• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

must reads at the time

As with the comic thread nostalgia what was the must reads in your time?
going back many years it was J T edson or Sven Hassell. what was it in your time? or are you to busy with computer games?
JT edson was shyte he would spend 10 pages describing his gun ffs...and the only razz mags then consisted of women with no genital region....often puzzled me that.

Sven Hassel, Leo Kessler 'Wotan' series, and there were a load of hell's angel type pulp fiction books.

Guy Sajer, 'The forgotten soldier'

Oh and Biggles.

The Destroyer by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. Complete and utter tripe: a parody of a parody. A Newark cop, Remo Williams, who is framed for murder and then 'executed', only to be recruited to a shadowy organsation where he is taught implausible martial arts by a 70-odd year old Korean master..........the concept was so tongue in cheek that it could safely be placed in a Sunshine Coach and instantly blend in with the other occupants.

Absolutely riveting, at 0300 in a smelly Ops Room. I read the lot. Twice.

'The Survivalist' series by Jerry Ahern, as well as the 'Edge' western series by George Gilmour. Both utter nonsense, but fun reads at the time anyway.
Wasn't he formally known as Josiah C Hedges, a total headcase, a bit like Josey Wales with a bigger attitude problem. Remember in one book he killed a young boy by cutting his throat rather than let him be bummed by Commanches....he was all heart.

Another episode, which drove him even more mental then what he seen and done during the Civil War, was when he got back from a long journey to find that his cabin and new wife had been attacked by Apaches...she was safe as she holed up in the safe room/cupboard. type thing...trouble was she couldn't get out and he opened the door of it ,to find her mummified corpse smiling at him....oops!

Not sure where the author got his ideals from but he needed therapy!

What about Mack Bolan? A bit like a Chuck Norris/Jason Bourne combo, who constantly wore a black roll neck jumper and was shit hot at ...er, everything known to man.

Nick Stone is the current man to beat. His latest jaunt re Pirates, is about as far as he can go in terms of ahem, 'relative credibility' ...ffs, give him some R'n'R, for about 10 fecking years!

As a prolific reader my list would be huge. I tended to read an author's entire works and usually in sequence if I could. Wasn't unusual to have several books on the go at once. At my first school I was probably the first of my peers to join the library. When I moved schools, I was the Only one! I still know my first library ticket number from when they first went computerised; 4000336207. It's one of those things you never forget, like postcodes of where you've lived. Hmmm, maybe I sound like a geek..., or maybe not. OK then, authors. Carre, Desmond Bagley, Terence Strong, Dickens, most of the "classics" too. One of probably the few people to have read all of Ian Flemming's books, and so finds all the James bond films dissapointing. Particularly the pigging Roger More rubbish! I can't understand why so many people don't find at least some time to read, and I regard those who wait for a film to come out instead to be pretty thick. People saw me reading Jungle Book at school, and the thickos though it was the walt disney story! They had never heard of Kipling, and that included some of the Teachers! Fucking bunch of lefties they were too. Oh, excuse me, it's time for meds....

Don't think I've ever read a bad Len Deighton book, and I went through a Philip K. Dick phase at school after inheriting a pile of books from my cousin: sci-fi at its best.

T

Tremaine

Len Deighton, Hook Line and Sinker, Game Set and Match. Or Winter. As a sprog; Ludlum was too heavy for me but got in to the books again after the Bourne movies. Which German war books, Kessler was it? had "Tiny", russian tank battles and wheels of (edit) terror? Green tea and fleas escapades. Used to read them on the train back from Paderborn to Blighty, not to the amusement of some passengers though....

First ever book: George Bourne - I Flew with Braddock. I was only 4. Teacher excused me from reading the school books.
Second book: WE Johns - Biggles and the Black Peril.

I'd read most of the Biggles books by the time I was 7, as well as The New Book of Knowledge encyclopaedia (8 Volumes). Also read "Bill und Jock in Deutschland" ("Modern Languages for the Services, No. 2, German From Scratch") which my mother had liberated from RAF Sutton Coldfield in 1945.)

Spent the next 4 years rereading the same books in an attempt to memorise them (e.g. I Flew With Braddock - Chapter One, Target For Tonight, "My name is Bourne, Sergeant George Bourne, and I flew with Braddock". I haven't even seen the book for 35 years but still remember the opening words).

There followed Devil's Guard, The Forgotten Soldier, Sven Hassel, Len Deighton, Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy, Gen Sir John Hackett, Harold Coyle, Dale Brown and many others with a military theme (in no particular order). Haynes Manuals were also a rivetting read, as was a 1936 edition of "Scouting for Boys". (No, not the paedophile handbook).

Pretty eclectic tastes in reading, although, the standard patter of Sven Hassell while in teens. Then a case of reading what other diggers where reading at the time which opened up a pretty broad array of topics, probably biased towards non-fiction.

Three books that I read as a kid readily spring to mind.

George MacDonald Fraser. The Flashman novels.

I recall one incident where Flashmans position is about to be overrun, so he hides under the nearest cover, the coward that he is, which just happens to be the Union flag. This is subsequently misinterpreted as a heroic deed, wrapping himself in his countries flag before impending doom. Flashman, the complete twat. Class.

William Golding. Lord of the Flies.

Fairly horrific reading, but I do recall enjoying this classic tale of school chums playing pranks on each other, and fire, lots of fire.

Clive King. Stig of the Dump

Barney, makes friends with a stone age bloke in a local tip, great adventures, and a terrific read for kids. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, young lad teaming up with an old tramp for shits and giggles.

Latest Threads