my first mobile phone was shit

And its now in a museum

This is the Erikson housebrick I bought in 1994, to the amazement of everyone in the block, goggle eyed at the technology. 45 p a minute if I remember. Harsh but fair price for living in the future.

Features-none.

This was my first, pointless antenna, pointless flip and ugly as it could be.

mercury_zps8f239439.jpg

Free evening and weekend calls to landlines iirc.

image.jpeg

Motorola Tele Tac. The pinnacle of '90s analog technology. Had it for ages.

20-odd years ago I had a job that meant that I had to move around the town on a routine basis but needed to be on call for more urgent jobs. The solution was to issue me with one of the new-fangled and very expensive mobile phones, with equally very strict terms of usage.

The thing weighted a ton and was barely usable, but even so I still thought I was cooler than liquid helium and met admiring glances with a wry wink and a “catch you on the flip side” attitude. The fact that the thing was too big for anything but my trouser pocket, with an agreeable bulge, just added to my sense of being great.

Then, a month or two into my mildly refrigerated hero state, I found myself alongside my humourless and usually annoyed boss at the urinals. I looked straight ahead and tried to think of running water when, for the first time in over a month, the bloody phone went off in my trouser pocket, putting out a simple but melodious tune. The boss instantly turned towards me with a look of utter revulsion on his face and I heard my mouth say “doesn’t yours do that?”

I never did manage a pee and we never spoke about it again.

And its now in a museum

This is the Erikson housebrick I bought in 1994, to the amazement of everyone in the block, goggle eyed at the technology. 45 p a minute if I remember. Harsh but fair price for living in the future.

Features-none.

Only shit by today's standards.

Seems a bit better than the pager I had which told me to find a TK and phone a number.

Then, a month or two into my mildly refrigerated hero state, I found myself alongside my humourless and usually annoyed boss at the urinals. I looked straight ahead and tried to think of running water when, for the first time in over a month, the bloody phone went off in my trouser pocket, putting out a simple but melodious tune. The boss instantly turned towards me with a look of utter revulsion on his face and I heard my mouth say “doesn’t yours do that?”

I never did manage a pee and we never spoke about it again.
That's my first proper laugh in a week. Thank you.

Mitsubishi MT5 or something like that. Until I saw this one, all the other mobile phones I saw were £1200 jobbies and looked like a small briefcase with a shoulder strap and you carried them around over your shoulder. I bought it when I worked for a trade union because it made me easy to contact especially in an emergency.

I paid £500 for the phone. The line rental was something like £25 a month and calls were 50p per minute. It was a quality phone and came with a quite plush leather case with a meaty leather clad flat metal hook on it which you hooked over your belt for carrying purposes.

Bearing in mind those prices were back in the eighties, it wasn't cheap having a mobile phone. This phone would just about fit in your trouser pocket but if you did that, you seriously looked like you were really pleased to see whoever you met during the day so the belt carrying option was always favoured.

I live near Heathrow and went into a pub one night and there were a load of customs and excise blokes in there. They looked like they were just finishing work and were sat around a table with their pints of beer. Placed in the middle of the table was a solitary two way radio. occasionally, there would be a burst of noise from it and the guy in charge would pick it up, say a few words and put it back on the table.

I was stood at the bar and suddenly, there was this ringing sound coming from underneath my coat. All the customs and excise blokes seemed quite surprised and curiously looked over at me as I reached under my jacket, pulled out my phone and had a conversation with my missus about when I would be home for my tea.

Not often you get one up on a supposedly well equipped sophisticated government agency. :)

Last edited:
Mitsubishi MT5 or something like that. Until I saw this one, all the other mobile phones I saw were £1200 jobbies and looked like a small briefcase with a shoulder strap and you carried them around over your shoulder. I bought it when I worked for a trade union because it made me easy to contact especially in an emergency.

I paid £500 for the phone. The line rental was something like £25 a month and calls were 50p per minute. It was a quality phone and came with a quite plush leather case with a meaty leather clad flat metal hook on it which you hooked over your belt for carrying purposes.

Bearing in mind those prices were back in the eighties, it wasn't cheap having a mobile phone. This phone would just about fit in your trouser pocket but if you did that, you looked like you were really pleased to see whoever you met during the day so the belt carrying option was always favoured.

I live near Heathrow and went into a pub one night and there were a load of customs and excise blokes in there. They looked like they were just finishing work and were sat around a table with their pints of beer. Placed in the middle of the table was a solitary two way radio. occasionally, there would be a burst of noise from it and the guy in charge would pick it up, say a few words and put it back on the table.

