Mutton - The Great English Meat

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Stonker, Feb 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now, time was that mutton (meat from a sheep older than two years) was the meat of choice for the Englishman's dining table (hence so many pubs called the Shoulder of Mutton)

I am told it has a brilliant flavour, but (aside from really slow-cooked middle-eatern scoff, possibly involving goats) I haven't ever had mutton cooked in the English style, apart from my own efforts, which - with the best will in the world - were far from tender, and thus went down not at all well with 'er indoors, nor did they find favour with 3 teeenage carnivores.

Prompted by the Slow Cookers thread, here I am looking for sensible suggestions.

Over to you lot. (I hope)

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

wellington lived on roasted mutton, martin from corrie road says - slow roast it then whack the heat up and shove a giant yorkshire pudding under it to absorb the juices.

a lot depends on the cut but a slow roast will stop it being chewy. 40 mins on high then hours on low.

3. Try Scotch Pies, they're made with mutton and are luvverly!

• Like Like x 2

4. That's a raw one..... the jocks like them battered and deep fried.

5. They really aren't.

• Like Like x 2
  6. It's going to depend on the cut of course. I find that for most meats, a hot blast (200) for 15 - 30 mins followed by 30 mins a lb at 180. For larger or tougher joints like brisket then go for 45 mins / lb at 160. Less fatty joints can be foil wrapped after teh blast. Always choose a joint that has a good bit of fat on it as it is the fat that carries the flavour and keeps it moist.

Well that's my view anyway.

7. Cover the meat and roast it slower for longer. Keep it moist, start it off with half a glass of wine or water in the bottom of the tin and every time you drain the juices top up the wine/water again.

Trouble with the UK is it's Lamb or Mutton. There's nothing in between like Hoggart. So some of the meat is a bit old to be classified as Lamb and a bit young to be called Mutton.

8. Allow me to help - you can get Hogget through this fella Salt Marsh Lamb

Enjoy.

P.S. Scotch pies? Unacceptable!

9. Try this one:
    Roasting potatoes quartered
    Lean mutton meat cut to the same size as the potato
    Few sprigs of rosemary,
    A Fúck ton of olive oil

Mix together in a bowl so oil covers the lot. Throw on to a roasting dish, spreading it out in to one layer. Chuck-on big lumpy pieces of rock salt and pepper corns. Place in the top of a really hot oven for 30 minutes then stir around to get coloured all over and return to the oven. Remove when the potatoes are done. Serve with some bread to mop up the oil straight from the dish. It's crispy, the lamb is fibrous and tender and it is generally yummy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Curry.

The only thing better than mutton in a curry is goat.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mebbe.

But this thread's about finding ways to cook mutton that is delicious without currying it.

12. Mutton is over 3 years old. Put in a deep roasting tin, season the meat, place a couple of peeled onions and carrots round it. Add a cup of red wine and water. Cover with bacofoil and roast at 160c for 2 hours. Remove from the oven, take off the foil, drain the liquid for gravy. Add more water / wine and carry on roasting at 140c until very tender. The slower you cook the tenderer the meat. When cooked let it rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. Traditionally served with caper or bread sauce but just as nice with mint sauce.

13. Ah so, loundeye....

Garlic, rosemary, olive oil, rock salt. Brown the leg of mutton in a large pan then viciously attack it with a knife, stabbing it repeatedly. Rub the oil in and sprinkle with salt as well as shoving bits of garlic and rosemary into the holes. Stick in a covered roasting tin with an inch of water in the bottom and do on high heat for 30 minutes, then turn down to 140 deg C and let it roast slowly for around 6-8 hours. Two hours before serving, chuck in your whole onions, spuds, sliced carrots and chopped celery. The liquid makes a good gravy once thickened with Bisto or a roue.

14. Used to be available - when Mrs GB was young, she ate hogget as a family meal regularly. You can still find it in Asian shops, although it seems mostly to be halal. Personally, I prefer mutton - not much good for kebab or similar, but when slow-roasted or casseroled, it's fantastic.