Muzzel loaders and Black Powder

Can't help, but I have fired flintlock pistols and the response time is measured in aeons and you can more or less see the ball fly downrange. Lots of fun!

Alsacien

MIA
just_plain_dave said:
Gents,
Are there any muzzel loaders or black powder types out there prepared to share there dark arts?? A Club or a couple of individuals would be great!!
Maybe you should indicate where you are and what you are interested in?

There are a few very knowledgeable folks on this forum.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Depends on where you are. Here, where I am, we have a club that meets once a month on the 25m range and have all sorts of kit, and not just black powder. Want to fire the mighty Lee-Enfield? That is a club gun.

In response.

Personally in Camberley area, Friends in Bath area.
Want to shoot things (guns not people) Experience something different, done the 7.62 stuff (including belt), 5.56 (dull, dull, dull), sub cal 66mm, .5 on anti tank stuff, bows and arrows. need something different and my cuz shaun of the 95th seems to have fun with these black powder thingys.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ah, you have a realtive in the 95Th? I saw them back in the summer. Good fun.

I think - from memory - in your area there are a couple of black powder clubs.

http://mlagb.com/blackpowder/index.htm but these people would know.

I used to shoot a black powder revolver, Remington .44 and it was superb fun, but dedication needed because of the cleaning, and casting the balls.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Happy to help.

just_plain_dave said:
TVM
Had a scan just the stuff. Sunday afternoon is now filled.
Be warned: if you want to shoot muzzle loading rifles seriously it appears you have to grow a beard or buy a traction engine.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Blogg said:
just_plain_dave said:
TVM
Be warned: if you want to shoot muzzle loading rifles seriously it appears you have to grow a beard or buy a traction engine.
I haven't got a traction engine!

Blogg said:
just_plain_dave said:
TVM
HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! SO TRUE! :clap:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
EX_STAB said:
Blogg said:
just_plain_dave said:
TVM
HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! SO TRUE! :clap:
But if you want to shoot them frivolously then no face furniture or antiquated vehicles required. Just a tolerance for dirty hands and lack of taste in the mouth.

old_fat_and_hairy said:
But if you want to shoot them frivolously then no face furniture or antiquated vehicles required. Just a tolerance for dirty hands and lack of taste in the mouth.
Must be true, I shoot a Brown Bess musket and am regularly accused of having no taste and being dirty!

Going out in public after a session with Bessie always draws a few looks at my speckled face and wrinkled noses as the heady odour of rotten eggs follows me around.

Blodders said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
Must be true, I shoot a Brown Bess musket and am regularly accused of having no taste and being dirty!

Going out in public after a session with Bessie always draws a few looks at my speckled face and wrinkled noses as the heady odour of rotten eggs follows me around.
And no right eybrow either?

jpd is not the only one who needs a little help. Is there anyone who can tell me which flints are the best for pistols, I have used flints from Henry Krank, but I hear that there are also artificial flints/stones for flintlocks. Also is there any difference in effect between priming powder and Swiss no 2 for the pan?

Drlligaf said:
jpd is not the only one who needs a little help. Is there anyone who can tell me which flints are the best for pistols, I have used flints from Henry Krank, but I hear that there are also artificial flints/stones for flintlocks. Also is there any difference in effect between priming powder and Swiss no 2 for the pan?
I have tried German cut agate "flints" but they don't seem to be as good as natural black english flints. Almost impossible to tell when they are going to shatter.. sometomes you get a good one, sometomes not..

Dysons sometimes have them:

www.peterdyson.co.uk

Swiss priming powder seems much better than No2...
The very fine grain gives a fast sharp flash and does not seem to block the vent as much.

HE117 said:
Drlligaf said:
I have tried German cut agate "flints" but they don't seem to be as good as natural black english flints. Almost impossible to tell when they are going to shatter.. sometomes you get a good one, sometomes not..

Dysons sometimes have them:

www.peterdyson.co.uk

Swiss priming powder seems much better than No2...
The very fine grain gives a fast sharp flash and does not seem to block the vent as much.
Thanks for that HE 117, I think that I will stick to the flints from H Krank. I might even dig deep into my pocket for some priming powder, although so far 2.5 grns of No2 in the pan does the trick, but it's early days for me still.

Alsacien

MIA
Well I'm still not making clouds of smoke with my Snider.
Its now fully restored to firing condition, I have hand made cases, primers, powder and cast bullets all lubed up ready to go.

What I don't have are my .590 dies and base plugs which I paid $216 for via Paypal back in April to Old Yoti/Coyote in the States.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~momsoldguns/

Any ideas?