My first scooter?

#1
I have reached the age where I'm now able to afford what I would like to have had when I was a teenager.

I'm looking at buying my first scooter and I'm open to pointers. I'm not going be a hard core rally rider but I'm looking for something that looks good and rides well (a scooter equivilant of Natalie Imbruglia :lol: ).

Cheers,

P-T
 
#2
My first scooter/moped in 1982. A 1981 Suzuki X1, mine was red. From standing in the rain waiting to catch the bus as a 15 year old to being able to go anywhere, anytime as a 16 year old (and in style) is surely the greatest step towards independence and manhood. Happy days.

What ever you buy make sure you enjoy it.

 
#3
I presume you mean scooter ( ie- vespa type thing ) ? Some of the originals now fetch stupid money £8 K + , however more modern copys and indeed vespa's are still available , if you mean moped then original FS1E's and AP50's are also stupid money.
Do a search on goggle or even try your local M cycle shop for advice , the Mods - Rockers thing is for most long over , its now the brotherhood of 2 wheels V 4 wheels , whatever you get enjoy , and heres to a proper summer :)
 
#6
Cheers for the input. Yes, it is a Vespa type thingy I'm looking at but not a ganz neuer one. Would love a retro/re-con but need pointers as to what to avoid.

P-T
 
#7
As Hedgehog said avoid Lambrettas, they`re overpriced and unreliable.To be honest for what the 2nd hand scoots go for I`d advise you to save a bit more and get a new LML. If you must go 2nd hand, get a PX125 (or 200 if you`ve passed your test) check the bodywork especially the underneath of the floorpan as any holes/corrosion means welding, check the controls to make sure all the cables aren`t seizing up. Pull the sidepanels off and have a look at the engine for leaks etc. Try and buy from a mature owner as they tend to look after them a bit better.
Hope this helps
 
#8
I used to ride scooters years ago. Used to ride crazy amount of miles to scooter rallies. I owned 3 vespas and a lambretta.
50 special, 150 super and a T5. Lambretta was an sx150.

Because of the emissions rules nearly all scoots will be 4-stroke or 2 stroke 125cc or less.

Not sure on the build quality of today's scoots. But when i owned them the build quality was awful. Went through lots of clutch cables and tyres.
Electrics were terrible too.

I nearly bought a PX125cc prefix D plate; the shop wanted a silly amount of money. It wasn't in very good nick; had no compression, paint work was dodgy, bits hanging off it. I offered a couple of hundred quid and the salesman looked offended. Said it was "classic". I walked away from the deal.
 
#9
This was my first moped I bought when I was 16 (1983).
Brings a lump in my throat thinking about the trips I made ,and all the hours maintaining it! Happy days !

 
#11
If it's purely scooter then my one and only was a Vespa Cosa 200 like below which I had briefly about 10 years ago. Quick little thing, 12bhp I think and good for about 70mph, noisy too especially when part of the exhaust fell off. Come to think of it a lot of bits fell off. Went through gear cables like a WRAC in the blokes block.

 
#12
Cloggie said:
This was my first moped I bought when I was 16 (1983).
Brings a lump in my throat thinking about the trips I made ,and all the hours maintaining it! Happy days !

Ohhh, the good old days, my era.... a Yammie 50, derestricted no doubt and good for 50+. It's such a nice looking bike..... I think I hear Human League.....
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#13
postman_twit said:
I have reached the age where I'm now able to afford what I would like to have had when I was a teenager.

I'm looking at buying my first scooter and I'm open to pointers. I'm not going be a hard core rally rider but I'm looking for something that looks good and rides well (a scooter equivilant of Natalie Imbruglia :lol: ).

Cheers,

P-T
So....let me get this right.

You're no longer a teenager. You've saved some cash. You actually want to buy a scooter???

Do you

a: commute into London, or any other busy city each day for work?

b: consider yourself a bit retarded?

c: not own a driving license?

d: live in a 3rd world country?

IF you can't answer yes to any of the above questions, then why would you want to own a scooter?

They're for young fukwits to zoom around and hopefully die on.
 
#14
PrinceAlbert said:
So....let me get this right.

You're no longer a teenager. You've saved some cash. You actually want to buy a scooter???

Do you

a: commute into London, or any other busy city each day for work?

b: consider yourself a bit retarded?

c: not own a driving license?

d: live in a 3rd world country?

IF you can't answer yes to any of the above questions, then why would you want to own a scooter?

They're for young fukwits to zoom around and hopefully die on.
Dad never give you much attention as a child? Forced you to sit up front of the family Allegro while all your mates laughed at you? They were zooming around on their 50's pulling girls and fingering them while you beat off to Mums Kays catalogue? It's never to late to change you know.
 
#15
PrinceAlbert said:
postman_twit said:
I have reached the age where I'm now able to afford what I would like to have had when I was a teenager.

I'm looking at buying my first scooter and I'm open to pointers. I'm not going be a hard core rally rider but I'm looking for something that looks good and rides well (a scooter equivilant of Natalie Imbruglia :lol: ).

Cheers,

P-T
So....let me get this right.

You're no longer a teenager. You've saved some cash. You actually want to buy a scooter???

Do you

a: commute into London, or any other busy city each day for work?

b: consider yourself a bit retarded?

c: not own a driving license?

d: live in a 3rd world country?

IF you can't answer yes to any of the above questions, then why would you want to own a scooter?

They're for young fukwits to zoom around and hopefully die on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: If you have to ask why, you will never understand the appeal.

P-T
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#16
Not at all. I had a Honda MT50. Not quite a scooter, but could access all areas, and great fun.

But I wouldn't want to buy one now!
 
#17
If I can add my tuppence worth. I currently own a 1965 Vespa Sportique a 1997 Vespa T5 and a 1962 Lambretta LI 150 Series 3. For looks go for the Lambretta everyday. Much more comfortable riding position as well. As for reliability, Lambrettas have a bad reputation, but what do you expect. They were designed as Italian shopping bikes for women to pootle around small Italian towns doing about 30 mph. If some big hairy arsed 15 stone bloke then decides to ride one, putting big bore kits, bigger carbs and racing cranks etc, laden them down with tents and baggage and then thrash them at 60-65 mph for 150 miles to a rally, what do you expect. I love my Lambretta and so far since a complete rebuild and and strip I have managed 1800 miles of carefree riding only breaking down once and that was because the spark plug died. Granted they need a little bit of TLC. What do you expect for a machine that is nearing 50 years old! As for prices, well it is the credit crunch, the SX model, the most sought after at the moment, last year was fetching £8000. You can pick them up now for about £4-5000. If I was you, first get involved with a local scooter club in your area, seek advice from them and then go and look. Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket. Don't be swayed to just buy Italian either, they will cost more, take a look at the Indian SIL, go for less money around £1200-1500.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts