Mustard anyone?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
A LOT of work was done to clean up RAF Bowes Moor at the same time, and AFAIK, FFEd.
My OH wrote a mahoosive MOD paper on RAF site clearance of legacy CW a few years ago, I'll look it up.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember exercising on Bramley about ten years ago and a ban on digging in was still in force (as it had been in 96, due to Mustard having been found by an exercising unit the year before). I'm amazed that a housing estate was built on any of it.

I remember exercising on Bramley about ten years ago and a ban on digging in was still in force (as it had been in 96, due to Mustard having been found by an exercising unit the year before). I'm amazed that a housing estate was built on any of it.

The only part that has been developed (from Google maps aerial photo, 2020) remains the area from the fire-station to the road North of the site and doesn't appear to have been expanded since the 90s. This was the part of the camp used for accomodation and so on, hence it was not used for manufacturing or dumping.

Edit: I increased the magnification and the area containing the camp cinema, just East of the fire-station, and a few other old buildings is now also a civvy redevelopment, so that seems to have occurred this century. It is still well North of the area of the site having contamination 'problems' though.

Last edited:
Hence why chilmark, Bramley and other such sites cannot be sold as they cannot be certified FFE.

The situation you describe is not negligence, it’s a legacy issue that is very difficult to resolve. The was an Op many years ago to clear Bramle, possibly Op Centurion.

Op Apple in the late ‘80s