Muzzle brakes

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Mar 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I tried a new design of muzzle brake on my rifle last night -- it almost makes it shoot like an exceptionally noisy 22.

The problem is, with all these things, that the better a brake works, the less pleasant it is for the shooter and those around him.

My old brake actually had forward-raked baffles, and whilst it did work better than the military flash suppressor, it was still kak. The new one has rearward-raked baffles , works brilliantly, but on the indoor range it gases you quite significantly.

Oh well, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

As an interesting sidenote, I got a proper anorak book about brakes a couple of months ago from a guy that designs and builds accurate ones. His research had led him to the following conclusions:

-- to be accurate, a brake must be symmetrical top to bottom and left to right.
    -- for hunting use, holes raked 7° forwards are the right compromise between recoil reduction and deafening yourself and your buddies.

He was very much a fan of circular holes rather than slots, which I found rather interesting. One thing that was kind of odd was that he defined an "accurate" brake as not only one which shot accurately, but one which did not cause the point of impact to change when you put it on or took it off. It's worth noting that most of the brake manufacturers whose market is more geared towards practical rifle make asymmetric breaks which divert gas a little more upwards and do result in a higher point of impact.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Good points there, very interesting!