My favourite bridge (I know, I know!)

Jeezus.

Wot a bunch of cnuts.

They might have to dig it out if they lose retrospective planning permission (probably unlikely).

It looks bleedin awful.

I assume the heritage railway would run underneath.

ETA: Acknowledgements to @TamH70 - posts crossed in the ether.
I’m sure it could, but are they going to pay for its upkeep indefinitely while they raise money to build it, do all of the planning etc.? Likewise all of the potential long distance trails etc.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of how they’re doing it, Highways England have been lumbered with the risk related to these structures, and have simply chosen the easiest and quickest solution.

Chef

LE
I’m sure it could, but are they going to pay for its upkeep indefinitely while they raise money to build it, do all of the planning etc.? Likewise all of the potential long distance trails etc.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of how they’re doing it, Highways England have been lumbered with the risk related to these structures, and have simply chosen the easiest and quickest solution.
They should privatise them and let the Trolls take them on.

Great Mesgrave Westmorland. Filled in with concrete by Highways to "make it safe".
Totally screwing plans for an 11 mile heritage railway.
Favorite because, crossed in most days. Straight on to Brough, KS and school.
Turn right, direct to KS, see pals, cinema etc.

Good thread revival! I saw some news about this. I think they're taking the easy option, younger engineers who don't know enough about brick and masonry to take a practical view. Computer says it's not up to scratch, so they do something that's hard to reverse, and sod the aesthetics of the concrete running everywhere.

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
Name this bridge ?
2019-07-18.jpg

Chef

LE
Marched over the top tier twice with the Légion
Late seventies, you could drive over on lower tier...
Almost as auld as jesus
Its where i live !
You jammy git living there!

Been there a couple of times when on holiday in Le Grau-du-Roi.

I read a book set in post war Indo China, possibly 'A dirty distant war' where some French officers from southern France are described as carrot crunchers by the northern types from their accent. Is that the case?

Kirkz

LE
Marched over the top tier twice with the Légion
Late seventies, you could drive over on lower tier...
Almost as auld as jesus
Its where i live !
You live under a bridge?
Are you a tramp or a troll?

Strange to say, but that is both beautiful and an abomination at the same time
Not a bridge, apologies for which, but I feel the same about North Kensington's Trellick Tower.
I had to point out recently on Nextdoor (hangout of nobbeds 'n weirdies) that it may be a fugly eyesore but it is our
62C065F3-104F-4056-A439-0D4752105DE3.jpeg
fugly eyesore.

Bridge over, bridge over, bridge over river?
The top one is actually an aqueduct which originally supplied water to a nearby city. The stacking was to get the desired height while keeping the stone structure stable. They needed the height to carry the water across the valley along a gradual gradient.

Its not even a, good and workman like job. Looks like something dumped by gippos from Brough Hill.
We'll see if you look any better when you're 2000 years old.

D

Deleted 4482

I’ve never posted on a what’s your favorite bridge thread before and, being in bed now I probably ought not to but…

Theres a box to be ticked here.

I've a feeling that I've posted this before but now many more people will be seeing the bridge in the corner of their screen when watching the Olympic rowing events
It's the Tokyo Gate Bridge. it crosses an inlet in Tokyo Bay and, if I remember correctly it is a type known as a double cantilever.

TokyoGateBridge.png

Latest Threads