My favourite bridge (I know, I know!)

Dorman Long bowstrings. When Made in England meant something big. Can’t find a picture of the one in Zimbabwe, so this one will have to do. I used to run over it every morning.
ADBEF48E-DF03-4915-8418-5C2D8E4D1D85.jpeg

Dorman Long bowstrings. When Made in England meant something big. Can’t find a picture of the one in Zimbabwe, so this one will have to do. I used to run over it every morning.
View attachment 339469
I was offered the chance to walk above it a couple of years as a 60th birthday treat from my missus. but when I actually got there and saw the height (and realised there was a few hours of training involved), I declined and ended up walking across instead! Awesome views.

I was offered the chance to walk above it a couple of years as a 60th birthday treat from my missus. but when I actually got there and saw the height (and realised there was a few hours of training involved), I declined and ended up walking across instead! Awesome views.
Back in the day before H&S took over, rooting your sheila on the top of the bowstring was allegedly a right of passage.

Come to think of it, in this PC world, what’s a sheila?

I think this was mentioned up the thread.

Isn’t that picture a trick of perspective?
No. I've been over that fcuker too, and it feels like you're on a rollercoaster going up. Don't like it at all.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I like a good bridge.

The Millau Viaduct is pretty special but this is my favourite as I was born in the city.

Before the days of Employees rights; When after a quick inspection during the construction of the Suspension Bridge, Brunel then returned to his office in Bristol and wrote to his assistant architect. ' I note there are several inferior bricks used in one of the piers. Sack the foreman immediately!'

This one?
Birchenough Bridge - Wikipedia

Victoria Falls Bridge is a different design, but also impressive
That’s the one; somewhere around I’ve got some photos taken by a young Bob serving with the BATT in Zimbabwe in the 80s.

It’s a very elegant thing. Most Dorman Long bridges are big, heavy structures with a sense of immenseness to the steelwork. Up close, Sydney is massive. Newcastle too. That one in Zim is a structural engineers dream; lightweight and minimalist.