"My Boy Jack" ITV Sunday 11th November

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Henry_Tombs, Nov 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am I alone in having watched this?

I thought Radcliffe made the transition from Harry what's his name; to a young serious actor who played the part of Jack well, David Haig came over as Rudyard Kipling also in a very believable manner.

My only gripe was that it would have been nice to have seen a clip of the now identified Commonwealth War Grave of Jack Kilpling at the end of the programme.
  2. Have got it on Sky+ to watch later this week, the trailers certainly looked very good.
  3. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Me too...
  4. So they found him in the end. Was he identified before Kipling's death?

It was a very moving programme and I for one found it very poignant.

At School we studied war poetry and while Sassoon is possibly my favourite war poet, Kiplings' two line verse, Common Form, always made me pause.

Common Form
    If any question why we died
    Tell them because our fathers lied

Somehow in two lines he put his grief, his guilt, and the overwhelming sadness of a nation so succintly that it always moves me.

Out of interest did anyone see 'My Boy Jack' as a play?

Is it me or does this echo today, especially Bliar:

A Dead Statesman, R Kipling (1924)
    I could not dig; I dare not rob;
    Therefore I lied to please the mob.
    Now all my lies are proved untrue
    And I must face the men I slew.
    What tale shall serve me here among
    Mine young and defrauded young.
  5. I saw it and thought it was very good. No gripes.
  6. My bold I believe recent investigations have hinted that the grave they identified as his is in fact that of another.

As for the programme I thought it was brilliant and Radcliffe was unrecognisible
  7. Anon1,
    I believe his grave was only identified a couple of years ago with some fresh research as to who died on what day ect.

Perhaps somebody else can enlarge on this?

8. Thanks Rusty, I had not seen that report, makes it all a little more sad.
  9. I too watched it last night and found it very good indeed. I have no gripes as I knew very little of the story before hand.
  10. I watched it. I thought it was excellent.

I particularly liked the way they portrayed the relationship between Rudyard Kipling and his wife, Carrie. She was played by an almost unrecognisable Kim Cattarall (Sex and the City) and she was just great. She didn't blame Rudyard for his exhaustive persistent at Jack joining up and 'doing his bit' and the last shot of them in bed, after eventually finding out that Jack was dead, was very moving.

The war scenes made me think how awful it must have been and no matter how much I try, I cannot begin to think what the soldiers went through in the trenches with the smell of death and dying around them, the mud, the rain, the noise. The shots of the trenches were very well done.

Glad I caught it.
  11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

12. This film was really heart breaking to watch ,My great uncle was in the first world war and died at age 19 .
  13. Excellent programme. the grave is still in dispute and with those around refusing DNA testing it will probably never be fully resolved. Rudyard Kipling's relationship with his wife understandably when downhill after the death of their first daughter, then John but from all accounts it was his wife's brother he was in love with until he died of typhoid.
  14. I thought that it was excellent. The casting was brilliant.