My AOSB Briefing Advice/Tips etc...

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Arrse and know that there are plenty of AOSB Briefing Advice/Tips pages already up from people who have passed this stage of AOSB.

However, I understand that everyone has different experiences of the AOSB and I am hoping that I can be of help to anyone preparing for the Briefing.

I just received a Cat 1 and am hoping to complete my Main Board around November time.

As with many candidates, I was absolutely bricking it on the train down to Leighton House, so hopefully I can give some useful advice/tips.

If anyone has any questions they would like to ask, then fire away :)

Thanks

I can see some bans coming!!

cpunk

LE
Seriously, the staff at Westbury are surprised by how many candidates turn up unshaven, unpolished and inappropriately dressed for what is, after all, a job interview. If you turn up at Aldi for an interview to be a shelf-stacker looking like a bag of shite they'd be unimpressed, so it's worth considering when you present yourself at AOSB as a potential future CGS.

Pig1goat

Swinger
Hi all, passed my main board a month or so ago, so if anyone has any serious questions about their main board, do ask here, but please read this simple advice first:

1) Go and get fit. The one thing you can prepare for and a fifth of people on my main board failed it. What a joke. Do 44 pressups and 50 situps every day for a couple of weeks beforehand, you want to be able to nail it, it'll give you more confidence as you go on. People told me they were bad at the bleep test. Again, there's a free app and I'm sure you all have access to a tape measure, no excuses. If you can't do this it shows a real lack of effort and prep.

2) Be yourself. Don't try and answer the personality test how you think they want you to. That's exactly what I did, I then got into my education interview, and he said "You're test tells me you'd really struggle to work as part of a team". Luckily I work as part of a team every day at work so he was satisfied, but learn from my mistake and be as open as you can, there really is no right or wrong. This also applies in everything you do, both with the staff observing you and the guys and girls in your group. Within four days they'll all be able to see through you because excluding having a dump, you do everything together, so be yourself, be honest and open.

3) Chill out & enjoy yourself. Possibly the hardest. I know, easier said that done was what I thought when I heard this advice as I was anxious and stressing myself in the weeks prior to my main board. All this bloody time on the application and it comes down to this week. Yeah, true, but if you come accross as relaxed and have a smile on your face, your group is going to instantly warm to you, and they may look to you as a natural leader, which will come across to the directing staff. When interviewing you, they want the bloke (or lady of course) that seems relaxed and approachable. Someone that has big potential as part of or in charge of a team.

4) It isn't random that your put in a team of eight. They want to see how you work within that team, if you're a helpful, integral part or just an arse. It's so true that you pass or fail as a team, because you'll make yourselves look awesome, or rubbish. Help each other whenever you can, encourage each other, offer advice. Smash the races together and take advantage of people strengths. I had a fella who was 7ft4 (seriously) so if someone needs to go over a wall or have something passed over a gap...

5) They'll tell you not to worry about each individual part and just start the next with fresh purpose and a clear head, and they are totally right. I was the only one to completely and utterly fail the individual command tasks, so it was easy waiting for my letter because I already thought I'd failed. Seriously, even if everyone died on your plan ex and N Korea now rules the world, don't worry, forget it, go into the grilling with a cool head and when he asks you about your plan, say you had a poor plan or that you'd like to refer to the group plan, it's a chance to prove that even when your knee deep in doggy doo, you're still calm and thinking logically. They are looking for potential, not a finished article. Throw everything you have into each task your given. Make it look like you'd give your left testicle for a chance at Sandhurst.

You CAN do it, because I bloody did it, if you've got less than a couple of weeks until your main board, stop wasting your time on forums looking for advice. Calm yourself, go for a run, read some current affairs and get ready to give everything you have in the 4 days they have to look at you.

Any questions, fire away. I will do my best to help.

Rex mundi

Swinger
Hi all, passed my main board a month or so ago, so if anyone has any serious questions about their main board, do ask here, but please read this simple advice first:
Firstly, thanks for sharing your experience.

I know you said you'd answer any questions about main board so I hope you don't mind but didn't see the point in making a new thread just to ask these two questions about Briefing.

Ive been having a read around and couldn't find a reliable answer, is the Memory and Attention test in Briefing & Main Board or just the latter? I've not been able to find any example questions online so would look to source some if it'll be on my briefing.
Also, as someone who's successfully been through the application process- where do you stand on attempting the example plan ex prior to briefing? I know it says not to do it as there are limited examples so it's best not to waste one until you've been shown how to do it, I just don't want to perform well everywhere else then let myself down with a bad plan ex.

Thanks

I know you said you'd answer any questions about main board so I hope you don't mind but didn't see the point in making a new thread just to ask these two questions about Briefing.

Ive been having a read around and couldn't find a reliable answer, is the Memory and Attention test in Briefing & Main Board or just the latter? I've not been able to find any example questions online so would look to source some if it'll be on my briefing.
Also, as someone who's successfully been through the application process- where do you stand on attempting the example plan ex prior to briefing? I know it says not to do it as there are limited examples so it's best not to waste one until you've been shown how to do it, I just don't want to perform well everywhere else then let myself down with a bad plan ex.

Thanks
Memory and attention test is only at Main Board. They honestly weren't that bad - just stay calm whilst doing them.
I hadn't attempted one prior to briefing, as long as you follow the layout that they require (and show you), you should be fine!

Pig1goat

Swinger

Thanks
Rex mundi,

Any questions on briefing are just as relevant. Ask away.

As Rudland has said, the memory and attention test is only at main board, and it's nothing to worry about. I hadn't even thought about it until i did it. You cannot revise for it, it's one of those things that if you really struggle then it's simply not the career for you, but I doubt it's a heavily weighted part of your marks. (Just my opinion, I don't know how it's weighted).

