My Father

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Nov 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would just like to thank all those who had heard of my father's death , and sent a message of condolence.

Actually, I was truly overwhelmed, by the number of messages of support and condolence, and will be replying to each of you as I can.

My father passed away as he lived, with the absolute minimum of fuss. He simply got on with it, as was always his way.

At one point, after my family had been told he was going rapidly , my father appeared to dig in , and rally hard. Unfortunately, at the age of 80 , his body couldn't keep it up, but he gave it a damn good go. He didn't suffer at the end, he simply stopped snoring with one breath , and passed on the exhale.

My sister and I were talking about this, and ironically we both said his favourite saying whenever things got tough "A Mick never gives up"

He meant being Irish Guards, not being Irish. He didn't give up, his body did.

I'd like to write about him at length later, right now, we're just trying to get through.

My father never received any medals for gallantry , no special honours, in spite of the fact he fought from Goodwood to the liberation of Belsen with the Irish Guards. Looking back through his papers and documents, his sole reward was the be forwarded for a commission , with the words "Exemplary" in the Military conduct entry of his paybook.

But to Dad, just being in the Irish Guards in war, as he used to say ,was more than any man has a right to wish for.

We are scattering his ashes in various locations in the coming months , one of the locations he wanted, was Holland , as he wished to be with his mates that never came home from the dash for the Bridges.

Once again, thank you all, for the many , many messages of support I and my family have received.

2. Sorry to hear of his passing PTP. My thoughts are with you and yours.
  3. Heartfelt condolences to you and yours.

My father, a WWII vet, passed on at about the same age.
  4. God bless you and your family PTP.
  5. My thoughts are with you and yours PTP.
  6. My thoughts are with you and yours PTP xxx
  7. God bless you and yours, my grandfather (ex royal artillery and para) passed away whilst I was on telic 2, same as your father, dignified and strong till the end,an exceptional generation of people.
  8. Condolences, PTP.
  10. Very moving words PTP. This is the first I have heard of your loss and I want to express my condolences to you and yours on the loss of your father. While words are so inadequate I think a poem might be of some comfort during your time of mourning.

Come to Me

God saw you were getting tired,
    and a cure was not to be.
    So he put his arms around you.
    and whispered "Come to Me."

Although we love you dearly,
    We could not make you stay.
    With tearful eyes we watched you
    As you slowly passed away.

A Golden heart stopped beating.
    Hard working hands at rest.
    God broke our hearts to prove to us.
    He only takes the Best.
  11. So terribly sorry. Sounds like a great man.. My thoughts go to you and yours in this difficult time.
  12. Belated condolences,
    'He stands tall alongside those who also stand tall'
  13. Sorry to hear of his passing . My thoughts are with you and your family
  14. My thoughts are with you and yours PTP.

Edited to add:

Hope you don't mind PTP but the words below helped when we lost our Mum a few years ago. It was an ex-military Chaplain who carried out the service and suggested it.

Miss Me - But Let Me Go

Miss me - but let me go
    When I come to the end of the road
    and the sun has set for me
    I want no rites in a gloom filled room
    Why cry for a soul set free.

Miss me a little - but not too long
    and not with your head bowed low
    remember the love we once shared
    Miss Me But Let Me Go

For this is a journey that we all must take
    and each must go alone