My favourite bridge (I know, I know!)

I have always liked Tamar bridge.

View attachment 326551
Here it is finished
B6439C67-4C95-4891-858C-648B14497D0A.jpeg

I don’t seem to be able to find a picture of the bridge after it’s modifications about fifteen years ago.

The Tamar Bridge is a fairly dull bridge but I have always liked the Royal Albert Bridge next to it.
77D9DA12-E208-438D-A007-C8017682C481.jpeg

Old Izzy was never shy about bigging himself up, was he.

They were doing walks along the track bed two or three years ago. Missed it unfortunately.

The American Society Of Civil Engineers reckons there are over 58,000 defective bridges in the US.

However, they usually last more than a week.
If I was cynical I would expect that this could be due to an attempt to create more work for engineers but I am sure that the engineers are ethical and would not do something like that just for the jobs.

Of course the Ironworkers union has been saying the same thing and ...erm...oh wait...

If I was cynical I would expect that this could be due to an attempt to create more work for engineers but I am sure that the engineers are ethical and would not do something like that just for the jobs...
ISTR there was a fatal collapse of a US highway bridge about 15 years ago, which showed up a massive maintenance backlog, Government cuts etc,.

If I was cynical I would expect that this could be due to an attempt to create more work for engineers but I am sure that the engineers are ethical and would not do something like that just for the jobs.

Of course the Ironworkers union has been saying the same thing and ...erm...oh wait...
That is a possible interpretation David. I thought it but decided that an organisation of qualified professionals wouldn’t be that brazen (maybe I’m getting less cynical in my dotage). If an aviation engineer tells a pilot that his aircraft has a dangerous, potentially fatal, fault is he drumming up work or giving a professional warning?

Anyway. Here are some of the worst bridge collapses in the US:

Deadliest bridge collapses in the US in the last 50 years - CNN

On a lighter note there is a new exhibition of Brunel’s work (Being Brunel) in Bristol opening today. Might be of interest to a pontist, pontophile or gephyrophile.

The engineering giant with 'short man syndrome'

Selby Toll bridge is refurbished. I can hear the planks going 'rattle, rattle now, one pic a BailyBridge came in to play: Baily Bridge was scary (comment)
Bridge repair.jpg
Rebuilding.jpg