I was stood at the bar and suddenly, there was this ringing sound coming from underneath my coat. All the customs and excise blokes seemed quite surprised and curiously looked over at me as I reached under my jacket, pulled out my phone and had a conversation with my missus about when I would be home for my tea.

Not often you get one up on a supposedly well equipped sophisticated government agency. :)
Looking important was always the best thing about early mobile phones.

Tiny little thing but did everything I needed at the time.

My first was a Motorola 7800 star tac.
The office I worked in frowned on personal calls, so I had the phone on vibrate.
At the time I worked with a very "friendly" young lady. One day the phone went off in my pocket, my colleague wondered how I knew it had rung as she hadn't heard it. I explained and she grabbed the phone placed it in her crotch and said "Ring me big boy!" followed by "Christ, thats coming home with me".
Now that's what I call a dirty phone call!

First mobile was a Phillips Diga in the 90's. Cost about £130 quid and was pay as you go - about 49p a minute. Apparently there was a huge scam where you could hold down a certain button and after that all calls were free. Everybody except me knew about it - I blame it on a lack in those days of something called the internet.
One of the problems was that, besides phoning a land line, most people didn't own a mobile so there weren't many people to text.
image.jpeg

I had one of those in red. All it did was make calls and text. At the time, that was perfect! Great little phone!
Me too. A black one and it was about the smallest available phone at the time. It had voice recognition too so you could tell it to call Fred or home etc. At the time it was great by virtue of being small.

Tiny little thing but did everything I needed at the time.
Not good if like me, your hands resemble a pound of sausages.

First mobile was a Phillips Diga in the 90's. Cost about £130 quid and was pay as you go - about 49p a minute. Apparently there was a huge scam where you could hold down a certain button and after that all calls were free. Everybody except me knew about it - I blame it on a lack in those days of something called the internet.
One of the problems was that, besides phoning a land line, most people didn't own a mobile so there weren't many people to text. View attachment 239440

I had one of those, same as a guy in my office, I set it to the same ring tone as his and hid it in his in tray, spent weeks watching him run from the meeting table across the office to his desk only to hang up. He would then proceed to call his wife, "hello luv did you call me, no? Strange"

He never worked it out. It was a sonar ring IIRC.

Never not funny to ring someone's mobile who's in the same conference as you.

I've just binned an Alcatel(cost £10)--no volume control--no camera--no f all.Used as phone book.
Still got 2 Samsung Clams and 2 Nokias.

1st one was Motorola monster.

Now moved on 20 years with Hawei----Need a degree to work it--------------Good though.

Fekin' ludite!

Still using same sim.

My first phone was a Nokia 1610. It was massive, could save 10 text messages. It wouldn't accept anymore unless you deleted some, but would last for days on a charge. It was an improvement on what some people used. I think it was the Rabbit phone system, which was very local. I remember seeing the Rabbit symbol on buildings like like Barclays Bank. God knows what happens if you walked away from the local vicinity.

RP.

image.jpg

9B406D5E84E61E8A9C690D1C6F0B4_h498_w598_m2.jpg
I bought this piece of shit back in 1999, i still shudder thinking of the ring tone going off when i banged a fat gripper married to a crab type !!

The Philips Savvy was the first phone of kings. This one is in the Science Museum...

140543_1.png

This topic brings back memories of time when I was 16 and my first proper girlfriend and I were pioneering what would later become knowing as sexting. (You are welcome.)

I was abed, exchanging messages and wanking away merrily in the early hours of the morning. Mid-masturbation I thought, 'Samantha is really taking her time to reply to that last text'. In that very moment the dead silence of night was broken by the braying ring of my parents landline. Shit! It can't be! She hasn't! Noooo! I remember thinking, 'Oh please let it be a nursing home reporting the death of a grandparent!' I jumped out of bed at the double, determined to get to the phone before a parent answered. I could hear them groggy from interrupted sleep and clearly worried at the lateness of the call. I lost time having to hide my permanent teenage erection with the belt of a dressing gown I had frantically sought for in the darkness. All the time my mother was advancing upon the objective. As i arrived on the scene panicked and stammering, I saw that all was lost. The ringing had ceased and my mother was holding the phone to her ear. Her face was set in horror, a male robotic voice reciting Samatha's filthy SMS aloud. But maybe all is going to be okay after all, as being drowsy she had only understood bits of the spoken SMS and somehow convinced herself it was a pervert hiding in the garden. Alas, defeat was clinched from the jaws of victory when I had to confess all to stop them telephoning the police.

Last edited: