My back garden, boxing day 2009

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by crabby, Dec 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Below are photos taken by my wife and I on boxing day morning - looking out in to our back garden. Taking bids on those would like to come and visit...

Attached Files:

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whitetail Does Crabby? A very nice deer, ever year when the father in law was still alive my xmas pressie consisted of that years Whitetail Deer annual. Serious study and money spent on that side of the pond over these, Blacktails and Mule deer. We did find a farm with an almost resident herd in the garden but it just didnt make financial sense!
  3. Yep. Also saw another two whitetail does walk across our street today while out shovelling 18 inches of snow from our driveway. Bold as brass and much bigger than the two in those photos.

The hunting season is huge here and with the expansion of the suburbs most of the deer seem to be keeping themselves safe from the hunters by living in our back gardens! (then again we have an acre and a half of woodland with a few acres behind that protected from development). We don't have mule deer here, as too far East, but there are a few blacktails I think.
  4. You don't have to leave the UK to get deer in the back garden. We regularly get Reds and the occaisional Roe on our track. One evening we returned from the pub to find 12 Red actually in the farm-yard. ..... not got any photos tho.....and they would have been blurred :D
  5. I think I was wrong with my last post - seems we only get white-tailed deer here - the mule and black-tailed are further west.
  6. and then he shot it twixt the eyes and roasted it with some tasty parsnips .
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I do like stalking in the snow, I also like summer stalking for Roe Bucks in shorts and T shirt. Our seasons are the best in the world after NZ, you can with very little travelling shoot 7 days a week 52 weeks a year should your pocket stand the strain!
  8. We had a muntjak in the garden on Christmas Day. The dog went demented and I nearly let him out of the high fenced section to say "Hello". However I didn't want to spend christmas Day scouring South glos for him, so sadly contented myself with imagining muntjak steaks roasting on an open fire!

He did have a lovely run after a Roebuck on Boxing day though...strangely enough he came when I called him!
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I wouldnt set a dog on a Munjac in any condition and if tracking a wounded one it would be on the end of a short lead, rifle at the ready!
    They are nasty cantankerous b@stards I can only equate them to an Infantry QM about to be audited!
  10. I thought the heart was the target of choice?
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As long as its not a texas heart shot, I'll be happy!