My boss doesnt want a party

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mr Happy, Sep 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Need some marketing genius to help me win an argument. Or clever comments...

My ski club asked its membership to vote for or against having an end of season ball next year. They received 82 votes - 53 Yes, 29 no. The Yes's required were 150 to have it organised so it looks like no party for cinderella....

We've had two parties in the last three years which brought about 150 and 180 out of the 700 members to each.

My issues with this are:

1. The season doesn't start until October and are membership is in hibernation (e.g. skiing is not on their minds).
    2. Each season we start with about 300 members and complete the season with 700 members so a fraction of the final membership on party date is eligible to vote now.
    3. The ball would not be until end of April and that is 9 months away
    4. 50% of the ball attendee's are not members of the club (e.g. ski widows, other family, friends, friends of friends etc)
    5. No details have been decided upon for the ball so nobody knows what they'd be voting for… cost etc.
    6. Members were emailed and given two weeks to respond.

My view is that you take 53 Yeses out of 300, double your result to recognise the 700 members at end of season (call it 106). Double it again because 50% of attendee's are not club members (212) and thats enough Yes's to make it a success. Thats without marketing it through the season, inviting corporate sponsers and all the other gubbins.

Now, in theory that would be an open and closed argument - add to this that we've successfully held two balls before and we're in the clear or so you would think… Except the that the club president (call him Comrade Bob) wanted 150 yeses from the get-go which we've missed by a mile.

My question: Is there a recognised method for extrapolating 53 Yes's vs 28 nos and 220 nil responses into the number of attendee's for the end of season party? Something from a marketing or research side that somebody may know?

Or alternately, is there a reasonable plan that someone can offer.

Mr HD
  2. Hang on, he wanted 150 yes's from 81 attendee's
    that's just mathamatical bollox
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

He wanted 150 yeses from 300 members at this stage in the season. 81 responses is what he got (e.g. 53 yes's and 28 no's)
  4. 53 / 81 x 300 = 196 yeses if all 300 members had responded in the same proportions as the yeses and no's as the 81 who did respond ... I think ??
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

You're correct but then if you include the non responses as people that couldn't be bothered to (A) answer and (B) go then the percentage doesn't get any better...