Muzzle loaders, show us yer kit!

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Drlligaf, Jun 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have had Rifles hot or not etc, now it's the turn of those who love smoke, flames and evil smells. My humble offering:

Top to bottom, Charles Moore percussion 44 cal, beneath that another Charles Moore flint lock, 44/45cal with rifled and the ultimate in hi-tech, a smooth bore with a round of NAPUSDS ammo. The Charles Moore in action. Last but not least for the heavy artillery fans, a scale model ships cannon in 45 cal hurling death and destruction at a Fig 11 (which it hit!)

Attached Files:

2. I can already smell stale pipe tobacco, and a hint of damp hemp from your jumpers.

Though I do see muzzle loading as fun (depending on how serious the people on the range are at the time you over-charge your cannon, and stuff it full of shingle, and bolts)

3. I am being seduced by the black art. Been on a black powder shooting day and loved it.
    Like the mechanics of the process smells et al. Doing another day on saturday.
    At the risk of being cliched fancy getting a Brown Bess pref as per American revolution period. Any tips on buying one?....Cheap? Henry crank catalogue getting a bit dogeared now, erring towards an Indian Bess But any advice will be helpful.

4. I would have thought that Croque Monsieur would have reacted by now, he is something of an expert on the long guns.

5. Bloody Britain! Ever tried getting a license for these things if you live in digs? Fnarking impossible. As a result I can own the buggers but I cannae fire 'em, much to my chagrin.

My latest acquisition, an Afghan jezail. 43.25in watered steel barrel of 20 bore (or thereabouts), with silver inlay work and original EIC Baker-pattern lock, converted locally to percussion ignition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. I reckon you could shoot at 25 mtrs at thing and rest the muzzle on the target!

7. No, no get away from me. Aaaarghhh. OK you b'stards, I am in. I love old muzzle loaders and if I survive my current employment and retire, I will be there. Do you have bespoke anoraks?

8. Ive still got 2 repro matchlocks from my time in the SK as a kid... both proofed for ball. also an enfield 1854 3 band musket ..

love the folded barrel on that afghan piece air hippo... is it stub twist ?

9. or... is it wootz ????

10. Far as I can tell it's pattern-welded Damascus. The trouble is that the terms "Wootz" and "Damascus" are at best ill-defined (a common problem - same as with "flintlock", "miquelet", "snaphaunce" and "firelock"). One of the chaps on a forum I frequent reckoned it might be Turkish, but I can't be sure in the absence of a signature or similar. She weighs a bloody tonne, though, which is generally a Good Thing with these Islamic pieces as I understand it...

11. WHERE ON EARTH DID YOU GET THAT GIGANTIC CLAW HAMMER FROM !!! I want one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Its gorgeous air hippo ! if you can see a replicating star pattern (or squashed diamond, or distorted ladder effect) going round in a spiral band then that is a classic stub swist pattern weld.

wootz is a crucible steel with a very tight grain to it, it is a material for fine blades, damascus is folded and folded forgewelded 2 or more dissimilar steels with billet manipulation to determine end pattern, and pattern welded usually refers to a twisted billet, or usually 2 to 4 of them welded side by side. but yes it is confusing. good that its heavy, I am guessing there is plenty left of the inside of the barrel and its not too corroded, I have seen them very thin through corrosion.

13. Aye, the weight is reassuring. I've got another one which was much cheaper and is much cruder - weighs about 1/2 what this one does, and has a one-steel barrel. It's nowhere near the quality, but a workmanlike old bugger for all that. Sorry about the poor pic:

Own jezail 10.jpg

14. Ooooh I missed this thread. I can already smell the sulphur, pipe baccy and leather waistcoat soaked in grime and festooned with patches.

Here are a few pörn pics of one or two front stuffers...

On the left:

French M1833 cavalry officer pistol: First military percussion pistol built new as percussion (as opposed to upgraded), also has a Delvigne contricted breech, rifled sighted damascus barrel, .69".
    Dutch M1854 cavalry carbine: Tiny thing, bloody great big ring on the hammer to help cocking with gloves on, ramrod was carried on the saddle, rifled, 0.62".
    Swedish M1855 naval rifle: Bog standard minié rifle, based on period French muskets, has nifty brass band on ramrod head to protect rifling during loading, 0.60".
    Swiss M1815/42/59 minié rifle: Flintlock musket upgraded to percussion post 1842 (completely new percussion breech portion, lock upgraded) and upgraded to fire miniés post 1859 (rifled, adjustable rear sight, ramrod head cavity modified), 0.69".

On the right:

Spanish M1864 Kerr navy revolver: The Spaniards bought the machinery from the Brits to produce these pistols which are very very well made, but nevertheless obsolete at time of issue. 0.46".
    British Long Sea Service pistol, circa 1800, need I say more? One of my favourites!
    Swiss 1815 musket: Based on French M1777, standard continental squaddy musket, 0.69".

Attached Files:

15. This is Bessie, an 8 bore Blunderbuss with a B.Bess action, great fun with 1.5oz of Buckshot over 5dram of powder!

Attached Files: