Mustard anyone?

Truxx

LE
A chum of mine (not the main protagonist) gets off remarkably lightly.

But

I knew there was dodgy stuff there, and so where does that leave the MOD? Either they knew it was there and kept schtum (naughty) or they didn't (and should have done (naughty))

There was also, apparently, some interesting markings on the containers.

I see according to the Sky News report that Mustard Gas was used in WW2 .... the only occasion I am aware of is when the Americans unintentionally released a cloud of gas when a ship carrying it was bombed in Bari Port in 1943 ....

ETA linky ... SS John Harvey - Wikipedia

Last edited:
How does anybody come to be in possession of two Bren Guns without anybody knowing?

Presumably they’d have serial numbers and would have passed through licensed firearms dealers’ hands?

How does anybody come to be in possession of two Bren Guns without anybody knowing?

Easier done than you might believe. It could be he just had component parts for one. Find a breech block for one, stick it in your pocket as a keep sake, and you're knackered. The HO guidance on Firearms even uses Bren's as an example of how easy it is to get caught out by the parts for one.

The bit that caught my eye was this:
"It was designed to cover up the fact that the three of you had been involved in transporting these items away from the site where you had found them and were in unlawful possession of these items."

That raises all sorts of interesting questions.

I see according to the Sky News report that Mustard Gas was used in WW2 .... the only occasion I am aware of is when the Americans unintentionally released a cloud of gas when a ship carrying it was bombed in Bari Port in 1943 ....
Australia 1942 (IIRC) On own troops to determine effectiveness in tropical environment

A great team effort. Leading Seaman (Diver) Matt O'Brien of Portsmouth-based Southern Diving Unit 2 (SDU2) was subsequently awarded a Queen's Commendation for Bravery for his involvement in the eight-day operation.

London Gazette Operational Awards 23 Nov 2018.jpg

Australia 1942 (IIRC) On own troops to determine effectiveness in tropical environment

Now that you mention that, it sparked a memory of an RAAF base south of Darwin (Adelaide River area) that allegedly held a store of chemical (possible mustard).

E2A; quick google search brought up this, although not the location I was thinking of.

'As Australia had ratified the Geneva Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare in 1930, the new chemical warfare program was highly secretive. The people who served in Australia’s Chemical Warfare Service were sworn to secrecy and had to “sign documents, which under the Crimes Act, bound them not to disclose the nature of their work” (International Humanitarian Law - Treaties & Documents and Burns cited in Plunkett, 2007, p:50). There were at least five Chemical Warfare Depots operated by the British Army in Australia, although the stockpiles were nominally for joint British/Australian use. Three were located in disused railway tunnels Glenbrook, Clarence and Picton near Sydney. Mustard Gas was stored at Glenbrook, and Phosgene at Clarence. Other storage locations were at Hume Camp near Albury in Victoria, and at a site adjacent to Burrell Creek about 88 miles south of Darwin (Australia: Chemical Weapons).'

Also - http://www.mustardgas.org/wp-content/uploads/Deadly-But-Someone-Had-To-Do-The-Job.pdf

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sounds like they opened a box to see what they had and got a dose

Truxx

LE

Presumably they’d have serial numbers and would have passed through licensed firearms dealers’ hands?
They were deactivated weapons that he was in the process of re-activating.

Truxx

LE
Sounds like they opened a box to see what they had and got a dose
That's exactly what they did. These items were dug up essentially under a housing estate, or at least very close to one. An area by the way that had no kind of danger markings or information to the unwary of any kind. What markings they could find on the canisters were after the date where UK was supposed to have stopped manufacturing mustard gas.

The really stupid bit was chucking them in a lake when it was discovered that they were a bit nasty

Last edited:

oldfecker

Clanker
A chum of mine (not the main protagonist) gets off remarkably lightly.

But

I knew there was dodgy stuff there, and so where does that leave the MOD? Either they knew it was there and kept schtum (naughty) or they didn't (and should have done (naughty))

There was also, apparently, some interesting markings on the containers.

The United Kingdom held a sizeable amount of chemical weapons during WW2 (just in case).

After WW2, most of it was buried.

I once saw a list of potential burial sites. The term ‘potential’ indicates that we don’t actually know what’s buried where.

As you say, naughty.

Truxx

LE
That raises all sorts of interesting questions.

Which was exactly my reason for posting it. When I first heard that my chum was in trouble for digging something up from that site I laughingly said "what, mustard gas?" "how the feck did you know that?" was the response.

Now I had known about it, and other sites, for years and yet the MOD seems to have had collective amnesia on the subject and bravely steered well clear of both the investigation and the court case.

If anyone lives in the housing estate near the old Bramley training area in Hampshire I strongly recommend that they do not dig too deep either.

The United Kingdom held a sizeable amount of chemical weapons during WW2 (just in case).

After WW2, most of it was buried.

I once saw a list of potential burial sites. The term ‘potential’ indicates that we don’t actually know what’s buried where.

As you say, naughty.

And why many Defence estate sites can never be sold as they can’t be certified FFE or chemical contamination.

They were deactivated weapons that he was in the process of re-activating.

Then he was even dumber than the mustard gas incident would indicate. Sorry to be harsh there, but That's really quite clearly a no no. Even a cursory glance or any attachment to Firearms law shows that.

Truxx

LE
Then he was even dumber than the mustard gas incident would indicate. Sorry to be harsh there, but That's really quite clearly a no no. Even a cursory glance or any attachment to Firearms law shows that.
The bloke with the brens deserved everything he got plus a bit more.

Not just as a result of the guns either.