My favourite bridge (I know, I know!)

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good thread, but please say something about the bridges when posting. Ta.

I found this about the millenium bridge in Gateshead, otherwise know as the blinking eye bridge, for obvious reasons.

The Falkirk Wheel is quite unique too:

I'm deliberately going to say nothing about this one EB- she's a bit special and the only one left in existence anywhere, of interest to our RE....
image.jpg

Selby Toll Bridge C1955, just as i left school. I crossed it hundreds of time on my telegram bike.

Near the garage on the Selby side there was a chip shop known as 'Mucky Mary's'.

It was said that at one time it turned/opened running on old cannon balls, like ball bearings. (one man fixing a huge wheel could open it)

selby-the-old-toll-bridge-c1955_s90034.jpg

Last edited:
@TheHatsRevenge Let's not forget the Newport Bridge in Middlesbrough.

I saw it go up some time in the 70's - it must have been one of the last times it was raised. Seeing all that hardware (the whole bridge between the two towers for those not familiar with it) suddenly start rising was bloody impressive.

Found a video of the very last time it went up:

aye and all built by local tradesmen with locally produced steel....sadly that will never happen again

Sappers refer to an exercise where you build lots of bridges one after the other as a 'bridge gallop'. So in the best traditions of ARRSE, presumably anything else but...:)
Always amazed me at the speed that RE ( but mainly 9 Sqn ) managed to span whatever was needed - across water / a BIG drop /
in fact anything - great bunch of blokes - but mad as Hatters !!:D

This is an old Bailey Bridge on the edge of West Drayton crossing the river Pinn I believe.

The estate it leads to is a mixture of industrial yards ranging from scrapyards to a large woodyard and several other industrial units. There are some residential properties mixed in around the place as well but it's mainly industrial. It's one of those places where it was mainly wasteland and after WW2, people just started basically squatting and starting up businesses on it which have after time prospered and the place has become more mainstream.

The bridge has been there probably since just after the war, certainly as long as I can remember and I've just turned 60 years of age. The first major business set up down there was a car scrapyard owned by a bloke called Roy O'Dell and it was most likely him who had the bridge put into place. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually did the work himself.

Roy's been dead for 6 or 7 years now but he became very successful and the business is still going strong.

I grabbed these shots off of Google maps so that's why the road name is on them.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
This is an old Bailey Bridge on the edge of West Drayton crossing the river Pinn I believe.

The estate it leads to is a mixture of industrial yards ranging from scrapyards to a large woodyard and several other industrial units. There are some residential properties mixed in around the place as well but it's mainly industrial. It's one of those places where it was mainly wasteland and after WW2, people just started basically squatting and starting up businesses on it which have after time prospered and the place has become more mainstream.

The bridge has been there probably since just after the war, certainly as long as I can remember and I've just turned 60 years of age. The first major business set up down there was a car scrapyard owned by a bloke called Roy O'Dell and it was most likely him who had the bridge put into place. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually did the work himself.

Roy's been dead for 6 or 7 years now but he became very successful and the business is still going strong.

I grabbed these shots off of Google maps so that's why the road name is on them.
Mine pre-dates the Bailey....

Sappers refer to an exercise where you build lots of bridges one after the other as a 'bridge gallop'. So in the best traditions of ARRSE, presumably anything else but...:)
Each individual assemblage is (or was) simply called a "build".

Always amazed me at the speed that RE ( but mainly 9 Sqn ) managed to span whatever was needed - across water / a BIG drop /
in fact anything - great bunch of blokes - but mad as Hatters !!:D
ISWYDT ;)

Christ you wibble on some.
Is short and concise a mystery to you.

The bridge from San Diego over to Coronado. It puts the sh1ts up me every single time I drive over it, dunno why, it just does.

Marvellous piece of engineering, built tall enough to allow US Navy war canoes to drive under it.

Ah, the Barton aquaduct and swing bridge. I remember watching the Fire Brigade hosing it down one summer as a kid after it expanded and jammed in the heat. It was just down the road from my nana's.
are you still local stumpy?peel are building a new bridge alongside the davyhulme motorway one,first time it lifts up i think theres going to be a massive shunt on the motorway bridge.

My Maryland bridge :)

20160512_160826-1-320x250.jpg

Last edited:

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
are you still local stumpy?peel are building a new bridge alongside the davyhulme motorway one,first time it lifts up i think theres going to be a massive shunt on the motorway bridge.
No, I've moved to Birmingham on a cultural mission to bring some civilisation and culture to the Midlands. They are a stubborn load of buggers because I've been down here since 1994 and nothing much has changed.
I used to live in Irlam before I joined the RE, and still have my mum and dad and the rest of the family up there, but my nana used to live on Cawdor Street by the Barton swing bridge and I could see it from her flat.
It always used to remind me a little of the bridge at Arnhem.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Favourite bridge? The Bailey...that masterpiece of British engineering that is the envy of the civilised world.

End of thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See below for a short film concerning Mr Bailey ... as he was then ...

... leather jerkins were definitely de rigeur at the time .

Edited to add ... I see he was awarded OBE 1943 and rightly Knighted in 1946 for his development of the Bailey Bridge .

Last edited:
I love the Ribblehead Viaduct. Used to spend a lot of time in the area, and have watched steam trains crossing it from most of the surrounding peaks :-D May also have had one or two pints in the adjacent pub (Station Inn?)...

ribblehead_1400pxl.jpg

years back did jury service with a old boy that lived right on the banks of the ship canal,recalling the dozens of ships that sailed past cannot recall getting stuck waiting for one to get past the swing bridge for years

I love the Ribblehead Viaduct. Used to spend a lot of time in the area, and have watched steam trains crossing it from most of the surrounding peaks :-D May also have had one or two pints in the adjacent pub (Station Inn?)...

View attachment 244411
When I was at BR 20 years ago I helped to relay the track across the Ribblehead viaduct :)