My Father the Mercenary

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Smiler_1985, Jun 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watching the documentary now. Interesting actually but the walting plonker really is a sad lil fella. Any1 else watching?

2. Yes, watched this on Channel 4..... The geezers daughter was none too impressed about her Dad. After searching the Walts belongings, it showed a business card claiming to have a QGM and MM. A real fantasist.

What motivates these people to live like this.... Not a good idea especially when serving armed froces are fighting and dying in various places. But apparently there were just as many Walts after WW2 'claiming' to have served as well, so its not a new phenomena..

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Ahhh bulloxs! Fecking Sky+ deleted the bookmark again!

4. What puzzles me is why he had to lie about being in the SAS when in fact he was fighting alongside the Mujahideen in Afghanistan ? Mind you I guess the letters SAS is a brand name that'll open doors for you if you've got a manuscript that needs publishing

5. It will be repeated :
    When's My Father The Mercenary coming up?
    more4 July 10th at 8:30pm
    more4 Plus 1 July 10th at 9:30pm

6. Aye. After ww1/2 i suspect it was very very easy to pretend to have 'served well' so many people returning anbd being demobbed having been sent all over the globe. Now, numbers are smaller and theres communities like ARRSe increasing the chance of bein caught out. I do feel sorry for the guy when they showed the place he died and how he was living

7. I felt it was a bit out of order to put his ashes in the proper SAS plot.

8. Yeah that was a bit improper aye. I think the guy deserved a decent burial of his ashes or somethin but not there.Kind of a tragic character he was. I remember reading a book about mercenaries in Guiana (or however its spelt) and the guy who wrote it came accross sessarego/carew/obi wan kenobi at one point and calls him a walt lol

9. Maybe there was a good enough reason to do that. I'm sure that if the SAS had objected it wouldn't have happened.

10. tis guy was living in dreamworld,seemed like a madman to me

11. The interesting part was when they said 'he seemed to become mnore and more believing of the lies he was telling' or somesuch. He prettymuch believed what he was saying to be true. Needed serious help alas

12. He ain't in the Regimental Plot

St Martins Church is a civvie church with a civvie graveyard and that is where his ashes are.

It was misleading to show the window and for the family to have a looky like floral tribute.
    In their own way they continue to muddy the water.

13. Watched this last night bit a tragic figure really. What I can't understand is why he felt ashamed at failing the SAS twice his superiors must have thought him worthy of selection, or am I missing something here. He did fight as a mercenary so what did he have to prove it didn't mention which regiment he served with ?

On lighter note.. I took a fancy to his daughter

14. Yeah Daughter wasnt bad. Aye was vague about what service he actually did with the forces. But all in all he was a tragic shame

15. I heard he was on the SAS payroll in a non badged admin capacity for sometime, more of a "nearly was" than a "never was"..... it would certainly explain why he was plausible , he did know the colour of the boathouse door!