Muzzel loaders and Black Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by just_plain_dave, Oct 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,
    Are there any muzzel loaders or black powder types out there prepared to share there dark arts?? A Club or a couple of individuals would be great!!

2. Can't help, but I have fired flintlock pistols and the response time is measured in aeons and you can more or less see the ball fly downrange. Lots of fun!

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Maybe you should indicate where you are and what you are interested in?

There are a few very knowledgeable folks on this forum.

4. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Depends on where you are. Here, where I am, we have a club that meets once a month on the 25m range and have all sorts of kit, and not just black powder. Want to fire the mighty Lee-Enfield? That is a club gun.

5. In response.

Personally in Camberley area, Friends in Bath area.
    Want to shoot things (guns not people) Experience something different, done the 7.62 stuff (including belt), 5.56 (dull, dull, dull), sub cal 66mm, .5 on anti tank stuff, bows and arrows. need something different and my cuz shaun of the 95th seems to have fun with these black powder thingys.

6. old_fat_and_hairy

Ah, you have a realtive in the 95Th? I saw them back in the summer. Good fun.

I think - from memory - in your area there are a couple of black powder clubs.

http://mlagb.com/blackpowder/index.htm but these people would know.

I used to shoot a black powder revolver, Remington .44 and it was superb fun, but dedication needed because of the cleaning, and casting the balls.

7. TVM
    Had a scan just the stuff. Sunday afternoon is now filled.

8. old_fat_and_hairy

Happy to help.

9. Be warned: if you want to shoot muzzle loading rifles seriously it appears you have to grow a beard or buy a traction engine.

10. old_fat_and_hairy

I haven't got a traction engine!

11. No matter. Any OC hobby will do.

12. HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! SO TRUE! :clap:

13. old_fat_and_hairy

But if you want to shoot them frivolously then no face furniture or antiquated vehicles required. Just a tolerance for dirty hands and lack of taste in the mouth.

14. Must be true, I shoot a Brown Bess musket and am regularly accused of having no taste and being dirty!

Going out in public after a session with Bessie always draws a few looks at my speckled face and wrinkled noses as the heady odour of rotten eggs follows me around.

15. And no right eybrow either?