My car shows as untaxed on the Gov site but I have a valid disc!

Recently bought a car off a dealer on 7th Oct , it came with a tax disc valid til end of Jan `15 , I just checked my vehicles and found this one shows as untaxed ! https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

I know the system has changed recently , any ideas ?

Yea, IIRC the tax automatically gets cancelled and refunded to the previous owner/keeper. You, as the new keeper then have to apply for a new one. Now get this, from the start of the month, they won't give part months to either you or the previous. The feckers are racking it in and you're fecked unless you buy it. OBviously.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
October.

Blogg

LE
That is a shitty.

If you buy a second-hand car after 1 October, tax disc can no longer be transferred. So you need to tax the car before you can use it and dealer/vendor should properly remove the disc to indicate that.

But since the disc no longer needs to be sent in to claim the refund guess what?

elovabloke

ADC
Hope your not driving it as your insurance will also be invalid. Vehicle could be seized.

That's right. Worse case scenario.
As of 1st Oct even if you have a disc in the car you can throw it away. DVLA will get loads of extra cash and there will be a huge amount more tax dodging and fraud going on. There is no visual way of seeing if a car is taxed.

Hope your not driving it as your insurance will also be invalid. Vehicle could be seized.

The insurance companies must have pissed their pants with joy over this one. Until people get the message they stand to save a fortune in "we're not paying out" scenarios.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Was the car sold with 'taxed till Jan 2015'? If so, looks like the dealer was not up to speed with the new system. Ergo, see him and get a refund for the 5 months tax you were sold.

elovabloke

ADC
Changes were well advertised. Best way to keep a secret, chuck it out to the media.

Car dealer could have been a little bit more helpful in setting you straight.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Private sale?

That's right. Worse case scenario.
As of 1st Oct even if you have a disc in the car you can throw it away. DVLA will get loads of extra cash and there will be a huge amount more tax dodging and fraud going on. There is no visual way of seeing if a car is taxed.

I think with the proliferation of ANPR both by police and private companies, driving an untaxed vehicle is not really an option nowadays although it does take away some of a parking wardens duties. I think Hexitele hit it on head as well with insurence companies using it as a get out clause. As with any new scheme theres going to be a lot of teething problems and upset motorists.

the system is a bit odd.
I've just bought a cheap runabout which has a tax disc that shows it runs until the end of Nov 2014.
Now, I was aware of the change and have been on the DVLA tax check, which shows that my car IS taxed.
I'm guessing it will change when the last owner sends the V5C in, but in the meantime I check it every morning and keep driving

Was the car sold with 'taxed till Jan 2015'? If so, looks like the dealer was not up to speed with the new system. Ergo, see him and get a refund for the 5 months tax you were sold.

Correct , I`ll chase him for it.

elovabloke

ADC
the system is a bit odd.
I've just bought a cheap runabout which has a tax disc that shows it runs until the end of Nov 2014.
Now, I was aware of the change and have been on the DVLA tax check, which shows that my car IS taxed.
I'm guessing it will change when the last owner sends the V5C in, but in the meantime I check it every morning and keep driving
Not a wise move IMHO

Latest Threads