Mutiny in Whitehall?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Jan 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An interesting article in the Times today. Whitehall has lately sprung more leaks than a body-piercer's waterbed.

This is clearly because of the massive damage caused by the Hutton and Butler inquiries (ignore the Hutton report, just read the evidence) to trust in government and in institutions that will outlast Bliar's tenure in Downing Street. The hamsters who turn the wheels of power (my copyrighted metaphor! ;))are unhappy at what has gone on in the past and won't simply run on blindly any longer.

I suspect that any attempt at an Iraq re-run elsewhere (Iran, Syria) would be firmly nipped in the bud by future leaks. If the evidence emails and minutes produced by Hutton and Butler had been leaked in the runup to Iraq, I doubt the war would have happened.

The New Statesman might as well be added to the distribution list of embarrasing documents.

2. msr

msr LE

Mr PVRd,

I wouldn't be so sure: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19269-2011570,00.html

msr

3. Sorry, when I looked on this thread, I half expected the mutiny because their lead crystal mop buckets had been taken away!!!

4. Hoist by their own petard, methinks.

This government brought in the practice of leaking information to gauge public opinion on policy. If they suffer because of it, tough t1t.