must reads at the time

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ordinaryforces, Dec 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As with the comic thread nostalgia what was the must reads in your time?
    going back many years it was J T edson or Sven Hassell. what was it in your time? or are you to busy with computer games?
    JT edson was shyte he would spend 10 pages describing his gun ffs...and the only razz mags then consisted of women with no genital region....often puzzled me that.
  2. C.S.Lewis, I had a box set of all her Chronicles Of Narnia books when I was a kid.
  3. HER?
    • Like Like x 3
  4. 'The Survivalist' series by Jerry Ahern, as well as the 'Edge' western series by George Gilmour. Both utter nonsense, but fun reads at the time anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. <blush> :-/
  6. Sven Hassel, Leo Kessler 'Wotan' series, and there were a load of hell's angel type pulp fiction books.

Guy Sajer, 'The forgotten soldier'

Oh and Biggles.
  7. 'Ginger Man' by JP Dunleavy was a book much passed around MB38,Hohne in '60's.
  8. The Destroyer by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. Complete and utter tripe: a parody of a parody. A Newark cop, Remo Williams, who is framed for murder and then 'executed', only to be recruited to a shadowy organsation where he is taught implausible martial arts by a 70-odd year old Korean master..........the concept was so tongue in cheek that it could safely be placed in a Sunshine Coach and instantly blend in with the other occupants.

Absolutely riveting, at 0300 in a smelly Ops Room. I read the lot. Twice.
  9. Wasn't he formally known as Josiah C Hedges, a total headcase, a bit like Josey Wales with a bigger attitude problem. Remember in one book he killed a young boy by cutting his throat rather than let him be bummed by Commanches....he was all heart.

Another episode, which drove him even more mental then what he seen and done during the Civil War, was when he got back from a long journey to find that his cabin and new wife had been attacked by Apaches...she was safe as she holed up in the safe room/cupboard. type thing...trouble was she couldn't get out and he opened the door of it ,to find her mummified corpse smiling at him....oops!

Not sure where the author got his ideals from but he needed therapy!

What about Mack Bolan? A bit like a Chuck Norris/Jason Bourne combo, who constantly wore a black roll neck jumper and was shit hot at, everything known to man.

Nick Stone is the current man to beat. His latest jaunt re Pirates, is about as far as he can go in terms of ahem, 'relative credibility' ...ffs, give him some R'n'R, for about 10 fecking years!
  10. Blimey! That's going back, wonder if it was the same copy I read in MB 34?
  11. Mack Bolan was quality
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Journeyman Tailor and Harry's Game by Gerald Seymour... Cracking novels fictitious, excellent reads of the troubles in NI.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Hornblower series by C S Forrester, Cruel Sea, Nicholas Monserat, The Last Grain Race, Eric Newby, etc etc and thats why I was always seasick.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. As a prolific reader my list would be huge. I tended to read an author's entire works and usually in sequence if I could. Wasn't unusual to have several books on the go at once. At my first school I was probably the first of my peers to join the library. When I moved schools, I was the Only one! I still know my first library ticket number from when they first went computerised; 4000336207. It's one of those things you never forget, like postcodes of where you've lived. Hmmm, maybe I sound like a geek..., or maybe not. OK then, authors. Carre, Desmond Bagley, Terence Strong, Dickens, most of the "classics" too. One of probably the few people to have read all of Ian Flemming's books, and so finds all the James bond films dissapointing. Particularly the pigging Roger More rubbish! I can't understand why so many people don't find at least some time to read, and I regard those who wait for a film to come out instead to be pretty thick. People saw me reading Jungle Book at school, and the thickos though it was the walt disney story! They had never heard of Kipling, and that included some of the Teachers! Fucking bunch of lefties they were too. Oh, excuse me, it's time for meds....
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Don't think I've ever read a bad Len Deighton book, and I went through a Philip K. Dick phase at school after inheriting a pile of books from my cousin: sci-fi at its best.