Muzzel loaded rifle shoots a mile and a half

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by naguere, Dec 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. thats does it lets **** off the A2 Pop gun and crash out the brown bess's

2. Yes.

Why wouldn't it be? Muzzle loaders have just the same ballistics as breech loaders, the only issue is getting the bullet (which must be a perfect seal with the barrel to prevent losing too much propulsive force) down the barrel in the first place.

If nothing else, the 81mm is breech loading and that fires far further than a mile.

• Like Like x 1
  3. British target shooters were using muzzle loaders at 1000+ yards over 150 years ago. A mile and half would be pushing the ballistic limit of a muzzle loader, but perfectly feasible if the guy in question did indeed fire up into the air. The bullet wouldn't have much velocity at that range, but probably still enough to penetrate someone.

UK's first magazine rifle, the Lee Metford, actually used a .303 round with a black powder propellant - later switched to cordite. Even these black powder rounds were found to have an effective killing range of about 3,600 yards. In the pre-machine gun era, rifles were fitted with "volley sights" graduated to 2,800 yards - the idea being that a rifle company would bring down enough weight and density of fire at this range to give a "beaten zone" similar to that of a machine gun.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Breech loading..........really!

5. Hmm?

6. The 'expert' in that story sounds like a right ******* mong.

"For a bullet to kill someone after traveling a mile and a half is "a practical impossibility," said Greg Danas, a Lowell, Mass., firearms expert who testifies in court as an expert witness. "The muzzle loader, or any firearm for that matter, isn't going to fire a projectile that far.""

How far will 5.56mm and 7.62mm go if nothing gets in their way?

"
    There have been incidents in the military when bullets have gone that distance and killed someone, he said, but it is not likely to happen if it is not intentional. It would require someone taking careful aim and making sure the firearm is steady, he said. A bullet going that far would lose its velocity and direction, he said."

Surely all that it requires if for some poor bastard to have part of their body in the same place as the bullet at the same time?

• Like Like x 2
  7. I would say this is entirely possible and extremely unlikely, the expert however is assuming that the shot was aimed and not just a matter of coincidence. At the end of the day it is simple enough to look at the bullet and see if it came from a muzzle loader, they tend to be rather large, but I think they need to look at other possible explanations as well.
    Like the guy was a lot closer and when he realised he'd hit somebody he f*cked off smartish and got his family to say he was at home but admitted firing the rifle just in case they found some evidence like powder mix, ramrod markings or god knows what these days.
    I smell something and it ain't just blackpowder

8. like the Mark Twain quote about a youth who couldnt hit a cathedral with a gatling gun at 30yrds picking up an old empty musket and killing his mother unerringly at 100, everytime.

9. well whatever the truth of this chaps claims... there are those on here (not me) who could run the mile and a half after the shot and stab him up a bit.. before he could stuff another madly tightly fitting ball down the ultra long barrel.

10. Sam, Sam pick up thy musket lad and BLAM!!!

11. Apologies - I'm a mong. Clearly I meant to write that the 81mm is MUZZLE loading and yet manages to fire a long way.

12. That's because it has a polycarbonate obturating ring to prevent forward gas seepage and around 150 grammes of propellant at its arse end. You would go along way if somebody fired that up your jacksie :)

13. Are you trying to seduce me?

Because it's kind of working