly, we have an alley way that runs past the flats that runs from the street to a very large park area. I see people stood at the entrance of this alleyway daily - I have never seen drugs actually change hands but it is quite obvious what they are up to. This alley provides excellent routes in and out, including into a large park where they could easily lose any police attention.

The street itself is terribly lit and is quite intimidating during the hours of darkness. I asked the management company that manages our building why the lights weren't on at the entrance to the building.
They were quite surprised because apparently they had fixed the lights only a couple of months ago. It turns out someone has removed the lightbulbs. These lights help to illuminate the alleyway, and without them it is in total darkness. It is certainly a combat indicator of skullduggery going on.

On the other side of the building my flat overlooks a green that backs onto a bridge with a dual carriageway. The bushes at the back of this green are used nightly for drug taking and drug dealing by a group of between 6-12 people. At night time I can see torches and lighters being lit in the bushes constantly. My balcony overlooks all of this so I can sit watching their activities to my hearts content. They are on mobile phones often and often have very loud shouting matches. I imagine they are very intimidating to walk past.

The general ambience of the area screams 'shithole' now. At night there all sorts of unsavoury characters lurking, often in groups.

Because the area is next to the town centre it has always had its fair share of druggies and homeless passing through but this is something else.

I have made a report to the police via their website and although they acknowledged receiving it I haven't heard anything about it.

As much as I want to channel my inner Punisher and start shooting them with a crossbow from my balcony, what are my options?
Is there any way I can get the police to bother to do anything?

Yeah - move.

Unless you think there's going to be a gentrification effort any time soon, nothing will change.

endure

GCM
Are they within pissing distance? You could always give them a golden shower...

Simple answer re police is report everything, encourage neighbours to do the same, basically make nuisance of yourself to all, police, council landlord etc.

If you have the will/neighboursupport form some sort of residents action group, get the local press involved, highlight tge drug misuse etc.

Speaking as a retired police inspector when I had a section I had finite resources & had to manage those. Its a sad state of affairs but the ones who got my attention were the ones affecting my daily figures as that got the SMT on my back also where there was more than one individual reporting stuff that tells you as the local commander its not just one loon with a grievance. So a residents group is a good strategy.

Your local MP is also a good contact as they will go straight to the local police commander.

Same applies to other agencies looking in.

IME if you can get the ear of your local SNT Sgt or area inspector you're on a winner.

The main thing is be prepared for a long game & dont take no for an answer.

Alternativel, move

SmilingKnight

Old-Salt
Simple answer re police is report everything, encourage neighbours to do the same, basically make nuisance of yourself to all, police, council landlord etc.

If you have the will/neighboursupport form some sort of residents action group, get the local press involved, highlight tge drug misuse etc.

Speaking as a retired police inspector when I had a section I had finite resources & had to manage those. Its a sad state of affairs but the ones who got my attention were the ones affecting my daily figures as that got the SMT on my back also where there were more than one individual reporting stuff. Residents are good as they highlight an issue & tell you as the local commander its not just one loon with a grievance. Your local MP is also a good contact as they will go straight to the local police commander.

Same applies to other agencies looking in.

IME if you can get the ear of your local SNT Sgt or area inspector you're on a winner.

The main thing is be prepared for a long game & dont take no for an answer.

Very good advice thank you.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Complaint's on an individual basis to the police do not hold much sway unless it is of a serious nature and happening " right now ". Efectively your call will be logged and passed to the local communiities team and be graded for intel for drugs offences, it might be passed to a response team, but with their workload I doubt you will get anyone arrive.

Multiple complaint's from multiple people get more attention, but if the incident is not serious and has happened a while ago or by the time a team member can get there is likely to have finished, then your are not going to get a police visit.

Thinking or assuming that drug deals etc are happening is not evidential, its classed as heresay if unsubstantiated.....will not be enacted on.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
I used to heavily guide and hint to the people who used to come to me with these complaints, when I was on local duties to effectively work as a team and all put intelligent complaints in by describing how it was effecting their mental health with all the worry, their children and pets were at risk from the drugs debris and that they were utterly terrified of leaving the house at night.

Put these into the police and they will all be logged under the same tasking.

If no action is seen to be done, then you now need to be contacting your local MP and/or council with the same campaign and see if anything is done.....up to you if you want to do this one first actually.

When nothing has been achieved.....your local papers love stories like this, especially when the council and MP has proved to be ineffective.

Be polite, informative, understanding, but get your message across if how bad it is.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Safety point. I would not recommend leaning out of your window and taking photos or other obvious measures and I would request that police do not visit your location but you would be happy to meet them somewhere else due to the threats of intimidation.

Be careful discussing anything with the neighbours 'Loose lips get heads kicked in' you don't need a neighbour pointing you out as the grass.

Plan B
1614449183851.png

Put several cameras up with a flashing LED , even if they are dummy ones the hoods dont like them.

Latest Threads