As for the Plan Ex, I can only give you my experience. I didn't attempt any plan ex before my briefing, but panicked a bit in the simple one they gave me in briefing because I hadn't thought about it. You're already more organised than I was. It's the part everyone defacates bricks over, but it's not as bad as you think. Briefing is far more about them showing you the process, and if you can't follow the process just after they've explained it to you then again, you should probably be looking elsewhere if you can't apply the logic. As far as you're concerned old chap, they really don't expect you to know much at briefing (I haven't done any OTC etc.) If you show them you are genuinely keen, and that you have the potential to be an officer, they'll give you the chance you're looking for. All about potential at this point, seriously, be yourself and let them decide if you're what they're looking for. At the end of the day, they're probably right, whether you like it or not.

Rex mundi

Swinger
Haven't been able to find this online so curious if you know the answer. What's the BMI limit for the medical? I found something for male adults but didn't specify soldier or officer entry so am curious as to whether they may differ seeing as the run times do.
My fitness is up to the standard, but just haven't weighed myself in a while and don't have the foggiest what my BMI would be.

Crossface

Old-Salt
Haven't been able to find this online so curious if you know the answer. What's the BMI limit for the medical? I found something for male adults but didn't specify soldier or officer entry so am curious as to whether they may differ seeing as the run times do.
My fitness is up to the standard, but just haven't weighed myself in a while and don't have the foggiest what my BMI would be.
The BMI minimum is 18 and the max is 28 (with certain stipulations re: waist size) but the information should be easy to find with a decent Google or a question fired at the Army Jobs Facebook page as part of their daily Q&A

Rex mundi

Swinger
The BMI minimum is 18 and the max is 28 (with certain stipulations re: waist size) but the information should be easy to find with a decent Google or a question fired at the Army Jobs Facebook page as part of their daily Q&A
Cheers
28 was what I found on google but didn't stipulate what type of application that was for so wanted to confirm it.

Crossface

Old-Salt
Cheers
28 was what I found on google but didn't stipulate what type of application that was for so wanted to confirm it.
As far as I'm aware, the medical restrictions will be the same whether for soldier or officer applications, as the standards of health need to be the same. I think the only difference is officer applicants have a medical done sooner in the application than potential soliders.

Rex mundi

Swinger
Curious if anyone knows the height of the hurdles and distance of the long jumps?
Medical was all fine and have briefing coming up soon. I'm fine for the bleep test and the wall, however I've not been able to find out online any information about the jumps. Asked my CSM and he said around 6 foot for the long jump which seems quite low and supposedly 'the hurdles are the same ones you have in school' but seeing as many people seem to struggle with them I don't see how that could be. I do sets of box jumps on a 76cm box in the gym most days (occasionally falling spectacularly in front of everyone -great source of entertainment for the others, not so for my ego) and don't think I'd be able to clear much higher!

Crossface

Old-Salt
Curious if anyone knows the height of the hurdles and distance of the long jumps?
Medical was all fine and have briefing coming up soon. I'm fine for the bleep test and the wall, however I've not been able to find out online any information about the jumps. Asked my CSM and he said around 6 foot for the long jump which seems quite low and supposedly 'the hurdles are the same ones you have in school' but seeing as many people seem to struggle with them I don't see how that could be. I do sets of box jumps on a 76cm box in the gym most days (occasionally falling spectacularly in front of everyone -great source of entertainment for the others, not so for my ego) and don't think I'd be able to clear much higher!
The distance for the long jump may be slightly longer, but nothing to worry about - with a decent run up and jump I cleared it first go having not practiced long jump since school.

For the hurdles, you're probably fine if you can static jump that high. Just practice jumping forwards and landing, as you won't have the box to land on.
The thing that causes people problems (myself included) is the technique, as well as the fact there's 2 in short succession and for Briefing, you'll be doing the whole thing in an ill-fitting boiler suit. The overalls were the biggest problem for me, I had the mobility for squats but getting my legs out of the way after the jump was more difficult.

Rex mundi

Swinger
The distance for the long jump may be slightly longer, but nothing to worry about - with a decent run up and jump I cleared it first go having not practiced long jump since school.

For the hurdles, you're probably fine if you can static jump that high. Just practice jumping forwards and landing, as you won't have the box to land on.
The thing that causes people problems (myself included) is the technique, as well as the fact there's 2 in short succession and for Briefing, you'll be doing the whole thing in an ill-fitting boiler suit. The overalls were the biggest problem for me, I had the mobility for squats but getting my legs out of the way after the jump was more difficult.
Thanks for the reply. Do they advise you to hurdle them like actual hurdlers would or to do a two-footed jump? Secondly, I'm assuming that the hurdles are to be done with a fairly high paced run up and not comfortably standing still being able to judge it a bit better?

Crossface

Old-Salt
Thanks for the reply. Do they advise you to hurdle them like actual hurdlers would or to do a two-footed jump? Secondly, I'm assuming that the hurdles are to be done with a fairly high paced run up and not comfortably standing still being able to judge it a bit better?
They don't advise on technique other than to pretty much say you can get over them however you like. There's 2 to clear, so you can't really do a run up for both. It's just up to your judgement on the day, and whether you think you can hurdle it or jump it and what you're more comfortable with. By I'd say keep practicing your box jumps and then at least you'll have the option.

cpunk

LE
The long jump is certainly more than 6 feet (closer to 10') and the hurdles are about 3' 6" for male candidates, slightly lower for females. The best way to get over the hurdles is, unsurprisingly, to hurdle them rather than trying a static jump as you're against the clock during the obstacles at both Briefing and Main Board and a static jump will slow you down. You will be specifically told not to attempt to dive over the hurdles for elf'n'safety reasons.

Latest Threads